QM2 - "Stumper" question ...

Spike_Spiegel

Okay, a free drink to anyone who can definitively answer this one for me!

My favorite cocktail is a classic gin concoction known as the "Aviation".

(For the curious, the traditional recipe is: 2 oz. gin, 1 oz. Maraschino Liqueur, 1/2 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice - shaken with ice and then strained into a tumbler.)

It would be a real treat to have them while on-board ... trouble is, in addition to being not much in-favor these days, one of the ingredients is somewhat hard to come-by, depending on your location.

That ingredient is 'Maraschino Liqueur'.

If you don't know, this wonderful clear liquid has nothing to do with the red cherries you see on desserts. (Although it is made from cherry stones.) It is used in a few cocktails, a number of Italian dishes, and can be very hard to find! (I have to buy it in NYC.)

Anyhow, my question is do any of the bars on the QM2 perhaps stock Maraschino liqueur?

It wouldn't "ruin my trip" or anything if they did not, but it would certainly be a very nice treat if I found they did. Perhaps someone has a contact on-board they can ask ... or someone sailing in the next week or two could check.

And if you can find the answer - I'm buying your next round!

- Spike

(For the curious, the traditional recipe is: 2 oz. gin, 1 oz. Maraschino Liqueur, 1/2 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice - shaken with ice and then strained into a tumbler.)

It would be a real treat to have them while on-board ... trouble is, in addition to being not much in-favor these days, one of the ingredients is somewhat hard to come-by, depending on your location.

That ingredient is 'Maraschino Liqueur'.

If you don't know, this wonderful clear liquid has nothing to do with the red cherries you see on desserts. (Although it is made from cherry stones.) It is used in a few cocktails, a number of Italian dishes, and can be very hard to find! (I have to buy it in NYC.)

Anyhow, my question is do any of the bars on the QM2 perhaps stock Maraschino liqueur?

It wouldn't "ruin my trip" or anything if they did not, but it would certainly be a very nice treat if I found they did. Perhaps someone has a contact on-board they can ask ... or someone sailing in the next week or two could check.

And if you can find the answer - I'm buying your next round!

- Spike

If you call customer relations they will make every effort to have it on board for you and at your favorite watering hole also!!!Cunard has done this for us in the past!!!

I would be very surprised if they didn't carry it onboard somewhere. I don't think that it's as obscure in Europe as it seems to be in the States - I wouldn't expect the local supermarket to sell it, but I would expect to find it at a decent off licence (In York we have three or four o/l's that I'd consider decent).

I know if I've wanted something obscure on the QE2 they might have to send to a different bar for it, but they've always had what I wanted (except for once when I finished their supply partway through a voyage!)

It's not a definitive answer, but it's as close as I can get - when you find out if they stock Maraschino or not let us know.

- Spike

I'm familiar with Maraschino Liqueur because I experimented with adding it (few drops) to a "perfect Manhattan" instead of cherry juice. We had to go to Boston to find it.

Two solutions to your problem: Bring your own in a toiletries bottle from Duane Reade...order a Lemon (or Lime) Rickey, soda on the side...and add to taste. Or...have the Barkeep substitute Cherry Brandy, which most bars have on hand. Experiment with this at home first...I would think 1/2 ounce CB would be about right. Slightly too much Cherry Brandy in a drink creates RobiTussin!

Cheers...and good luck.

Bob Ring

4 days till boarding QM2 :cool:

Hurrah!

Thanks Malcolm, vt, FM - for the input.

I'm not sure which one of you earns the free drink ... lol. But I am a man of my word ... give me an avenue with which to pay up and I will do it!

Malcolm, from what I can remember you are not are crossing with us on the Nov 18 westbound ... but with all of the free advice you've shared I owe you a pint of something by now!

I plan on passing the word along to customer service ... so far our CVP (Dianne) has been wonderfully helpful!

Thanks again all of you!

- Spike

Archived