Are bags checked at every port in Hawaii?

ZipLine

Hi, we are sailing Nov. 6 and can not wait. I have read alot on the topic of smuggling alcohol on board, but nobody has mentioned any thing about when you come back from a day trip. Do they really check your bags at that time??

:confused:

You didn't specify which "Pride of (Aloha, Hawaii, America)", however the rersponse is basically the same. You are always subject to a bag search when coming back on board. Some people occasionally get away with it. Others (mostly) do not.

Hi, we are sailing Nov. 6 and can not wait. I have read alot on the topic of smuggling alcohol on board, but nobody has mentioned any thing about when you come back from a day trip. Do they really check your bags at that time??

:confused:

Just got back from POH. Yes they search & Yes everyday I saw bottles of booze sitting in the bins on their table (the ones that didn't make it onto the ship!) What a waste of good times! Better to pay the price onboard then risk paying twice LOL Water, pop, juice no problem. We restocked in Hilo, Maui and Kona.

It is great to talk to someone who just got back. I would really like to hear if you did any excursions and if you have any recommendations. So far we have booked the Kauai Canopy ZipLine tour and then thought we would just rent a car a each port and do our own thing? Besides my husband getting in a few rounds of golf.

We were on Pride of America. Bags were x-rayed and/or searched at every port. Everyone had to empty their pockets and go through a metal detector.

We didn't do the zipline tour, but heard good things from someone who did.

I would also recommend Captain Zodiac out of Kona. This tour is great. The only people who don't seem to like it are the ones who are not water people at all, or those who spend a lot of time in the water/on boats already.

In addition to your golf, make sure you spend some time seeing the great scenery. Volcano National Park is a great trip to do yourself if you're renting a car. I could go on... LOL!

Yes, bags are checked and x-rayed at every port. At some you are even wanded with an metal detector or walk through one. They looked in every zipper compartment in my camera bag. I think the independent security company is more interested in finding smuggled drugs than the occaisional bottle of booze.

Capt. Zodiac is a must do!

Remember when snorkeling there is no such thing as a private beach in Hawaii. That means you can snorkel where ever you want to for free. Pick out the fanciest hotel or mansion, utilize the public access trail and snorkel to your hearts content.

We went to the nicest hotel in Maui and went out to their beach. We were shocked when a hotel employee ran over to us (we thought he was going to run us off) and offered us free chairs or drinks/umbrellas for a small fee. He wanted to know if there was anything he could do to make our afternoon better.

What hotel would have that been?? Maybe we should make a trip there. LOL

What a nice bit of R&R that sounds like.

By the sounds of it I think we will probaly just buy a bottle or two for our stateroom, it looks like the most economical way to go. This way we can mix up our own drinks for a 1/4 of the price. I read that you can buy a 1 litre bottle of CC for $40.00 plus a $3.00 bar set up fee. That works for us.

Cheers

Thanks everyone,

I guess we could try the pop bottles, no problems with leaking? I am disappointed that they do not allow bar set up in your state room. That way they could of had our money and we would not have minded paying. On well plan 2.

Thanks for the input, We have decided that the Volcano is a must when we are in Hilo. And we really want to get in some snorkeling, so we are looking for the best beaches that we can drive too.

Cheers

Well, among people who are familiar with Maui, some are partial to the West Maui beaches and others the Wailea area. I'm of the Wailea persuasion, mainly because I've been going to Maui for the past 25 years (had a condo there) and find the beaches absolutely wonderful for snorkeling, and secondarily because you don't have to deal with the traffic going through Lahaina! All are free beaches; my suggestion for the best is Ulua Beach, but the whole Wailea area up to Kihei is wall-to-wall great beaches. Rent a car and go south!

Well, among people who are familiar with Maui, some are partial to the West Maui beaches and others the Wailea area. I'm of the Wailea persuasion, mainly because I've been going to Maui for the past 25 years (had a condo there) and find the beaches absolutely wonderful for snorkeling, and secondarily because you don't have to deal with the traffic going through Lahaina! All are free beaches; my suggestion for the best is Ulua Beach, but the whole Wailea area up to Kihei is wall-to-wall great beaches. Rent a car and go south!

The Wailea/Makena beaches are good. No doubt about that. However, we are of the west Maui persuasion and love Honolua marine preserve (including Slaughterhouse) and Kapalua, Napili, Airport, and Ka'anapali beaches.

We don't mind the Lahaina traffic, but then again, we always stay in Lahaina.:D

You really can't go wrong either way, IMO.

beachchick

Archived