Swimming in waterfalls. Help Spleen!

bobbymcgee

I just got back from the July 4th POA cruise. My husband and I rented a car and took the road to Hana. We stopped at the Twin Falls - there are signs when you drive by (you can't miss it). Sorry, I don't recall exactly how far it is from the pier. You have to walk for what seemed like a mile to get to the falls though.

I just got back from the July 4th POA cruise. My husband and I rented a car and took the road to Hana. We stopped at the Twin Falls - there are signs when you drive by (you can't miss it). Sorry, I don't recall exactly how far it is from the pier. You have to walk for what seemed like a mile to get to the falls though.

Hi: you are the 1st person I've seen completing the 7/4 sailing. We are going on 9/5. Overall how was the experience? Did you rent cars on other islands as well? We are debating "driving" the road to hana. I would be the driver LOL Thanks, Bob

POA 9/5/2004

Bob Im not the previous poster but maybe I can help you about renting cars. We cruised the Hawaiian Islands in May 2000 (RCL) and rented cars at all ports except Hilo. We drove approx. 200 miles on each island and I can tell you this was one of the best decisions we ever made. Booked with Alamo everywhere.

Did not go to the 'Road to Hana'. Reports that sudden rainstorms can create havoc with that road, with no alternate return, made us a bit nervous.

Going back to the islands in Nov. and plan to rent at least at a couple of ports. Possibly Kauai & Maui.

Before you go pick up good road maps at AAA. The highways are excellent.

Gerry

Hi: you are the 1st person I've seen completing the 7/4 sailing. We are going on 9/5. Overall how was the experience? Did you rent cars on other islands as well? We are debating "driving" the road to hana. I would be the driver LOL Thanks, Bob

POA 9/5/2004

The experience on the islands was excellent! I don't think we'll ever be able to top that vacation. The experiences on the ship were not so great (that's an understatement) but we really tried to make the best of it. We rented a car on Kauai as well as Maui and we were so glad we did. We did the Road to Hana during day 1 in Maui and then had the Old Lahaina Luau that night. We kept the car overnight (there was a place to park right by the pier) and drove along the other side of Maui the next day. The sights were spectacular! My husband was the driver (to Hana) and he was able to enjoy the scenery and drive at the same time with no problems.

The experience on the islands was excellent! I don't think we'll ever be able to top that vacation. The experiences on the ship were not so great (that's an understatement) but we really tried to make the best of it. We rented a car on Kauai as well as Maui and we were so glad we did. We did the Road to Hana during day 1 in Maui and then had the Old Lahaina Luau that night. We kept the car overnight (there was a place to park right by the pier) and drove along the other side of Maui the next day. The sights were spectacular! My husband was the driver (to Hana) and he was able to enjoy the scenery and drive at the same time with no problems.

We are leaving in about 10 days and also have a car rented (Alamo) for Maui. After talking to a friend this morning who has her father living in Hawaii, we were wondering if trying to plan the Road to Hana AND a Luau the same day was rushing too much. What time did you start your day out for the car rental and what time was your Luau? Did you have a tape to listen to enroute to Hana or was your map good enough?

TIA

Barb :-)

We rented through Alamo also. They were very accomodating. We got our car at 9:30 and our Luau was at 5:45. We didn't have a tape to listen to (our rental car only had a CD player anyway) but it might have been helpful. Our map was very accurate though and we were able to see what we wanted to see. We had to hurry a bit later though because we wanted to shower and change before the Luau - and our Luau was a 45 minute drive from the pier. We actually drove to Hana without many stops on the way there to beat the traffic. That worked out well because then we knew how much time we had to spare and how much time we had to make stops on the way back. All in all, we were a little hurried but felt that it was better than not getting to do it at all.

I read that on the road to Hana you can stop by "twin falls"(I think) and swim where there are waterfalls. Do you know how far that is or if it is anywhere near where we port? Is it hard to find?

I can't tell you how far Twin Falls are from where you port, because I don't know what ship you're on. Twin Falls are near the 2-mile marker on Highway 360 (The highway changes its name to 360 and the mile markers start at 0). I quote from Wizard Publications' Maui Revealed - the Ultimate Guidebook: "A series of roads and trails leads to Twin Falls, actuallysix or seven waterfalls, none very spectacular compared to what's ahead. People tend to spend too much time here, because it's the first available falls, and then rush by better opportunities." (pp 77-80) If it were I, I wouldn't even bother unless I were repeating the entire Road to Hana. We did it in May both directions in a Camaro convertible, and had a great time. Hope this helps.

Archived