Has anyone tried Scotch Bonnet Charters through grandcaymancruiseexcursions?

brandnewcruizer

We have reserved a charter in Grand Cayman on Scotch Bonnet Charters.

Has anyone taken this tour? It is a small sailboat (J-22 private charter).

We are taking three kids age 5, 9 and 10. Anyone else done this tour? This is our first cruise so I am hoping we will be able to get to the tour in time and back to the ship in time! Any feedback would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a new excursion, but It looks to be great. We have done

about everything on prior trips, but this excursion should be awesome.

Also would like to know of anyone that has been on it. Have Fun

We just came off the Carnival Inspiration and used Scotch Bonnett tours. Instead of the sailboat, we used the 22' Boston Whaler. They're both operated by Capt. John Michael. We chose the powerboat over the sailboat at booking due to the restricted time that we had on the island. I think they call it the Outrage EcoTour. Both boats are located at the same dock on a private lot, about 15 minutes from the tender dock. The Capt. picked us up at the Blue Iguana gift shop which is a 3 minute walk from the tender. He was prompt and courteous. We then drove to the boat and were underway soon thereafter. We headed right out to the Stingrays and were one of the first boats to arrive (beating out the crowded ship tours). He explained the history and procedures for being with the stingrays and then the five of us went in to the water for about 45 minutes of fun and feedings. We hopped back on board and motored over to the starfish beach area. As we got back into the water, the Capt rounded up some starfish and sea urchins to show to us. We did some pictures and then we chose to hang around in the water for awhile there. He went back to the boat until we were ready. As we got back onboard, he gave us options according to the time we had left. We decided to just take a quick trip through the mangroves and protected marine life area. We then went back to the dock, got ourselves and our gear off the boat, and the Capt drove us back to the tender dock and dropped us off right at the line-up spot for the tenders. He was very flexible and gave us lots of options for our time. He brought along scuba gear, a cooler of soda/water, and he also has a tube for towing behind the boat (we didn't take advantage of any of these!). Payment was made as he dropped us off and it was a fantastic half-day! I can easily recommend this tour to anyone.

I agree with the previous post 100%! We also used Scotch Bonnett tours and were on the Boston Whaler this past week. The captain is wonderful. Truly a nice guy. He is very knowledgable about the area and is very accomodating. I would recommend him to anyone. We had a great time on the excursion and were treated very well!

The4Cruisers... If you don't mind me asking, did you tip the captain and how much? We are doing this tour in november and I'm not sure if we are suppose to tip him or not. When you break down the price $100/hour seems like the tip should be built in. :) Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

This tour looks great and I just booked it too thanks to a post I saw by bajathree, we won't be going until June so I hope a few of you before me write a review! What do you think is a fair amount to tip, would love to hear your ideas??

We have this reserved for December. Can someone whose done it tell me what kind of transportation the Capt uses to bring you from the meeting place to the boat? I have a 4 and 6 y.o and wondered if I should throw their backless booster seats in the bag (they fit in a backpack and don't need to be installed, just use a regular seatbelt). I understand thats not the law there (and don't need a "when in Rome" lecture) but my kids are tiny so if we will be in a car or van (and not some sort of bus situation) I want them in over the shoulder seatbelts with boosters.

When we were there (first week of October) we rode in the Captain's pickup truck. It was a nice 4-door truck. I rode in the front seat and didn't pay much attention to the back seat, but I imagine there would be plenty of room for booster seats.

As I posted earlier, the Captain is a nice guy. I would notify the booking agent that you want to bring booster seats and ask them to pass the word along to the captain. He has kids himself so I'm sure he'll understand!

Thanks! I did just what you suggested. They couldn't confirm if they were shoulder belts or lap belts but did confirm that the kids will have seatbelts and that I can bring my boosters and that is enough to calm my nerves on that aspect.

I'm really excited about this excursion!!!

I think you'll have a great time. And the captain is a good driver. Traffic isn't like on some of the islands where you are in constant fear for your life--it is actually quite civilized. Except that they drive on the wrong side of the road since it is a British island. I told the captain that they are backwards! :)

Enjoy

The4Cruisers... If you don't mind me asking, did you tip the captain and how much?

On way back to the tender pier, I paid the balance of the excursion cost to the captain and I did tip him as well. I think I gave him $10 per person and we are a family of four.

Have a great time!

We have this reserved for December. Can someone whose done it tell me what kind of transportation the Capt uses to bring you from the meeting place to the boat?

The captain drives a Chevy Avalanche with four doors and leather interior. He keeps it up nicely. I agree with the previous posts that he is a good driver and a genuine nice guy.

Just got back, We booked the all day J22 sailboat, It was great!

Very nice guy that enjoys his job, I wish I could play all day and

get paid for it! Very good sailor with excellent knowlege of the

islands. We loved starfish beach. Would highly recommend to

anyone, and will definately do again.

• 1 month later...

Finally checking back in. We did this excursion in December and it was fantastic. The winds were high that day so we did not spend alot of time with the stingrays. We were the first boat out there but the waves were high from the wind, so after dh and ds spent about 20 minutes with the stingrays it was time to move on (my husband said he felt nervous because between the wind and waves he felt like he was getting pushed into the stingrays). But since they were the only 3 in the water they had plenty of stingray interaction in that short time. We had wanted to do snorkeling but because of the wind and having little kids (would have been fine for just adults) changed that and went to rum point beach (beat all the crowds there too) which the kids loved for a few hours, then went to starfish beach where dh snorkeled and the kids played with the starfish the Capt found found for them (they loved lining them up in the water for starfish races). All in all it was the highlight of our cruise. Even more so when we got back on board the ship and everyone was complaining about ruined excursions due to the wind (if our only excursion had been the stingrays I know we would have felt that way too). Ours was easily adjustable to make changes for weather or even our mood, etc and so perfect for the kids (whenever they were done, we could move on to something else without worrying about the "group" schedule like we would have on another excurison). I brought my kids backless booster seats and that was reassuring to me personally having them travel in their carseats on the way to the ship. Capt was awesome, very friendly, gave lots of history about the island. He even stopped at a store to let me run in and buy an underwater camera when I had forgotten mine. I would highly recommend this excursion!!!! Feel free to ask any questions, because I know I forgot alot of details.

Thanks for the review SeaThe Magic! I am curious which ship you were on and what time you arrived to start the excursion and what time it ended,I think we will be pretty tight on timing with the tendering and wanted to know how it worked out for you. I also wondered if anyone did any fishing, or tubing off the back of the boat?

For those on Carnival did you book directly or was this offered thru Carnival? We are on Conquest in March.

We booked directly through GrandCaymanExcursions website. I was real worried about being back to the ship on time and the Capt put me to ease as he made it a priority to get us back to the ship. Don't forget, if he gets people back late, word will get out and people won't to use him!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Island Marketing offers it as well. But I hate to pay for a middle man...anyone know an email addy for John Michael?

Has everyone here taken the 27ft Whaler or has anyone been on the J-22?

I know absolutely know zip about boats...but over half of the pictures I see of the 22 show it on it's side with the crew riding up on top of the other side. (See...I don't even know any boating terms:) ) So I am wondering if this would be OK for younger children....

Archived