Hepatitis A vaccines for stops in Central America

sbpat

I have been reading about people getting this shot before their cruises. Personally, I thought they were over-reacting. I called our pediatrician yesterday and she called the Center for Desease Control. They HIGHLY urge people traveling anywhere in Central America to get this shot at least one month prior to going. We took our three kids yesterday. Dh and I are still debating about getting ours. They said there have been numerous outbreaks of Hep. A (similar to the Chi Chi's stuff in the past.) Just thought I'd share the info. I guess we'd rather be safe than sorry.:eek:

Hep A will make you very sick for a month or more (from what I've heard from people who had it when I lived in Africa before the vaccine was available.) If you get the vaccine, it will protect you for life. Same with Hep B vaccine. I recommend them, but I am certainly no expert, just a traveler who has been exposed to a lot of stuff and has gotten a few of them, but not Hep A.

Archived