Visitors To Canada - No Gst Rebates

Just so you know - if you were planning on visiting Canada and making any large purchases, visistors will no longer be allowed to claim a GST (federal tax) rebate :( - our Federal Government announced several program cuts yesterday and that was one of them - sorry folks , I personally think it's a mean and nasty way to treat visitors to our country.

(I know this isn't directly about crusing - but I wanted to let visitors to Canada know of the program cuts)

Just so you know - if you were planning on visiting Canada and making any large purchases, visistors will no longer be allowed to claim a GST (federal tax) rebate :( - our Federal Government announced several program cuts yesterday and that was one of them - sorry folks , I personally think it's a mean and nasty way to treat visitors to our country.

(I know this isn't directly about crusing - but I wanted to let visitors to Canada know of the program cuts)

I live in Canada my husband is Canadian and I'm American born but I don't think it's wrong. I think it's sensible. I go to the US, I don't get a rebate on tax money I spend.

I don't know about other states, but visitors to Washington state (from Canada and Oregon, at least, as well as other states without sales taxes) can claim an exemption on sales taxes when purchasing things here in Washington.

Now that we won't get GST back, I will no longer buy stuff like skis and snowboards in BC (which I've done in the past). Although, since the dollar is just about par it's probably a moot point anyway!

When does it go into effect? Just sent one in. Always seemed very generous to me from tax city. (NYC)

I'm not sure - but if you already sent it in I would think you would be OK but don't quote me on that. Cross your fingers and hope you get it. I just saw this Program on the list of cuts reported on the news last night but they didn't give any further details. Even if it took effect on the day it was announced, it shouldn't affect purchases prior to that date ??

I haven't travelled a lot but was in Brussels a few years back and appreciated not having to pay tax on a tapestry we bought - I think tax rebates are a good thing for tourism/business but it's not my intention to start a political debate - just report the news !

According to press reports, the elimination was scheduled for April,2007 but has been tabled due to the screams of the travel industry. I visit Canada once or twice a year and this would be a major consideration. Several years ago, it was a nice benefit when the Canadian dollar was about .66 US. Now, with the currencies almost even, the nearly 15% sales tax really inflates the cost of a trip to Canada. On my two trips this year, I kept remembering that meals, show tickets, etc. were 15% more than what was shown. At least the accomodations and large purchases were tax refundable. Also, I found they had relaxed the procedure by no longer requiring every purchase to have the reciept stamped by customs on the way out, only large items over, I think, $250. At least it will still be in effect when I make a planned junket to Toronto next month. I saved my refunds from Hamilton and Halifax earlier this year to send it all in together.

This is what I can find in Question, which I gather is a Western Canada publication.

Jim Flaherty, the federal minister of finance, announced a list of programs Monday (Sept. 25) to be cancelled to reduce government spending and pay down the national debt. Among these was the Visitor Rebate Program, which offers a GST refund to foreign visitors on goods, short-term accommodation and tour packages once they leave Canada. The rebate will no longer be available after April 1, 2007, and the cut is expected to save the federal government $78.8 million over two years.

I don't know about other states, but visitors to Washington state (from Canada and Oregon, at least, as well as other states without sales taxes) can claim an exemption on sales taxes when purchasing things here in Washington.

Now that we won't get GST back, I will no longer buy stuff like skis and snowboards in BC (which I've done in the past). Although, since the dollar is just about par it's probably a moot point anyway!

I have never heard of this exemption in Washington I used to go down every weekend I enquired at a few places and people just laughed at me, and said there is no way to get the Washington Sales tax back! So I am curious how this works!

From the Government Website so there is no confusion (Cause i was confused)

GST Visitors’ Rebate Program

On September 25, 2006, the Government of Canada announced the elimination of the GST Visitors’ Rebate Program effective April 1, 2007 as part of a package of spending restraint measures.

The Department of Finance Canada has released details on the proposed elimination in a press release available at Finance Canada.

Also regarding the Wa. State TAx. I too would be very interested in that. I suspect that it is just for stuff direct shiped to out of State.

The OP from Wa. might be interested to know that the State of Wa. also has a "Use TAx" which if they find you have purchased an item in BC (or anywhere that does not have a reciprical agreement with Wa.) they can /will come after you for the Amount you would have paid in Wa. tax for the same item purchased there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just jumping in because I do tax refunds at a land border in Quebec. I am a little saddened that I will lose my job because of the cancellation of the gst visitor rebate program, however, it is frustrating when I know that certain visitors are taking advantage of the system and submitting receipts twice and claiming refunds when they are actually living in Canada but have a US address. After talking to my clients about this over the last few weeks, most of them have said that this will not affect their decision to travel to Canada in any way. They love our fashion (especially Montreal) and Quebec City (which they refer to as Europe). They enjoy they way they are treated in Canada and I seldom hear complaints about the GST they are charged anyway. Some of them even say they feel quilty taking a refund. So from that standpoint I do not believe Canada will suffer any loss of tourism. I personnally do not decide on a trip based on refunds or not (the VAT in England is next to impossible to get back and I still frequent England and shop there, knowing I'm paying 17.5 % tax). The thing with Canada is that our taxes are not "hidden" in the receipt, such as in England. Plus Canada was really generous by refunding gst on accomodations, I don't think any other countries do that!

Also if anyone is visiting Canada before March, please have your receipts stamped! I do not accept receipts which are not stamped. Also I am not sure if refunds will be issued after March so send them in early or visit a duty free shop to get your refund in person (land borders only). I know that we are removing the counter on April 1st and there will be no way to get a refund in person in April.

Archived