Belize Mayan choices

holycowv8

Our first cruise is scheduled on HAL 12-9-06. we obtained great info here about Ivan and David's tour of Chacchoben. now our question is of the two choices at Bilize, Alton Ha or Xunantunich which to choose. Any suggestions or recommendations or comments? Also are there any independent tour operators with quality credentials (like Ivan and David at Cocta Maya) for these sites?:o WE are looking forword to this trip and learning of and visiting sites of ancient cultures. Thanks in advance and thanks to all for replys to our previous post that gave the info re: Ivan and David.

There's a terrific tour guide in Belize. Here's his email address: markmcf@btl.net. He trains the tour guides who take the buses, so he knows everything. He's an archaeologist, and he really know his stuff. He has a nice, air-conditioned van too.

Here are the prices he quoted me. This is a couple of years ago, so the prices may not be the same. But this is the kind of thing he does. We took the Cahal-Pech tour and had a great time.

Hello Kathy,

I would surly be available to be to take you all on a shore excursion on April 21st.

Tours that I offer would be visiting the Belize Zoo 35.00 pp 1/2 day tour, The Howler Monkey Sanctuary35.00pp 1/2 day tour, Cave tubing 75.00 pp, little over 1/2 day and comes with lunch, The Mayan sites of Xunantunich or Cahal Pech 73 miles out in western Belize cost 70.00 pp full day tours because of the distance, Lamanai 80.00 pp comes with lunch,full day tour because of the distance, Altun Ha 35.00 pp 1/2 day tour, and the Museum of Belize(which is usually combines with one of the 1/2 day tours).

All the tours that I'm charging you 35.00 pp for, usually cost 30.00 when there are 5 or more persons (I have a carry capacity for up to ten persons). For all the tours except the cave tubing activity, you guys are responsibly for paying the entrance fees which cost between 5.00-8.50 pp.With all the half day tours I usually have the time to take you guys through the better parts of Belize city and stop of at the Museum of Belize or the local Handicraft center(shopping) if you request it without charging anything extra(all you do is pay the 5.00 pp entrance fee to the Museum).The cruiseship village is also another possibility for shopping.

If you plan to take in the sites out in western Belize(Xunantunich or Cahal Pech) I would also stop somewhere for you to get lunch.

Now its very important to get off on the earliest tender possible when you get into the port of Belize. This request is made because getting to the sites before the crowd adds much more to the experience and quality of your tour.Doing this is even more important when you choose the tours that are further away (Xunantunich, Cahal Pech or Lamanai). Some cruise lines try to accommodate you with this request while others allow people who have bought their tours to get off first.

If you chose to do any of these tours with me then I suggest that you meet me in the principal court yard of the cruiseship village where the flag mast is located in front of a small kiosk and fruit juice stand. Right nearby is a giftshop called the Papagayo Too where I will be waiting for your party with your names written on a computer sized page. My cell number is 614-4551.

If you may have anymore question please feel free to ask and I would like to know where on the internet you found out information about me.

Mark Mc Field

Thanks for the great resources - the webshots of Altun Ha and Xuanutunich and the information on Mark, the tour guide.

We're also on the Veendam, 12/9. It's our first trip on HAL. I noticed that Mark's message said that you should try to get off the ship early and that some cruise lines let people taking the ship's excursions get off first. That was our experience on Norwegian and Celebrity.

I found that two large RCCL ships will be in Belize there the same day we are - Tuesday, 12/12: Grandeur of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas. Each have a capacity of 2,446.

They are scheduled to be there 7-5 and the Veendam, 8-6. Sounds like there might be some crowded ruins!

It makes me more likely to take a ship's tour - not quite sure why, just think that if there are any problems with crowds, lines, or capacity, the ship tours would probably get priority.

Haven't decided between Altun Ha and Xunantunich after looking at pictures of both. What a nice problem to have!!

I am so wrong about the RCCL cruise ships! :o

Neither will be in Belize when we are.

On one of them, I had the year wrong - they will be there Dec. 12, 2007!

Don't know what happened on the other one.

I apologize.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived