Passports on Shore Excursion

lauren2pink

It depends on the port and the country. I personally do not take it with me if the port does not require that I do but I always take a photocopy of my passport with me. I usually just take a credit card a drivers license my ship card and the copy of the passport. UNLESS the port requires it and if it does the ship will make sure it is with you when you disembark in port.

if you are in Europe and doing the ports on your own it is good to take your pasport with you in case you miss the ship. I am just home from a cruise and there were fourteen people missed the ship in Rome. I know some spent the time in a cafe and got the train to Naples the next day. If the next port had been Tunis they would have had more difficulty.

This may be a stupid question, but will we need our passports to leave the ship/reboard on port days?

If so, how do you securely carry this with you?

Thanks!

Actually, in my opinion, this is not a stupid question. Here is a scenario that you may want to consider. You are out on an excursion and something happens so you need to go to the hospital. For some reason you are not allowed back on the ship (such as an illness) or miss the ship because you had surgery and now have to fly back home. The airlines are responsible to fly you back (at their cost) if you are denied entry back into the US. Therefore, most airlines will not accept a copy of a passport. Now lets say the airline is somewhat lenient and decides to allow you to fly into the US. While en route, the DHS threat level goes up. The potential of you being denied entry and having to fly back to the port or country you came from is bigger now. The final choice is yours. You decide.

Now, there are carriers that you can get through travel stores on-line or even E-bay where you can hang your passport from your neck and conceal it under your shirt. There are also waterproof containers or bags for you to carry your passport if you decide to get in the water.

If you carry a color copy of your information page of the passport, you don't need to take it with you off the ship, unless the country requires you to have your passport---now it's just Russia and Vietnam. My cousin missed the ship in Rome and just went to the US Embassy on Via Veneto and they gave him an emergency passport in just a few hours, and all he had was his ship ID, his driver's license and the color copy of his passport.

Each day we receive the ship's "newspaper". It contains the events of the day, etc. If you notice there is the name and phone number of their port agent. I was told that the passport for those passengers who miss the ship, will be with this agent. I was advised to carry this info.

Please note, I have not tried this and hope never to do so.

Fran

If you carry a color copy of your information page of the passport, you don't need to take it with you off the ship, unless the country requires you to have your passport---now it's just Russia and Vietnam. My cousin missed the ship in Rome and just went to the US Embassy on Via Veneto and they gave him an emergency passport in just a few hours, and all he had was his ship ID, his driver's license and the color copy of his passport.

Excellent point. More difficult, of course, if yu are in some more out of the way place (French Polynesia, Libya, Texas).

For those of us would routinely wear belt and suspenders, there is an alternative plan: Get a second passport. All it takes is a form and a letter explaining why you need a second passport (standard acceptable answer: need to send passport away to several countries for visa stamps). I have never needed it, but it makes me feel better. Also, my pants have never fallen down.

Paul

Archived