NYC questions

Huebie

It's been years and years since we've been in NYC, and we plan to spend a couple of days before our cruise. A couple of questions--if we stay at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge will a cab into midtown Manhattan cost a fortune? Going to the original Palm Restaurant is a must for my husband's birthday.

We also want to go to Ellis Is. to see grandparents/great grandparents' names on the wall. Is staying in Brooklyn more convenient than Manhattan for Ellis?

Alternately can anyone recommend a nice hotel under $300 in Manhattan in a decent area?

Where is the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge located, downtown Brooklyn near the bridge? If you go in the evening there will be heavy traffic and the cabbie will likely slide off the bridge to the FDR and north to 60th or so. Expect a healthy meter as I think it is $3.00 at the drop and there is a charge for waiting time. This is not the Caribbean. But then the Palm is big bucks so think of it as one long nice expensive evening.

Not ever having lived in Brooklyn (we are Rockland via da Bronx) I don't think there are ferries leaving from Brooklyn; there are lots leaving for Ellis and Staten Islands from South Ferry at the tip of Manhattan, near Bowling Green. But Ellis reopened as a museum a few years ago and we have not been there yet so who knows what new boats have been added. I would imagine this will be available online.

As lifelong NYC and suburban residents we don't stay in hotels here so can't help you with that.

My guess would be overall that staying in Manhattan would be cheaper for your stated goals as it costs less to get around, even taking the West Side IRT to South Ferry.

It's been years and years since we've been in NYC, and we plan to spend a couple of days before our cruise. A couple of questions--if we stay at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge will a cab into midtown Manhattan cost a fortune? Going to the original Palm Restaurant is a must for my husband's birthday.

We also want to go to Ellis Is. to see grandparents/great grandparents' names on the wall. Is staying in Brooklyn more convenient than Manhattan for Ellis?

Alternately can anyone recommend a nice hotel under $300 in Manhattan in a decent area?

The Hotel Giraffe on 26 street and park Avenue South , runs specials at times. It is a small boutique full service luxury hotel. Check their website .

We are native New Yorkers and have stayed there .

I would try affinia.com , they have several properites in New York City that are reasonable. We stayed at the Shelbourne Murray Hill and it was very nice. They are like converted apartments. We had a one bedroom that also came with the living room and small kitchen. Great neighborhood. You never said where your cruise is leaving from. Is it NYC or Bklyn? I agree with the Big Bopper it would be more convenient and cheaper to stay in Manhattan even if you are leaving from Bklyn. Hope this helps. PS They run special so I would check that out also.

You know it really annoys me that people who have no idea and are ready to bash Brooklyn respond to these. The Brooklyn Marriott is located on the Brooklyn Bridge approach road. It will cost under $20.00 to get to midtown by cab, but Frankly if you go out the rear door or the front door you are yards away from the subway which is the fastest(and safest BTW way) to get around the city. The Jay Street Boro Hall stop of the F and C and A train is practically under neath the hotel. Across the street from the front door is the Boro hall stop of the 2,3,4,5, and R train(Montague Street for the R) of almost all the other lines. maybe 100 yards from the front door of the hotel. Its 2.00 per person in the subway(less if you buy a metro card). There are places to eat within easy walking distance on Smith Street below Atlantic avenue. The diner on the Corner of Smith And Atlantic - Saint Claire's is a neighborhood fixture. There is a thread on Manhattan hotels below that talks about hotel prices and places to stay in the city. To get to the Ellis Island from the Brooklyn Marriott - take the subway...either take the A or C to Fulton Street 2 stops(front of the train) and take the 4-5 southbound to Bowling green...it will take all of 15 minutes. or cross the street and take the 4-5 from Boro Hall to Manhattan and get off at Bowling green 1 stop! all of 5 minutes or less.

Personally I dislike the Palm---if you want the best steak in NY go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn BUT bring cash they don't take no sissy credit cards but their own.(they take local checks too)...its in Brooklyn BTW.

Final point you can use a local car service instead of cabs for a fixed amount there are three in the area that are OK. Cadman Plaza, Promenade or Arecibo...

hotel thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409635

Macy's in Manhattan by subway F train to 34th street less than 20 minutes....

(I never shop in the one on Fulton Street which is 4 blocks from the Brooklyn Marriott)

Can 4 adults fit in a cab? We're traveling with another couple, and $20-$30 for a cab isn't bad if we're splitting it.

We're leaving from Red Hook on the Star Princess.

We are going to the Palm for my husband's 60th birthday for 2 main reasons. His uncle used to be a bartender there, and when my husband's brother was being treated for terminal leukemia in the late 50's they let him draw a small figure on the wall. He wants to see if it's still there. Also the owners are from the same town in Italy as my husband's father.

Can 4 adults fit in a cab? We're traveling with another couple, and $20-$30 for a cab isn't bad if we're splitting it.

We're leaving from Red Hook on the Star Princess.

We are going to the Palm for my husband's 60th birthday for 2 main reasons. His uncle used to be a bartender there, and when my husband's brother was being treated for terminal leukemia in the late 50's they let him draw a small figure on the wall. He wants to see if it's still there. Also the owners are from the same town in Italy as my husband's father.

4 people can fit in a cab. Three in the back and one with the driver. But you will be more comfortable in a car service's town car...and it will be the same price.

Enjoy the Palm...I just gave you my personal feelings about it. Its not that it is bad it is just not one of my favorites....

The Star Princess is going to Canada? Enjoy that too!

I had to reread the thread to see where we bashed Bklyn and for the life of me I cannot find it. All I thought was if Huebie was doing all his sightseeing in New York City it would be more convenient for him to stay there especially since I did not know where his cruise was leaving from.

I had to reread the thread to see where we bashed Bklyn and for the life of me I cannot find it. All I thought was if Huebie was doing all his sightseeing in New York City it would be more convenient for him to stay there especially since I did not know where his cruise was leaving from.

I carefully said "was people who don't know who answer and are "ready" to bash brooklyn"....I didn't say anyone actually did. Getting from the Brooklyn Marriott to Manhattan is no big deal its not a heavy expense(much less than a main course at the Palm) nor is it the heavy traffic in the evening(its mostly against traffic in the evening). There are many hotels in Manhattan that are less convenient to the subway...or to the Palm....

I carefully said "was people who don't know who answer and are "ready" to bash brooklyn"....I didn't say anyone actually did. Getting from the Brooklyn Marriott to Manhattan is no big deal its not a heavy expense(much less than a main course at the Palm) nor is it the heavy traffic in the evening(its mostly against traffic in the evening). There are many hotels in Manhattan that are less convenient to the subway...or to the Palm....

smeyer,

I'm so glad you responded, because you said everything I wanted to say, but don't have the specific knowledge you have to say it. I'm a 3rd generation Brooklynite and use the trains but not on a daily basis, probably not even monthly. When I'm going somewhere in Manhattan, I go to my local station on the BMT line and figure out then how to get where I want to go if I don't know by memory. The only time I drive into the city is if I have too many things to carry and then I'll usually take car service just like you suggest.

We usually find everything we need in Brooklyn (or even, gasp, Staten Island or Queens).

CC is lucky to have you here!

No Brooklyn basher here . I love Brooklyn. DH went to Brooklyn Tech, I also Went to High School in Brooklyn:D Met on the GG local train.

Was just answering the above part of the quote.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

DH and oldest son stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott a couple of years ago and had no problem navigating; the subway stop is just a short walk away. I'm not a local, but I'm in the city a few times each month and actually prefer taking the subway to taking a cab, unless I have luggage.

We were in NYC for the first time in July. We stayed in Manhattan, right off Times Square, at the Casablanca Hotel. It is a lovely, boutique hotel - continental breakfast, wine and cheese in the evening, free coffee/latte's/mochas, juice all day long. Friendly, helpful staff. It was easy to get to Ellis Island, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Central Park....

I'd recommend it even to my mother in law!!!

Hi, we will be doing a 2 night pre-cruise in NY theater district and will be staying at the Millinium! We are going to see "Spamalot"! Has anyone seen it, as it is a good play?

Also, we want to go to a nice Italian Restaurant. Not fancy, but kind of unique, sort of "Soprano" like. I hate to use that as an example, as we were told that some folks resent that term saying that the Soprano series misrepresents what it portrays!

Its just that we heard that there were some (one?) restaurant where you go downstairs into the dining area! Would like something, kind of fun, but not TOO expensive or fancy!

Leaving early Thursday, so any suggestions would be great! Tried to look on-line, but I want info from the people who live there!

Thank you, :)

Rita

Archived