clearwater post cruise from tampa

turtle girl

we are flying in to tampa the day before our cruise and want a hotel in the airport or downtown area. we are also staying for 2 days after our cruise and want to be by the beach. we are considering the clearwater area, but it is so far from the airport in tampa. anyone have experience doing this? what are fares to the airport in tampa from clearwater?:)

There is a limo service (van type) that can take you to and from your hotel. Tampa International Airport is in a different county (Hillsborough) from Clearwater (Pinellas) which is across the bay from from Tampa. Clearwater is on the opposite side of Tampa Bay. It has been 15 years since I lived in the area but if I recall correctly they already expanded the bridges that go across the bay. Give these links a try:

http://www.internationalairportguide.com/tampa_tpa.html

http://www.tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/index.asp

One thing that may be cheaper and one should consider, is renting a vehicle. Good luck.

If you stay at a larger resort-style hotel on Clearwater or St. Petersburg beach, you can ask if they have a shuttle that can take you to the airport. However, this area is really spread out, and you might want to have a car for the freedom to go where you want to. You might want to consider renting one for the post-cruise stay.

I have no idea what the cab fare would be, but it really isn't all that far from Clearwater to the Tampa Airport. Probably no more that 20 minutes, 30 max (unless you're trying to drive it during rush hour, then it's probably double that).

Simple drive across the Courtney Campbell Causeway (Hwy 60).

There is a lot of construction going on at Clearwater Beach so we seldom go there. The Sand Key Sheraton is nice and has a great beach. The other towns to check out are Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Redington Breach, Maderia Beach, Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach and Pass-a-grill. I seldom make it across county to the airport in less than 45 minutes. I always allow myself an hour. Try Super Shuttle for transportation. On the beach there is a trolly for a small fee which will take you from Pass-a-grill to Clearwater Beach. Hope this helps.

Archived