Anyone been to Smith's Cove recently? have ?

Choozin Croozin

Been doing more research, trying to figure out the best place to go in GC and started reading about Smith's COve as a possible beach/snorkel experience. I understand that the only facilities are picnic tables and restrooms. Is the snorkeling as good as Edens Rock? Is there an ocean side restaurant/bar or grocery to get food nearby? How did you get there? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It's been three years since I've been here but since you haven't gotten any other responses I figured I would add my $.02. DH and I tried to get a cab to bring us to Smith's Cove but we couldn't find one willing to (they all were going the other way towards Seven Mile) so we decided to walk. It seemed like forever in the heat and carrying our snorkel stuff buy I would guess it was about half a mile from the pier. There definitely was not a restaurant/bar there nor were there any chair or umbrella rentals. It's a very small cove that seemed popular with the locals. It was just after Easter when we were there and there were actually people camping out there. It was beautiful and if it was still the same I would go back in a minute. The snorkeling was just ok but since I've never been to Eden Rock I couldn't compare it. There are a couple of pictures in my signature link (Splendour April '03). Oh, I forgot to mention that a cab showed up dropping off some people from one of the hotels just as we were getting ready to go back to the ship so we were able to get a ride back into town. Hope I helped a little!

"Hope I helped a little!" Of course you did :) THanks for the photos, it does look really nice! Hate to ask you another ? or to tax your 3 yr old memory...that would do it for me lol......anyways, do you remember seeing a little store or anything on the way? I'm thinking that maybe we'll spend some time at Smith's Cove, now that I know that it is walking distance, and then come back to Eden's Cove for some snorkeling. Thanks again for your post.

choozin,

Ok, I've racked my brain and asked my hubby and while neither of us can remember a store specifically we do remember that we tendered into the downtown area and there are tons of souvenir stores and a couple of restaurants right there when we got off the tender. I also remember that our cab dropped us off before we actually got back into the downtown area, which was the same area where we began our walk, and I stopped in a gift shop and bought a Christmas ornament and a Diet Coke. I'm not sure what kind of store you are looking for but I thought I would add that I often take a box or two of cereal (Cheerios or something similar) from the Windjammer and drop it in my bag in case we need a little snack. I've also ordered cookies from room service and they come in a bowl with saran wrap over them so I just use the wrap to wrap up the cookies and bring them along with me, too!

I'm glad I could help! Feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best! Happy sailing!

PS

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite ports!

Thanks kapeppy again. I was just looking for someplace to maybe get some pop, water and mayber a few munchies, so it sounds like what's there in town should be fine. We were in GC 2 years ago and did the stingray tour. WHen we were finished with that we didn't have time to do much shopping or anything. The port was packed and we just wanted to get out of there. This year we are the only ship in port so that should help. woo hoo :D I am still a little uneasy and unsure about what we want to do, but I think smith cove looks really nice. If it is your favorite port, what else would you suggest to do?

choozin,

I've also ordered cookies from room service and they come in a bowl with saran wrap over them so I just use the wrap to wrap up the cookies and bring them along with me, too!

OOOOO that's a no-no. They are very strict about taking any food off the ship that is not pre-packaged (as in sealed - cereal boxes are ok)

If you get caught most likely they will just take it away.... however they can impose strict fines etc.....better to pick up some sealed granola bars or the like..... anything sealed !!!!

Just FYI...... :)

texan-yea, I was surprised by the cookies, but I thought that maybe it was fruit etc. I remember on our last cruise my ds had grabbed 3 bananas to eat on the way off the ship (because he hadn't eaten breakfast). Well when he went to get off the ship they wouldn't let him off with the bananas. He proceeded to stuff 3 bananas in his mouth as we were late for a tour. It was pretty funny and I don't think he has eaten a banana since.

Was at Smiths cove about a year ago.Hurricane Ivan had did some damage to it.The bathroom was out of order(it should be fixed by now),there were some picnic tables around.The beach area is not very big,but you can walk out towards the shore but wear sneakers or beach shoes as its all rock.Also a lot of the vegetation was dead cause of Ivan.This is one of our favorite places when we hit G.C.The other being Cemetary reef.Rent a car and drive yourself around.It's hard to get lost.We've been to G.C. about 7 times now and like to rent a car and just get away from the crowds.Eden rock is good also but the reef starts about 30 to 40 yards off the ladder.They have white buoy's marking the reefs.Parrots landing is just a little farther down from Eden rock.Parrots landing is actually right between Eden rock and Smiths cove.I just have one piece of advice,when you get off the tender ask a crew member from you ship what is the ships time.G.C. does not do daylight saving time.Any more question just ask.Mike.

Thanks Mike for your added input. We actually were thinking of renting a car, but if there was something or somewhere close that didn't require a car we would do that. We are spending so much $ in the other ports I was trying to save a few, plus I had read that smith's cove and eden's rock were so good. WOuld you recommend still renting a car and going to Rum Point and Cemetary Reef?

LOVE THIS BEACH!!!!, It is very secluded you won't see many people there, most of the time. I actually got married on Smith Cove beach. My warning to you would be there could be a wedding there or even 2, but you will love it, and we had no problem getting many taxis to take our guests there, we can't wait to go back in December. It would be quite a walk !, but worth it. and I do believe there is stores along the way at various points. Have a great time :) Jessie

Rum point is very nice.Lots of hammocks,chairs and shade trees.But its just to far to go.It'll take you around 45min each way,why spend all that time driving instead of sunning or snorkling.Port time goes way to fast for that IMHO.Smiths cove is like a 5-7 min drive from the port area and cemetary reef is about a 15 min drive from port area.But they are in different directions from the port area.Mike

Ok, my bad about the cookies but I really did think it was just fruit. I'll behave and take a granola bar next time instead. We love GC for the stingrays, beaches, and shopping. A couple from our cruise got married at Smith's Cove while we were there, too! It was pretty cool! We've never rented a car but we have also done one of RCI's excursions to the Spanish Reef Resort not long after the Hurricane (Ivan, I think!) and while the resort wasn't open yet for hotel guests, we had one of our best days there. Have a great trip! I'm looking forward to my next visit there in March and this time I think we might actually make it to Seven Mile Beach to maybe do some parasailing!

Archived