Extended stay on SXM - details please!!

hokie78

After a cursory look around on our last cruise, we'll be on SXM for week this winter and would appreciate some additional info. I know this is a cruise board, but I figure some posters have a wealth of knowledge, and it seems Snoopy_Leo Girl is AWOL. Will be staying in a condo-type unit in Orient Village so Q#1 is, where's the grocery store? I hear there's a market in the village, but is there something else of a larger scale--and perhaps lesser cost--even if back toward Phillipsburg? We'll have a car. Speaking of which--we hear rental cars can't be had at the airport. Best bet under those circumstances? I think there are kiosks/booths just off airport. Walkable/doable? Well aware of the beach bars, water sports, food, etc. at O.B. Are any of those spots open in the evenings? Seems like Sundays are beach party days with live music, etc. True? Any other days/times? Seems best restaurants are in Grand Case. Any favorites? Will take Dutch side reommendations as well. Aware of ferry to Pinel Island. How do you get around once there? Any beach/snorkel spots walkable from the ferry dock? I think there are a couple of beach bar spots there as well. True? Are there full or half-day snorkel trips anyone can recommend (and where do they leave from)? What are some good night life spots (either side)? For an evening out of dinner, gambling and clubbing/dancing, seems like going Dutch is the thing to do. Recommendations? Any lively spots for an evening out on the French side? We can live without losing money on gambling! Will be on island a week plus, most of which will be spent beaching and sunning, but what are some must see, can't miss sightseeing type things we ought to consider? Have perused many websites, but it's all so overwhelming. Any guidance and insight would be appreciated!

When we were there (twice) for a week we ate mostly at restaurants but I believe there are grocery stores in Philipsburg and Marigot. The convenience store in Orient Village is surprisingly well supplied (fresh baguettes and croissants every morning and cooked chickens). Lots of delicious French yogurts and cheeses. There is also a pizzeria nearby - good pizza in the European style.

If you are at Club Orient they have a small grocery there. Otherwise as you head towards Grand Case there is a small convenience grocery w/ fresh baked goods in Cul de Sac.

For more extensive and quality groceries the Match just outside of Marigot has everything you want in US and French foods, liquors, pastries, wines, etc.

If you go towards P'burg there is some stores in Oyster pond but not sure of their inventory. The big supermarkets are on the central road going from Simpsons Bay to P'burg with a French market first and then the big Dutch market as you near the airport.

There are excellent beaches everywhere depending on what you want. Snorkling, sunning, C.O. etc.

Restaurants are the best on the French side with lots of bistos around both harbours in Marigot and the Lux restauants in Grand Case. I like L'Augerge there. Not as pricy as waterside ones but excellent food. At the new harbour I prefer the smaller places on the right over the spasy open air ones to the left.

I hear there's a market in the village, but is there something else of a larger scale--and perhaps lesser cost--even if back toward Phillipsburg?

There is a nice small market in Orient Village (Tap 5) which has wonderful pastries and a good supply of basics. Payment is in Euros and not economically priced. There are lots of other options on the island but due to the Euro, grocery stores on the French side are very expensive. I would suggest Sangs located on the east side of Philipsburg (about a 15 minute drive from Orient Village and open after 6:00p).

We'll have a car. Speaking of which--we hear rental cars can't be had at the airport. Best bet under those circumstances? I think there are kiosks/booths just off airport. Walkable/doable?

Do your homework and reserve a car in advance. You’ll get the very best service and price using local (non-major) suppliers. I would suggest Prince Car Rental. All of them will meet you at the airport with no walking.

Well aware of the beach bars, water sports, food, etc. at O.B. Are any of those spots open in the evenings? Seems like Sundays are beach party days with live music, etc. True? Any other days/times?

There’s action at Orient Beach at night. Just talk to folks who operate various beach bars to get specifics on what, when and who.

Seems best restaurants are in Grand Case. Any favorites? Will take Dutch side reommendations as well.

Grand Case is noted for superb dining selections. Way too many to list, but the most economical is “Talk of the Town”, a local lolo (or charcoal grill with outdoor, covered seating). There are MANY great places around the island, each having its own special menu and charm. We love Poulet d’ Orleans located in Quarter d’ Orleans. There are many moderately priced choices on Simpson Lagoon at Simpson Bay. Another favorite is L’Escargot in Philipsburg. It has incredible ambiance.

Aware of ferry to Pinel Island. How do you get around once there? Any beach/snorkel spots walkable from the ferry dock? I think there are a couple of beach bar spots there as well. True?

Pinel is a SMALL island. Just check it out by foot. There is one beach bar/restaurant that has great, but pricey, food.

We travel to St. Martin at least once a year. We always book Avis on line, but many recommend Kenny's. Avis picks you up at the airport and they are less than a mile from the airport. When you leave Avis or the airport head toward Phillipsburg. I do not remember the grocery store, but it is at a round a bout in a small shopping center where the American Airlines Ticket office is located. We usually stop there then head over to La Plantation on Orient Beach. Tap 5 market is ok, for breads and when you run out of beer and wine, little pricey. I highly recommend Tap 5 pizza one night, very good and inexpensive. Another recommendation is La Fish Bar in Orient Villiage, also a must is Baywatch on Orient Beach. La Plantation resturant is highly recommend, though pricey. My husband had Ostrich there in May. I believe the two of us ate for about $90. Some spend over $300.00 at Esmeralda. Grand Case is a good place to eat also. We discovered Talk of the Town, when the first day we arrived electricity was out on most of the french side, but they were open and grilling. I believe we ate for less than 20.00, ribs, rice and beer. California is a great place. too. In Marigot we went to a place on the marina that was very good. I believe it was St. Germans. Google St Martin resturants for more info. In Phillipsburg there is a place at Bobby's Marina very reasonable. Name slips me, has happy hours after the cruise ships leave. Enjoy St. Martin, returning after Thanksgiving and maybe in October on a cruise. I cruise at the last minute.

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in Sint Maarten for 2 years. Of course you can rent a car at the airport- all the major chains are across the street and will pick you up, or you can rent from one of the local guys who will also meet you at the airport. As for groceries, there are little convenience stores all over (take cash). The major grocery stores are Match in Marigot, or Food Center and Rams- one in Cole Bay before you cross the border, one at the roundabout, and one at the bottom of the hill (there's only one real hill, it will make sense when you get there). They're all comparable to something like a Giant or Food Lion in the US, except a lot more expensive. Be aware that places close pretty early and a lot of stores are closed on Sundays.

Restaurants- lots of good seafood in Grand Case, good desserts and a cute crepe place in Marigot, and Anand's if you like Indian food. Rick's is a typical American-style sports bar if you're looking for somewhere to catch the game.

You shouldn't run out of entertainment, there are plenty of places with music and dancing, movie theaters, etc.

Day trips to St Bart's are fun, I think they still leave from Anse Marcel but I'm not sure.

Not sure if it's still a problem or not, but the last time we were there for a week (a couple of years ago), car theft was rampant. Our rental got stolen - TWICE - in the span of a week. Once right from Front Street in Phillipsburg, and once from Orient Beach.

Recommend you never leave anything of value in your rental car and don't even lock the doors, it's one more thing to break.

• 2 weeks later...

On a cruise in March and looking at different info on St. Martin and some say to take the ferry to Shoals Bay beach that it is gorgeous... is it worth the trip? How do you get there and how long. I am paranoid about getting waylaid and missing the boat (my first cruise and people have warned me about independent "venturing") Any suggestions on shore excusions? I will be on Princess

Thnaks for any info

On a cruise in March and looking at different info on St. Martin and some say to take the ferry to Shoals Bay beach that it is gorgeous... is it worth the trip? How do you get there and how long. I am paranoid about getting waylaid and missing the boat (my first cruise and people have warned me about independent "venturing") Any suggestions on shore excusions? I will be on Princess

Thnaks for any info

Since it's your first cruise, you probably haven't yet enjoyed St. Maarten.

My advice would be to relax and enjoy the island (St. Maarten) on your first cruise, and save Shoal Bay, Anguilla, a wonderful place, for a future cruise.

Also, you might want to post your question somewhere other than on a thread discussing extended stays on St. Maarten.

gary

Other people have added to the food aspects of the island (all of which I agree with plus plenty more) and I wuld recommend checking out Jeff Berger's St. Maarten site for lots of informed recs. As for things to see...

There are some obvious suggestions like sunset at cupocoy beach or the morning at the butterfly farm. One of my fav's is the view from the top of the hill at Anse Marcel. It is a steep climb for even the best rental car, but the view is a true postcard. Orient is fun and I have spent many days on the beach there, but check out some of the French-side beaches. They can be so quiet you feel as though you have found a secret island. There is one beach (that I won't name b/c I'm greedy and don't want to share) that can literally be your own private beach for the day. Paradise!

I'm headed back in a few months and can't wait.

Enjoy.

We've done several land vacations on SXM and made many cruise ship stops as well. Someone already mentioned traveltalkonline.com, this site is excellent for the latest info on restaurants,etc. We've also taken the ferry to Anguilla. Shoal Bay is the prettiest beach we've ever seen - nice day trip.

We've done several land vacations on SXM and made many cruise ship stops as well. Someone already mentioned traveltalkonline.com, this site is excellent for the latest info on restaurants,etc. We've also taken the ferry to Anguilla. Shoal Bay is the prettiest beach we've ever seen - nice day trip.

Archived