Grand Turk Dive Report

sportsterjohn

We dove Grand Turk last monday. We went with Blue Water Divers. The shop is owned by an American expat and staffed by a few canadian expats. We got off the ship about 8:15 and took a taxi into 'town' Blue Water is on the main street about a block off the beach. They have small dive boats and 2 dms per boat. The rental eq (at least mine) was brand new. We had 4 of us diving, all certified but pretty new. We were the only boat at the dive site. The dive op supplies drinks but didn't have any snacks. The first dive was a wall dive. The wall starts at about 40' and drops between 150 and 200 feet. We stayed at 60-70ft. Visability was excellent, 100'+, water temp was 85!! We say alot of reef fish, a very large crab and some black coral under a ledge. I am too lazy to get my log book but I think we stayed down about 40 min. One of the divers got down to 500lb so we came up, I had about 900 when we surfaced. This was a very beautiful dive with no noticeable current and very very smooth seas. The dive site was called black forest. After the surface interval, we went about 1/2 mile down the beach to a site called the library. This was pretty similar to the 1st site. It was on the same wall, this time we stayed about 60 feet for about 25 min then went shallow (30') for about another 15. I did see a turtle on this dive. I would love to spend a week on this island, the wall is fantastic. The wall reminded me alot of the dive I did in Roatan 2 years ago. The cost was $80 for the dives and $20 for the rental gear.

Thanks for the review. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What did the taxi cost from the ship into town?

After the dives, did they drop you off at the ship or back at their shop?

For the surface interval, did you stay on the boat or did you come back to shore?

If you came back to shore, was there enough time to take a look around town?

What was your meeting time at their shop (I noticed you left the ship at 8:15)?

What time were you done?

Thanks again for the information.

Robert

The taxi is $5 each way. We finished the dives about 11:30ish and were dropped back off at the beach across the street from the dive shop. The surface interval was on the boat. Our final boarding was at 1:30 so I had about 90 min to kill if I wanted to. There is nothing near the pier except stores which look alot like CCL owned stores and margaritaville

Archived