QM2 Dreamer's Western Caribbean Roll Call

Croozergirl

Hello CruiserGirl

My husband and I will be on the QM2 Caribbean Christmas also; we are so excited. I was on the QE2 in 2004 on Christmas day and the atmosphere was lovely. We recieved a gift in our stateroom and Father Christmas gave presents to all the children on board. In addition the ship was trimmed up lovely.

Thanks Shellie1964.

I knew that something spectacular would be done, but I was curious as to what. I look forward to meeting you and your husband onboard. I'm also curious to know if Dunn's River Falls is open Christmas Day. Anyway, do you know your cabin and dining time? I do. We'll have to meet up. Thanks!

Hi Croozergirl (sorry I spelt your name wrong before)

Yes it would be lovely to meet up. Our cabin is 10113. We had booked 2nd seating evening meal but we are looking at changing it to 1st sitting as I don't want to eat to late. I found out through this board that 2nd sitting finishes quite late.

How many of you are there; there is only me and my dear husband going.

I will google Dunn River Falls and try and find out if they are open Christmas Day. I am counting down the days.

I'm in 5157, second seating (that's better for me because I want to enjoy Afternoon Tea), and sailing solo. The Duns River Falls website listed Christmas Day as one of the days they were closed, but I just can't imagine cruise ships pulling into Jamaica on Christmas Day and the most popular site closed. My travel agent is waiting to hear back from Cunard on what the plan is for that day. They told him it was "still being worked out". Perhaps dinner at Todd English, WSY? I'm signing up for the excursions and the hair salon for the formal nights right away; I heard the salon is booked quickly.

My clothes and accessories have already been laid out so I don't forget anything. Message board recommended bringing your own (softer) toilet paper, detergent and dryer sheets, which I will.

91 days and counting!

Hi CroozerGirl

Even if you go by yourself, there will be plenty of friends to be made as everyone is so friendly.

Get you being so organised; I have got as far as hanging most of my cruise wear together in my wardrobe. I never seem to have any spare time; what with working etc. I still have to get a few pieces of clothes for my holiday.

I am also booking hair appointments for a couple of evenings.

I would tend to believe the Dun River web site; when we visited an island on Boxing day (day after Christmas day) most shops and interests were closed!! Christmas day had been a sea day.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Shelly

I would tend to believe the Dun River web site; when we visited an island on Boxing day (day after Christmas day) most shops and interests were closed!! Christmas day had been a sea day.

Shelly

Believe it or not we once spent New Year's Day in St Thomas and St John. We nearly starved to death. Nothing open on St John- Jitneys were running, beach coincessions (for renting mask and xnorley, and shops were not (of course this was a while ago, and a lot has changed. We finally dfound a second floor Arby's open in St Thomas (which sold beer, amazingly enough.) Nothing else (Shops included) was open in St Thomas!

We also had Christmas dinner at a Fried Chicken joint in Puerto Rico.

It's amazing how many places are like hat.

Karie

It's amazing how many places are like that.

If you go anywhere in the Christian world it shuts at Christmas. In this country don't expect to find anything open (unless you've pre booked) between midday on the 24th December and the 2nd January. We used to joke that the time to invade the UK was over Christmas - you wouldn't even get to hear about it until after New Year!

What I find amazing is that QM2 even bothers making a port on Christmas Day. I'd expect it to be at sea, when you can have the full benefit of the ship's services.

If you go anywhere in the Christian world it shuts at Christmas.

Yes, it sounds strange to me to expect any tourist attraction to open and any people to work there or in shops on Christmas in majorly Christian countries.

But I am sure there will be plenty of churches open and services offered. Thus the stop of the QM2 will allow passengers to celebrate this Christian holiday.

Thus the stop of the QM2 will allow passengers to celebrate this Christian holiday.

Won't there be a service on board for those who want to attend? On the QE2 last year there were only about 100 people at the midnight service on Christmas eve.

Thanks everyone,

I would tend to believe there would be a service onboard to celebrate Christmas. I'm still waiting to hear from my travel agent on what Cunard plans to do for its passengers that day since they will be in port on a Christian holiday. It certainly does make more sense to be at sea on that date. We'll see. As soon as I find out, I'll be sure to post.

I usually go on big trips by myself since my girlfriends have budgets, husbands and kids to consider when spending money. I don't mind it too much (of course, having bedwarmer to return to the cabin with is greatly missed). I went to Fiji two years ago and had the time of my life.

It will be so good to get away from December's coolness in Northern Virginia to bask in the 80 degree days of the Caribbean living the good life.

OK, this is what I found out. The ship's Excursions Desk will be operating on Christmas Day for Jamaica (Whew!), so apparently the tours will continue on that day. Specific tours will be shown in our documents when they arrive (which is typically about 45 days prior to departure).

There may be shops and stands that normally operate for the tourists that may be closed that day in observance of the holiday, however Cunard said that plenty WILL be open to take advantage of tourist business (dollars). We won't be the only ship to arrive in Jamaica that day. There will be activities all day onboard and it will be quite festive.:p

One other thing. There will be 3 Formal (not two), 1 Semiformal, and 1 Smart Casual evenings during the cruise. Cunard defines "Smart Casual" as no jeans, shorts, leggings, capris flip-flops, that kind of thing at the seated dinner. Oh, and there are "fashion police" who pull you aside and "kindly" remind you of the dress code for dinner (just so you know).:eek:

Planning on using White Star Service? Here's the breakdown:

Reservations are made 30 days in advance

Costs: weight of package is 1-30 pounds $130 EACH WAY! (ouch):mad:

31-50 pounds $150 each way

51-75 pounds $190 each way

Your package is picked up 1 wk prior to departure and will be placed in your stateroom.

Clothing and shoes only! No toiletries, souveniers, food, etc. It goes through Customs just like your checked and carry-on baggage. You have the option to only ship one way to Florida.

If you have your Booking#, you can call Cunard to provide them the following information: Passport #, Issue and Expiration Dates

Emergency Contact Information

This can be done anytime by calling 1-800-7CUNARD.

Archived