Lamanai or Xunantunich?

TravelQuestions

We want to visit either Lamanai or Xunantunich on a cruise tour. Which one would be better for a senior citizen that has trouble walking uphill? We know climbing the pyramids would be out for him, but which of the two tours would require less uphill walking? Also, is Xunantunich really a 3 hour drive from the cruise ship? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. (We've already been to Altun Ha on another cruise.)

We went to lamanai. It was a walk, though mostly level. My husband three months after a knee replacement was able to manage it, though slowly. My impression of Xunantunich was that there was an uphill climb from the bus to the temples.

SU

Yes, there is an uphill climb from the bus to the temples at Xunantunich...it is taken slowly, but it is hot, and it is uphill.

Otherwise, GORGEOUS tour!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the Lamanai and the new river safari twice in the last 5 years and saw different things each time. It is a bus ride of about 45 mins, then by boat to the ruins. Slow on the way and quick on the way back. The ruins are pretty much level and your guide will take the time to explain things and let you go at your own pace. You can also go on your own and see it all or part. It also includes a simple but good lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived