Ports of call

MartyL

I have never gotten off the ship in Belize... just have no interest, and really hate tendering :p LOL But have been to Costa Maya 3 times and never felt unsafe at all... it ranks up there as one of my favorite ports, going back in January :D

I can't imagine anyone saying Costa Maya was unsafe!! The cruise industry has built a whole wonderful port area there complete with shops, food, dancing shows, a pool with a swim up bar and hammocks to lay around on. There is no need to even leave this area (which is secure and no one but shopowners and tourists). A lot of people who don't book excursions simply stay here for the day.

I purchased transport to Majajual which is a "fishing village" not far from the port. This was a magnificant day!! There were people selling there wares there but personally I found them to be the most polite and funny that I have ever encountered in all my travels.

I could go on about this but you can find a lot of info over on the Ports Of Call Threads and I would be happy to answer any specific questions. I took a LOT of photos when I was in Costa Maya. You can see them by clicking my photo link below and checking out the album titled Carnival Glory Cruise, Wednesday, Costa Maya. As they say....a picture (or 100's :)) is worth a thousand words!!

In Belize I have heard that it is not a good idea to walk outside of the "pier area". You will have to go by tender boat over to shore. You will arrive in the "Tourist Village" there are a few restaurants and bars here as well as all the typical shopping including things from jewelry to pharmacy (perscription items sold over the counter). Again, this is a secure gated area and you will only find shop owners, security and tourists here so it is quite safe. I took a couple of photos here as well (unfortunatly my excursion photos to Goff's Caye did not turn out :() which are in the same photo link below and the album titled Carnival Glory Cruise - Tuesday, Belize.

If you book a private excursion in Belize you will have to tender over and meet your guide there. A bunch of boat excursion purchased directly through Carnival will pick you up and drop you off right at the ship with no tender required.

We went cave tubing in Belize with Coral Breeze and felt quite safe. At the pier area you must stop and have a Beliken beer at the Wet Lizard. It's right by the tender line, so you can watch the line so you don't miss the last tender. If you arrive back on the last tender the passengers usually applaud when you arrive!

In Belize highly recommend a tour. We have done cave tubing and plan on doing river rafting next month. Belize is a third world country and very poor. The port area is fenced in and we went outside one time, but did not feel safe. Costa Maya is a super port. Go out to the Mahaul, the little fishing village $5 pp round trip. Felt very safe there. Check on the port section and read different ideas of what to do in each port. Have fun

We were in Belize and went with cave-tubing dot com and it was great. We also went shopping in the area across from the dock. My wife, 16 yr old daughter and 12 year old son. I never felt threatened or in danger as a matter of fact the people on the street were very helpful and nice.

Costa Maya was our favorite stop. We went into Mahawal and had a great time.

You will have a great time no matter what you do

We never felt unsafe in Costa Maya - we even went to Majahual, the little village down the road. We have been just to the shops in the port area for Belize so I've not seen first hand anything unsafe.

Keep in mind that the comumunities surrounding these ports rely heavily on the cruise industry for their livelihood. I've heard that they don't have a desire to bite the proverbial hand that feeds them.

liza And Bunkie Are Right On! We Love Costa Maya - We Booked Our 4/07 Cruise Based On Going Back To Costa Maya The Tour We Did Was The Uvero Boats Awesome! And The Beach You Went To Perfect. Everything Was At This Place Including Unlimited Alc0hol My Kids Are 16 And 18 And They Loved It Too, Read Up On Tours Through The Cruise Website My Dh Did Not Want To Waste Time Getting To The Cave Tubing So Glad We Didn't And Found This Awesome Hangout For Any Amount Of Time. Belize Been There 3 Times Tender Is Quick Wet Lizard Is Great Fun To Hang And Have A Cold One We Wanted To Do Something Different We Did The Airboat Ride And Tour Of Belize It Too Was Great Karon:)

Do not miss Belize! On our cruise, a lot of people stayed on the ship because of their fears. We got off and got on an excursion with a company based right in the pier area. (Previous poster is right; do not go outside the big gate of the pier area; that's not so nice and doesn't feel safe.) We had the most amazing day -- took a boat to an empty beach (picture the exact opposite of Cozumel). Half of those with us went snorkling from the boat but, because it was a little rough, those of us with kids were advised to stay on the shore. One of the most memorable days of my four cruises.

I didn't love Costa Maya, but that was my fault. Didn't research enough (it was in my pre-Cruise Critic days so I must be forgiven!) and didn't plan for the day. Even so, we never felt like we were in danger at all! I wouldn't go out of my way for this port again but, if I were on a ship that stopped there, I would plan ahead. Costa Maya has gotten rave reviews from a lot of people here.

Archived