Roll call and info request: QE2 17 November 2006

Anteeta

Hello happy cruisers. A couple of questions. We've just received the voyage info for the Southern Delights trip on QE2; anyone one else signed up for 28 fun packed days in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean? It's getting really exciting now!

Also, is there somewhere on this forum where I can find ports of call info please? I've got a number of questions about some of the ports of call and things to do eg is Panama best on an organised trip rather than something 'off piste' . Has anyone been to the Embera Indian village? What's it like? I think I may be able to find answers if I can find a ports of call forum. Help please. Many thanks.

It's getting really exciting now!

I bet!:)

Is there somewhere on this forum where I can find ports of call info please?

You could try http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5. I don't know if it would provide the information you want. If you know where you might want to go try Googleing it - most of the ports will have their own tourist information centre with a web site.

Another possibility is to get the Rough Guides that relate to where you are going. We've found their "Directions" series very helpful if you're only there for a day.

Hello happy cruisers. A couple of questions. We've just received the voyage info for the Southern Delights trip on QE2; anyone one else signed up for 28 fun packed days in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean? It's getting really exciting now!

Also, is there somewhere on this forum where I can find ports of call info please? I've got a number of questions about some of the ports of call and things to do eg is Panama best on an organised trip rather than something 'off piste' . Has anyone been to the Embera Indian village? What's it like? I think I may be able to find answers if I can find a ports of call forum. Help please. Many thanks.

Anteeta,

Marc and I did not go to the Embera Village on our Jan Panama cruise. However, several people we travelled with did and enjoyed it considerably. In fact, one woman came back all painted up. She was handed a baby, not realizing that the skin dyes they use to paint themselves will rub off on you!

Actually there are several different shore excursions which include the Embera village. At the cruise terminal, you will find natives performing song, dance, drumming, and more with explanations of how they make their instruments (pretty interesting!). They will be wearing brightly colored skirts and loincloths. In reality they normally wear nothing at all. The women revel in their beautiful long raven tresses, which is as close to modesty they come, as the hair often covers their breasts. They are not shy about their bodies. They have a very healthy attitude of acceptance of themselves, even those who are "less than perfect" They simply are what they are with no pretension.

Karie,

who enjoyed the show in the terminal

You could try http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5. I don't know if it would provide the information you want. If you know where you might want to go try Googleing it - most of the ports will have their own tourist information centre with a web site.

Another possibility is to get the Rough Guides that relate to where you are going. We've found their "Directions" series very helpful if you're only there for a day.

Thanks Malcolm. We've done the Google route and Rough /Lonely planet et al. All highly informative and we've learned a lot, particularly about the things we'd really like to do. Think in view of your Directions suggestion, I'll look again with a bit more focus. It's mostly a question of being spoilt for choice and wanting to make best use of limited time. Others' experiences can help. There are also personal safety issues to think about; more so in some ports of call than others.

icon7.gif

We'll leave the QE2 shipshape for your trip and wish you a bon voyage

Anteeta,

Marc and I did not go to the Embera Village on our Jan Panama cruise. However, several people we travelled with did and enjoyed it considerably. In fact, one woman came back all painted up. She was handed a baby, not realizing that the skin dyes they use to paint themselves will rub off on you!

Actually there are several different shore excursions which include the Embera village. At the cruise terminal, you will find natives performing song, dance, drumming, and more with explanations of how they make their instruments (pretty interesting!). They will be wearing brightly colored skirts and loincloths. In reality they normally wear nothing at all. The women revel in their beautiful long raven tresses, which is as close to modesty they come, as the hair often covers their breasts. They are not shy about their bodies. They have a very healthy attitude of acceptance of themselves, even those who are "less than perfect" They simply are what they are with no pretension.

Karie,

who enjoyed the show in the terminal

Karie OMG We hadn't anticipated coming home with a baby. Should we prepare a nursery before we go? Can we pick a boy or girl? Will the infant wear jeans and black tux on the QE2? So many questions........icon7.gif

Anyway, as liberated Brits, we're used to wandering around with tresses covering our modesty. Remember Lady Godiva? It's not just Belgian chocolate you know!

Thanks for the info. Were you in Panama or Cristobal? I think the main thing we want to avoid is long trips looking at locks; of the canal rather than tress variety. The village sounds brilliant and I think will remain top choice

Karie OMG We hadn't anticipated coming home with a baby. Should we prepare a nursery before we go? Can we pick a boy or girl? Will the infant wear jeans and black tux on the QE2? So many questions........icon7.gif

Anyway, as liberated Brits, we're used to wandering around with tresses covering our modesty. Remember Lady Godiva? It's not just Belgian chocolate you know!

Thanks for the info. Were you in Panama or Cristobal? I think the main thing we want to avoid is long trips looking at locks; of the canal rather than tress variety. The village sounds brilliant and I think will remain top choice

This was Cristobal. We were on the QM, January, which cannot go through the locks, and this was before her around the horn (In fact, it was after she dropped us off in New York that she hit the channel in Ft Laud. I kept telling people that despite all the food I ate on board, I was NOT ON BOARD when it happened, and therefore was not the cause of any possible bottoming out!<G>)

BTW, did I mention that I live near Coventry...Connecticut. (Too cold here to ride horses naked. Even for lower taxes!)

I think you get whatever they hand you. I suspect they will want you to give them back. Although, as I said, we were not on that trip. We went up the river instead, bird and monkey watching!

Karie,

who would have to have VERY long hair indeed to cover her... well, let's just say the bruises that would be on my knees if certain (OLD, saggy) things were to remain unfettered!

Archived