St. Kitts and Grenada - Dock or Tender

figgy0223

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ... the Princess website tells me we will tender into Grenada but Mandoo (of Mandoo tours that we are going with) was surprised to learn that because they have just build a new dock. Also, according to cruisecal and the Grenada tourist website we are the only ship in port.

Would a cruiseline ever choose to tender instead of dock? Of course, the Princess website could be wrong ....

• 2 weeks later...
Cunard tells me that Queen Mary 2 tenders at St. Kitts.

It's too large of a ship to dock at most Caribbean stops. We were in St. Thomas on Costa Mediterreanea last March and the Queen Mary 2 had to tender their passengers from outside the harbour as it was too large even to enter while we had a RCCI explorer class ship dock beside us. Bigger isn't always better.

It's too large of a ship to dock at most Caribbean stops. We were in St. Thomas on Costa Mediterreanea last March and the Queen Mary 2 had to tender their passengers from outside the harbour as it was too large even to enter while we had a RCCI explorer class ship dock beside us. Bigger isn't always better.

I might even say that bigger usually isn't better, when it comes to ships. I think they're all getting entirely too big.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the Q2 in last year and she had to stay off the dock in deeper water due to the fact that she demands a 15 foot buffer between her and the bottom. Grenada needs another 5 feet at their new dock. I understand they are going to deepen the dockside to fit the new mega cruisers coming out in 2008. All the other ships in service can dock there except the QM2 this year. Princess Line regularly uses the new Cruise Ship dock and terminal.:)

Archived