Norwegian Crown - August 2007

Hot4acruise

:) Hi Everyone! I am posting about the Crown because I just booked a cruise for next August! This will be our 2nd cruise, but our first with our kids. We have booked AC Category, Cabin 1021. Has anyone out there stayed in that cabin? Any feedback would be appreciated!!! We have never cruised with NCL, but have done the Bermuda cruise on the Zenith. I understand this ship is approx the same size as the Zenith. Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone out there that has experienced the Crown to Bermuda. I'm excited about our upcoming trip (about 326 days away!)

Thanks!

:D

Guest LoveMyBoxer

We sailed on the NCL Crown on 8/27/06 to Bermuda. It was our second time on NCL, but first time since they changed to freestyle. Last year we went on the Zenith to Bermuda. The Crown is a beautiful ship, however, since she is a small ship, she wasn't meant for the freestyle experience. The pool on the Crown is smaller than on the Zenith and gets very crowed early on, so if you want a deck chair get there early. Just understand that the freestyle experience means that there is no set time/place when to eat and you will never have the same waiter/bus boy. The Bistro is a specialty restaurant which costs extra and you have to make reservations, probably as soon as you board. The food in the main dining room and buffet was just so so, nothing spectacular. We were in a balcony suite and passed by your cabin, looked like it was good size with a beautiful bay window. Don't go expecting the same as on the Zenith, it is very different and most of the people on NCL do not dress up. Overall we loved the ship and Bermuda (14th time there!) and made the most of the cruise. I don't think we will ever sail on NCL again. Oh, I forgot, after this is read, I'm sure all the NCL "cheerleaders" will be chiming in and attacking.

Have never been on the Crown but have been on the Zenith twice. Just wanted to chime in and let ya know, the Crown is actually quite a bit smaller than the Zenith, Zenith is around 47,000 GRT while the Crown comes in at just over 34,000 GRT. Have a great cruise......

We sailed on the NCL Crown on 8/27/06 to Bermuda. It was our second time on NCL, but first time since they changed to freestyle. Last year we went on the Zenith to Bermuda. The Crown is a beautiful ship, however, since she is a small ship, she wasn't meant for the freestyle experience. The pool on the Crown is smaller than on the Zenith and gets very crowed early on, so if you want a deck chair get there early. Just understand that the freestyle experience means that there is no set time/place when to eat and you will never have the same waiter/bus boy. The Bistro is a specialty restaurant which costs extra and you have to make reservations, probably as soon as you board. The food in the main dining room and buffet was just so so, nothing spectacular. We were in a balcony suite and passed by your cabin, looked like it was good size with a beautiful bay window. Don't go expecting the same as on the Zenith, it is very different and most of the people on NCL do not dress up. Overall we loved the ship and Bermuda (14th time there!) and made the most of the cruise. I don't think we will ever sail on NCL again. Oh, I forgot, after this is read, I'm sure all the NCL "cheerleaders" will be chiming in and attacking.

I agree, the Crown wasn't designed for Freestyle Cruising. That's why after next summer's cruises, Fred Olsen is taking over the Crown and converting it into the Balmoral. Check out the Crown's future at

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/fredolsen/process/fleet/fleet_index/ship=balmoral.html

Most cruise lines sail older and smaller ships to Bermuda because of the setup of Bermuda's most desired ports of Hamilton and St. George. The only Bermuda port capable of handling today's newer and larger ships is King's Wharf.

Food being more so-so at the Main restaurants on ships with Speciality restaurants should be expected. I don't know why so many believe free "included with fare" food should be equal to "pay extra" food? Serously folks, why would anyone "pay extra" if the "free" food is just as good?

Having stated that, I don't expect the restaurant food to fall all the way down to buffet food. But I don't expect 5 star food at them anymore.

Thank you to those of you who shared! I do appreciate the pros, as well as the cons! The most important thing about this cruise to us would have to be the size of the cabin (to accomodate the family) and the service. We love the idea that most of the trip consists of Bermuda Bermuda Bermuda! And the ship being smaller is okay with us too! I've read mixed reviews, but look forward to the trip all the same. I hope to cruise on a HUGE ship someday, so I have something to compare this trip to. As I've mentioned earlier, I have only traveled on the Zenith. SO, for us - we've only been on smaller ships.

Look forward to hearing from anyone else - and thanks again to those who have already shared!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Thank you to those of you who shared! I do appreciate the pros, as well as the cons! The most important thing about this cruise to us would have to be the size of the cabin (to accomodate the family) and the service. We love the idea that most of the trip consists of Bermuda Bermuda Bermuda! And the ship being smaller is okay with us too! I've read mixed reviews, but look forward to the trip all the same. I hope to cruise on a HUGE ship someday, so I have something to compare this trip to. As I've mentioned earlier, I have only traveled on the Zenith. SO, for us - we've only been on smaller ships.

Look forward to hearing from anyone else - and thanks again to those who have already shared!

Don't worry the cabin will be big enough for you guys and you'll have a good time on the Crown. One last tip, if you want to attend the shows, get there early because the lounge was meant for two sessions and with only one show per night the lounge gets really crowded and even standing room only. Enjoy and have fun.

I would love to see pictures from others that have cruised on the Crown! Please feel free to post pics with reply (or the URL ) would love to see!!! I haven't gotten much feedback about the Crown. Not sure if my post was just dull and boring, or not many people have much to share about this ship! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Erin

We got back from the Crown Sept. 17, and had a wonderful time. It was our second time on this ship and itinerary, and she's a little beauty, very well-maintained. Her style of decoration is very similar to Zenith, although some areas of Zenith were updated in recent refits and Crown remains very much a design of the late 80s. Zenith theatre is superior.

The food in the main dining room was not up to the NCL Spirit in May, (may be some slipping there) unfortunately, but generally very good and Bistro is great. In August you should have a very full ship (we try to avoid that) and there's really no question that the Crown with 950 pax is more comfortable than with all berths full. Probably will be quite a hunt for deck space...get yours early! Entertainment was great (no full stage for big production shows here, though) and the staff was friendly and helpful. Forget what people say about freestyle and service: you'll see the same staff over and over again on this ship and get to know many by name. We eat late, so waited only once for dinner, and that was about 6 minutes.

We can't wait to cruise the Crown one more time to Bermuda! (Btw, we had big swells from Hurricane Florence, and can report that she handles herself very well, although if you have trouble with a rolling ship, listen to Capt. Borg and take your Bonine!)

Archived