Can a teenager have his own "room key"?

Caitlyn

He'll have his own sail and sign card that acts as a room key as well as an I.D. to get on and off the ship. You don't have to give him charging privileges on it; when you arrive, you indicate on the sail and sign form that will be in your cruise documents which family members have charging privileges.

Everone has a "room key as it is also how you get on and off the ship as well as charging and getting into your room. You are in charge as to who spends on what key. Just don't authorize his charges, or put a set amount on it if you need to. See the pursor if you need help with this.

We just sailed last month on the Ecstasy, and on that ship, and a few others I believe, you had a key that was separate from your sail and sign. Everyone got a key and everyone got a sail and sign. You can put a set amount of money on his card or none at all. You would know whether your kid would be one that would go wild with money on their card. There is not much they will need to purchase onboard, especially if you buy them a soda card, but it was nice for my 12 and 16 year olds to have charging privileges, they didn't have to come find me if they wanted to buy something. They really didn't buy much, a few things in the onboard shop and I think a banana split at the specialty cafe.

Two things to note:

Everyone gets a room key and Sail and Sign - even my 17 month old, the sail and sign is used to track people on and off the ship - even for an infant. When you embark and disembark, your sail and sign has to be registered for everyone going on and off the ship. So make sure all your kids have them when you head out for a shore excursion, they will not be allowed off the ship without it. You can keep them for them, you just have to be with them.

Not all ships use the sail and sign as the room key, many have a separate hotel like key card to enter the room.

Archived