Can you pay for upgrade

ozcaz

Hi everyone,

We have booked an inside cabin down in the bottom of the ship.

Probably require a snorkle but budget only allowed for this.

As we are travelling before we go on the boat, if we are able can you pay to upgrade? I think I read somewhere it was only $200 more for a balcony. Seems awfully cheap! Are the cruises out of Miami in early January usually fully booked being winter?

Another question if I can. The railings around the decks, are they high?

I dont like heights but if the railings are high I think I should be okay.

I should imagine that its a long way down to the water. Never been on a cruise or seen a cruise boat so please excuse my ignorance.

Caz (Australia)

Yes, you can pay for an upgrade as long as the ship isn't full. You might get an upgrade, but it will probably be to another inside cabin on a higher deck. Two hundred dollars seems pretty cheap for a balcony, but I guess it depends on how full the ship is.

Don't worry about the railings. They are high and the only way you could fall off the ship is if you climbed on top and jumped. I've taken both my kids and it was never a concern. You'll have a blast!! Enjoy your cruise!

It depends on which ship you are on... for instance, on the Truimph in Jan, you can upgrade for about $110pp, on the Glory, it is $300pp... really depends on the ship, your sail date, which category you would like, etc. You can find all of this on Carnivals website or many of the online TA's.

Hi everyone,

We have booked an inside cabin down in the bottom of the ship.

Probably require a snorkle but budget only allowed for this.

As we are travelling before we go on the boat, if we are able can you pay to upgrade? I think I read somewhere it was only $200 more for a balcony. Seems awfully cheap! Are the cruises out of Miami in early January usually fully booked being winter?

Another question if I can. The railings around the decks, are they high?

I dont like heights but if the railings are high I think I should be okay.

I should imagine that its a long way down to the water. Never been on a cruise or seen a cruise boat so please excuse my ignorance.

Caz (Australia)

HEY, CAZ!!

It's possible to pay for an upgrade...

Railings are about mid-level on someone who is average heighth, and ......

DON"T LOOK DOWN!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

Terribly naive question, but if there are still unsold cabins when we board our ship, could we be upgraded to a higher category cabins for no added cost? We're in Cat. 6B's (outside, Main Deck) on the Victory's 8/28 cruise to Canada.

Thanks.

JG

Not a naive question. Most likely if there are empty cabins you will be upgraded to a like cabin on a higher floor but sometimes the upgrade fairy really smiles on you. On my cruise in Nov on the Conquest, they upgraded us from the lowest level inside guarantee to an oceanview (no balcony) on level 6. When our price dropped a couple of weeks before sailing, my TA called to get us a credit and they kept offering to upgrade us to a higher deck. I kept declining saying my low level inside cabin was fine and I finally got the $300 shipboard credit. Imagine my surprise when we had a window! My TA said that repeat cruisers and people who have had their reservations the longest are the best bets for upgrades. The best rule is to book a cabin you will be happy with and if you get an upgrade then it is just icing on the cake.

Don't count on empty cabins. They can always lower the pricing an give them to some of the big producing agencies. I doubt that any CCL ship is sailing out with less than 99% occupancy. I am sure there are an isolated incident here and there and there is always the dream stories also.Being inside and trying to buy a Balcony is probably near impossible. CCL would upgrade the cat6's to 8's and try and sell the cat 6's first,then they would up the insides to outsides and then sell them.

Steve

I have heard that you can buy an upgrade if there are rooms available.

On our last cruise some people in our group did get upgraded by Carnival at no charge. One couple paid for a guarantee ocean view and ended up with a balcony room. Of course it was one that had the lifeboat right in front of the balcony, but hey it was still a balcony. A single guy booked a guarantee inside cabin and was upgraded a few decks and one other couple had a guarantee inside cabin an was upgraded to one of the outside w/portholes cabin. So it can happen, it's just a total crapshoot. :D

It usually happens more when you book the 'guarantee' room. We had a set cabin that we booked and that's what we got. :)

Amy (sailing with you in January)

Terribly naive question, but if there are still unsold cabins when we board our ship, could we be upgraded to a higher category cabins for no added cost?

For no add'l cost? Not likely.

On most cruises I've been on, there is a sign at the purser's desk stating there are no cabins available, the ship is full.

I've been on only one cruise in the past few years where I saw that ONE cabin was available - at an add'l cost of $300 per passenger. I passed on that 'bargain'.

But you can dream.:rolleyes:

Archived