Flights through RC - are they usually accomodating?

cruz_luvr1

We have cruised twice before, and always arranged for our own airfare. This year we booked a cruise on the Adventurer of the Seas out of San Juan (2/18-2/25), and found a huge price difference between getting my own flights and booking through RC (RC is MUCH cheaper). This was actually the only way I could afford the trip.

However, I am very concerned that the flights will be a nightmare. We booked a hotel package through RC as well, coming in on a Friday. I'm hoping we get into San Juan at a reasonable hour so we can at least enjoy the expensive hotel we booked. Also, our cruise is Sunday to Sunday, and I'm concerned the return flight will get back in really late - we have to work the next day and kids have school.

The TA did request early arrival times on both ends to RC, but they told us no guarantees. What have your experiences been with booking air through the cruise?

Thanks.

No_longer_a_cruise_novice :)

Two years ago I booked our airfare thru RCL and it wasn't the best choice. We were flying out the day of our cruise from Newark to Miami. Instead of a direct flight, they had us flying at 6:30am thru Chicago and then going to Miami in April. I didn't like those flights at all and chose to change them plus go a day ahead for a direct flight. RCL claimed there weren't any direct flight available. I found out later that the flight coming out of Chicago was delayed and people on the flight almost missed the cruise!

Next cruise I booked my own flights and made out much better. You are in a difficult situation due to pricing. You can request certain flights but will have to pay extra. I'd continue to check for good airfare and if you get it, you can always cancel your air with RCL before the cruise. You may end up with bad times and having to stop with RCL but at least you are guaranteed they will get you to the cruise if the flights are late.

Like I said, keep checking online to see if you can get a better deal. Good luck!

I booked air through RCCL for a cruise out of San Juan for a better price than I could find on my own. We're cruising Thanksgiving week. I was concerned about the flight times and duration as well.

I just received confirmation that we have non-stop flights at great times.

Since you seem to be cruising during a school vacation week, you may not get that lucky, but maybe you will.

My thought, before i received my flights, as long as they get me on that ship I'll be happy. Perhaps you could ask RCCL about custom-air and see how much more it will cost you to pick your flight.

Good Luck & Have a GREAT Cruise

Jackie

For our upcoming cruise, I also started out with RCCL air and hotel package. RCCL's price was over $1,000. I went on line and found a one way ticket from Orlando to LAX for $136.00, booked the same hotel at the same price RCCL was quoting and shuttle service all for under $500.00. That is $500.00 staying in my pocket not RCCL. Currently, I have my flights booked with RCCL as at the time the price was good (round trip $759.00 per person). However, I will check the costs of flights to Alaska and see how they compare and the number of transfers and layovers.

I booked air through RCCL for a cruise out of San Juan for a better price than I could find on my own. We're cruising Thanksgiving week. I was concerned about the flight times and duration as well.

I just received confirmation that we have non-stop flights at great times.

Since you seem to be cruising during a school vacation week, you may not get that lucky, but maybe you will.

My thought, before i received my flights, as long as they get me on that ship I'll be happy. Perhaps you could ask RCCL about custom-air and see how much more it will cost you to pick your flight.

Good Luck & Have a GREAT Cruise

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I actually did try to see what the difference would be with custom air, and found out that there is NO custom air option for President's week to San Juan - kind of scary... I'm taking the attitude that no matter how bad the flights are, at least they will get me there, and for a A LOT less than what I can get on my own - the lowes airfares around $700 rt (and there are four of us) - I got $599 through RCCL AND that includes my transfers as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed... I know they will try to get me the possible flights they can - it's in their best interest to make me happy so I will book another cruise with them. I also heard that when they can't find you seats on a commercial airline, and there are enough people going from the same airport, they will run a charter, which is even better, since everyone on the plane is going to the same place - the flights are usually direct, too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Debbie from Stoneham, MA

• 4 months later...

I found the airfare through RCI much better too. We booked with them at about a $200pp savings over the major airlines and most of them had weird stopovers and round-about itineraries. I guess there must be a lot of us because RCI has a charter leaving from JFK to Miami for that same presidents/school vacation week you were talking about - Feb17th, at 7am.

Anyone ever heard of Miami Air? I know it is a big plane from their website - but that's it. Also - how do you find out your seats?

Anyone else on this flight?

Well - it's coming right up:D , so I hope it works out better than the experiences most people seem to be reporting.:rolleyes:

Archived