Back from the Millenium Barcelona-Venice Millie Maniacs cruise; any questions???

Kim-"ltgl" - thank you in advance for the help. We just returned from Alaska on the Summit oursleves and are in the beginning stages of planning the Mediterranean for next June 2005. Do you think June will be a good time to go? We want to do at least three days in Barcelona before cruising out, do you think this is enough time or should we plan on getting there earlier? Also, please do tell us about the port, which was your favorite and why?

Susana

(Delfin)

I know this might be a crazy question, but how are the bed pillows on the ship? One cruise we actually went to a store and bought two pillows for our trip and just left them on board when we left.

Also, can you ship items back to the states from the ship?

Thank you!

Kathy

(We leave on this same cruise Sept. 6th...can't wait!)

Delfin: We were 2 nights precruise in Barcelona, I would think 3 days would be plenty; however, we didn't go outside the city for any day trips.

P. or luvcruisen: (short term memory not what it used to be, can't remember who asked what) June is a perfect time to go. We were on Millie 6/2/04 and weather could not have been better. Had an aft cabin so didn't pay attention to port or starboard side. Didn't have a CC room so don't know about mattress pillow tops. If just asking about pillows, they were just ok.

Don't know if you can ship things from ship or not. I think you can send mail. Heard it is best to mail stuff from the Vatican.

Happy Sailing!

I know I'll pay more for pre and post cruise hotel packages, but I'm leaning towards taking the lowest risk approach this cruise. Part of it is not having to worry about missing the homebound flight that from what I've read takes off at 7am in Venice. Appreciate hearing from those that have done the cruise hotel package. Thanks.

Tak

What did you do on the Greek Islands, did you need a tour or could you do them on your own. Also Dubrovnik, did you need a tour or was one your own better. Also what nights were the Formal nights and which night is best for the Olympia restaurant. Where did you stay in Barcelon and where in Venice, restaurant you would rec and not rec. in in each. Must see sites, things to avoid.

Sorry for so many questions, we leave in less than a month........

Many thanks

We just got back from the 6/26 Millie as well. It was unbelievable! We arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday for a Saturday embarkation. We had low expectations for Barcelona and were blown away by its beauty and the number of things to do there. We did not leave the city to do other excursions. We stayed at the AC Diplomatic- got a great price directly via internet. It is ideally locate, has modern rooms (king-sized beds, great shower, etc) with a free mini-bar (beer, bottled water,soda and juice). Given the prices in Europe, the mini-bar alone was worth a loy to us, travelling with a thirsty 7 year old! There is also a business centre store across the street where you can cheaply access the internet before you board the ship (1 euro per hour vs 75 cents/min on the ship) and have digital memory cards burned onto CD's cheaply. Our luggage got lost (every piece) and did not arrive until almost midnight that night. I have heard too many similar stories- do not try to fly in and board the ship on the same day- the stress is not worth it!

As far as pillows go, we were in Concierge Class and they have a pillow menu for you to choose from. I thought that to be kind of odd but actually enjoyed trying something different.

We took mostly ship shore excursions because we were travelling with a small child and wanted as few surprises as possible. We did Monaco and Nice on our own because I wanted to see both and we did not want an 8 hour tour. This worked out great. Even though everyone on the boards said not to, we took a taxi from Villefranche to Monaco (I speak French so this helped) for 50 Euros. We had planned on taking the train (had the schedule from the website) but had tendering problems and missed the train that would have gotten us in in time for the changing of the guard. We had lots of time to see the changing of the guard, tour the aquarium (a huge hit with all 3 of us), take the trolley tour and have lunch in Monte Carlo (bring lots of money- it's very expensive). We then walked up the hill and caught the train to Nice, basically caught a cab who drove us around and gave us a great impromptu tour then drove us back to Villefranche (which is only about 3 miles from Nice but on very windy roads so it seems farther) for 30 Euros. The combination of train and taxi worked very well because we got to see both perspectives- one closer to the water, the other more cliffside- it was spectacular). The cab driver said the buses have to take a slightly different route (although they all basically are parallel to the shore) because they can't make the hairpin turns on the Lower Corniche.

We also did DUbrovnik on our own. We had planned to do a ship excursion but got brave as the cruise progressed and cancelled in favour of going it alone. it is a walled city so you can't get really lost (although it sometimes feels like you are!) and you can buy an audio guide for 'walking the walls' so it is easy to do on your own. We also saw the Maritime museum. We basically did the same tour we would have done through the organized excursion for a fraction of the cost in half the time. It was a very hot day so we were happy eith our choice. Had we been planning to take an excursion outside of the walled city, we probably would have stayed with the ship's tour.

We took Celebrity excursions in all of the other ports and were not disappointed. Pompeii is not to be missed. We skipped Florence and only went as far as Pisa and did the excursion with the afternoon at the beach. This worked well for us with a child, but I understand Florence is beautiful. People on our cruise did comment however that they were disappointed because the museums were closed that day- not sure why. Athens was hot and dirty but still worth seeing. my husband and son did the volcan/hot springs tour in Santorini then took the donkey up the hill- I opted for a late breakfast on the verandah, and the cable car up the hill. We were all happy. Santorini is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. We took the Delos tour in Mykonos- I am sure it was great, but it was in the afternoon which made it even hotter than it might otherwise have been with a lot of walking. We were fairly uncomfortable so didn't get as much out of it as we should have.

Something to consider if you are undecided about shore excursions- if in doubt, book it before it fills up. You can cancel on board up to 48 hours ahead with full refund if you change your mind.

We arrived in Venice at noon (don't miss the sail in to Venice- it is spectacular) and wandered on our own. We found the humidity to be an issue (everywhere else was a dry heat) and stores all closed between 1:30 and 4:30 (which was the norm everywhere we went) so we went back to the ship, hung out by the pool, and headed back to Venice at around 6 for a few hours. This was the best thing we could have done- fewer people, better temperature. It meant we missed the last dinner on the ship but it worked for us. We stayed an extra night in Venice because we did't think a half day would be enough- good choice. Celebrity provided a free water shuttle every 15 minutes or so until midnight.

the next morning, they threw us off the ship (so to speak- disembarkation was very early) at 6:50 am and we took a water taxi to our hotel, left our bags and wandered. Again, no crowds and we sort of watched Venice wake up as people made their way to work. It was fascinating. I had prebooked the Secret itineraries Tour of the Doges Palace for that morning. This was a highlight of the trip and it also meant that we did not have to stand in a very long ticket line. This was one instance where my husband appreciated my organizational skills!

We stayed at the Bauer Hotel- again, booked over the internet for what we thought was a great rate for a 5 star hotel. They upgraded us to a full suite- 2 full marble baths, huge living room, 2 walkin closets and a separate bedroom with a king size bed, all for 242 euros- a bargain! The food was outrageously expensive so we ate offsite. The location was amazing- steps from San Marco Square with its own water taxi stop outside the door. You don't want to have to carry luggage over the bridges of Venice- too many stairs.

Getting to the airport proved to be costly, but pretty. For 85 euros,we took a water taxi and waved goodbye to venice (sigh!). At the airport it cost us another 25 euros to get from the pier to the terminal with our bags (ouch!).

Europe is very expensive- you can't think about it while you are there or you will drive yourself nuts. The airline lost one of our bags on the way home (still missing). Luckily nothing of sentimental value but a pain nonetheless.

All in all, a trip of a lifetime. We had such an amazing time, we booked for next year on the Baltic (Constellation) while on board. I hope this answers the questions so far- sorry to go on for so long!

Amy G, Delfin, Cherski, Putz, Luvcrusin', Jezzdogg...Will post a review in the next 2 days once I have all the infos from the daily cruise newsletters in front of me...Jezzdogg, we had a fantastic day with Revelation-Tours!!!

Thanks Sophiek for having shared your experience...Bauer is a great choice for hotels in Venice!!! Heard your family were tablemates of JGlass...Anyway, we finally were able to convince my husband to take 2 weeks off Summer 2005 for a Baltic cruise...Debating between Constellation and Crystal, but think we probably will have more fun with Constellation...Also debating on the date of sailing...

Cruisingtwinsmom-next time we will go for an aft cabin...Starboard was not bad, had views of port at all picturesque ports...For Venice, we went to the 10th/11th deck to video/photo the sail in, and incredible experience...

Tak2- we haven't done the cruise hotel package, but agree that at least one day and one day post cruise is a must...We arranged the hotels on our own using http://www.expedia.com (good rates and description of hotels) and http://www.tripadvisor.com (for reviews from past customers)...

Kim-"Ltgl"

Sophiek-Did Bauer upgrade you to a 2 bedroom suite in Bauer or Bauer Ilpalazzo? Even if they upgraded you to Bauer, it is still nice of them as it is a 5 star hotel with live music nightly!!!

For those interested: Web address for Bauer: http://www.hotelbauer.com; web address for sister hotel next door: http://www.ilpalazzovenezia.com (price much steeper, but one can use a semi-private outdoor jacuzzi with panoramic view of Venice Grand canal and city and an outdoor breakfast room (for IlPalazzo guests only) on the 7th floor with even grander panoramic view of Venice Grand canal and city)...On the other hand, I heard Danieli hotel also has an outdoor breakfast room on a higher floor as well for everybody's use if one wants to pay for the breakfast and the panoramic view...(Not absolutely sure about this though)...

We have tried both the Gritti Palace (Venetian style room over 500 euros) and Ilpalazzo with Canal view (over 500 euros)...However, for extended stays, there are hotels that are of good quality and much more reasonable, for example, three star Hotel Ala, right next to the Griitti...There is also a three star hotel right next to Bauer, I think the name has "Viola" in it...Sophiek, do you remember that hotel name?

Bauer is 3 minutes walking distance to St Mark's square, Gritti is another 3 minutes walking distance from Bauer...Hotel Regina is also close by...Listening to the live outdoor orchestra until 1:00 a.m. at St. Mark's square was magical...Venice remains our favorite European city!!!

Kim-"Ltgl"

The website for the Bauer is http://www.bauervenezia.com. We just booked directly with the hotel. They tried to charge us an additional 80 euros for a cot for our 7 year old son even though their policy is that kids under 8 stay free. We complained (before we knew we had been upgraded) and they reversed the charge. LTGL, I think the upgrade was because they had a large school group staying there and they were probably worried about the noise (which was not a problem). Our room was in the Bauer, not Il Palazzo.

We had an aft cabin- 9201- and the views were amazing. In most ports, particularly Santorini where we were tendered in, the boat was moored such that we had a full view of the island or port city. The main reason we booked the Baltic cruise for next year while onboard was that we were able to get an aft cabin again. There was room on the verandah for 3 chairs, a good sized table (big enough for the 3 of us to eat meals on) and 2 lounge chairs with room to spare.

I just lost a full page of posting of replies to the other questions!!! Oh well, I guess it's meant to be more comprehensive next time around???

Reply to V6dude: Celebrity offers a complimentary water shuttle to take cruisers from port to St. Mark's and back every fifteen minutes or so all day long; last one to leave St. Mark's is at midnight. Takes about 20 minutes to reach destination...Very convenient...

Kim-"Ltgl"

As indicated, I lost a full page of posting with all details of the amazing time we had in Santorini and Athens, among others...

Here is the short version for now:

Santorini-we used http://www.santorini-daytours.com; 400 euros for an 8 hour tour of the entire island with a fluent English speaking guide, including the most picturesque places; Mrs. Anna is the manager; you can mention "Dr. Kim" refers, she might give you a discount...

Athens-we used Petros Petrou, a very good-hearted, pleasant, and enthusiastic narrater, fluent in English...240 euros for an 8 hour tour. We gave him a very generous tip, since we had a fantastic day, even taking close up photos with the guards at the change of guard ceremony...Best way to reach him is mobile phone 011306944322679. His web site is http://www.greek-taxi-tours.gr (but it's best to contact by mobile phone during the next few months until he personally takes over the e-mail service function)...

For Mykonos and Dubrovnik, one can do it on your own...

Kim- "Ltgl"

Hello Millie Maniacs,

My wife, daughter and myself were also on the 6/26 Barcelona to Venice cruise. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in Barcelona and 2 nights post cruise in Venice. We had an incredible time. The Millie was awesome, and the ports of call were unbelievable.

The trip was made all the more enjoyable by meeting all the Millie Maniacs that we had corresponded with on the months leading up to our journey. For all of those on these boards pre-cruise, and for all of you Maniacs that we enjoyed our adventure with,......Thanks for the memories! We'll never forget it!

For all of you still looking forward to your cruises.........Wow, you will have an incredible experience. Enjoy!!!!!!

Live the Good Life and family, jglass and boys, phe1249 and wife, cipi2000, bevrun, babette & family, bankr, muddyw, and especially semetz, my little cuz, and Jake............you sure made it special.....blink, blink,....heavy sigh!

CUZ

Can't wait for our trip in 6 weeks. I have a few questions:

In Dubrovnik.... walk the wall or walk the city???

In Venice.... I see the stores only reopen at 4:30. What time do they remain open till???

Thank you to all who've just got back and given such comprehensive reviews, you sure do help us with our planning etc. I have also asked this question elsewhere but have not had a reply. For DH to wear shorts, would this we regarded as "too American"? I realise he cannot wear them for any trips that would include churches etc but what about stops where one is just walking the town?

Hello Zebra,

In Dubrovnik, you can walk the wall.... and walk the city. There is enough time for both and more. We walked the ocean-side half of the wall, and due to to the heat and general laziness, we exited and walked the town for a little bit and then had a wonderful lunch. After that we were going to head to the beach, but wound up hiring a boat (50 euros) to take us to a beach with an over-hanging cave. We dove from the boat, and swam to the beach. It was one of our favorite memories of the trip. The view of Dubrovnik from the water was beautiful. So, stay spontaneous, and your best moments might just be the un-planned ones.

As far as YH wearing shorts, I had the same concerns. As it turned out, I wound up wearing shorts, a tank top and flip-flops for almost the entire trip. The weather was really hot! I certainly was not only the only one dressed this casually.......and of course, I'm proud to be an American! I did carry a pair of lightweight slip on long pants and a t-shirt, to be able to go into all the incredible churches "in every port." The zipper-off- leg pants worked well, too. My wife and daughter kept shawls available to cover their shoulders and sometimes to use as a wrap.

Have a great trip. I know you will!

CUZ

Cuz..your post was really helpful to us and has answered all our questions about Dubrovik - can't wait to get there. I have a wonderful picture on my screensaver of the walled city. If you would like to have great remembrances of your European cruise go to Webshots.com and save your choice of pictures to your screensaver - for free!

Zebra, that is very nice of you to share the website of Dubrovnik screensaver...Cuz is not only a funny and poetic person, he is also very thoughtful... (I think I'm going to make him blush!!!). So Cuz, and Millie Maniacs, and others, feel free to jump in on this board and bail me when I don't have a chance to yet reply or don't know the answers...Zebra, with regards to Venice, no need to worry, the tourist shops are open until about 07:30 p.m. and the outdoor cafes until 01:00 a.m. with live orchestra music...The ambience is always magical and fun in Venice, lots of people watching type of thing...You can also do a gondolier ride with music; if you like taking photos and enjoy music, this would be a very memorable experience...

Jaezzdog, Casual: first 2 nights, Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Venice; Informal: Civit., Piraeus, Dubrovnik; Formal: Livorno, and the 2 days at sea...There are lots of portraits taken on formal nights...

Amy G, the food and service in the main diring room was good...Some cruisers think that the food and presentation on the Galaxy were better, but one can also dine in the Olympic...Things not to missed: St Paul de Vence medieval town in VilleFranche, Views from Thira and Oia villages in Santorini, Views from/of Positano, Ravello or Amalfi coast (Sorrento and Amalfi more touristic), view from the Acropolis (we climbed up to the top) or Lycabettus Hill (we drove up the Hill by cab but there is also cable car), Dubrovnik, and of course Venice...Enjoy...

Cherski, good idea to stay at least 2 nights in Barcelona and at least 2 nights in Venice. We only stayed one night in Venice because we wanted to go to Milan and Lake Como...We took the train to Milan, beautiful country side...

Delfin, have not forgotten about your post...One of these days, I will do a full review!!!

Kim-"ltgl"

Joanne, I did not have a chance to go to the casino on this cruise, but my mom had a great time playing slots with US nickels and quarters...They are open on sea days and when ship is not in port...We are going to Bellagio Las Vegas next weekend, I'll hit the nickel machines for fun...The ambience there seems fun, and I saw them still open around midnight...Anybody else has specific infos on the hours, currency, please chip in!!!

Archived