Belize excursions

holycowv8

Our first cruise is scheduled on HAL 12/09/06. We obtained great info here about Ivan and David's tour of Chacchoben. Now our question is of the two choices at Belize, Alton Ha or Xunantunich which to choose. Any suggestions or recommendations or comments? Also are there an independent tour operators with quality credentials (like Ivan and David at Costa Maya) for these sites?:) We are looking forward to this trip and learning of and visiting sites of ancient cultures. Thanks in advance and thanks to all for replies to our previous post that gave the info re: Ivan and David.:) :) :) :)

My husband and I went to Altun Ha in Belize last March and it was absolutely beautiful! We new we wanted to see ruins while in Belize but did not want an extremely long excursion - really all you needs to do is look at them and take the climb to the top if you wish( I would highyl recommend taking the hike up if you can - great pictures!) In any case Altun ha was composed of maybe 4 or 5 large structures which included original mayan masks and some things still buried and unexposed. The ride there is not that long and it has a cute gift shop near the parking lot. We were able to do the ruins which I can't describe how breath taking seeing something like that is and then shop in Belize after our excursion. It was great! My mother in law did Lamanai which she also enjoyed but it was like a 7 hours excursion rather than the 4-5 hour Altun Ha. Hope this helps! :)

Our first cruise is scheduled on HAL 12/09/06. We obtained great info here about Ivan and David's tour of Chacchoben. Now our question is of the two choices at Belize, Alton Ha or Xunantunich which to choose. Any suggestions or recommendations or comments? Also are there an independent tour operators with quality credentials (like Ivan and David at Costa Maya) for these sites?:) We are looking forward to this trip and learning of and visiting sites of ancient cultures. Thanks in advance and thanks to all for replies to our previous post that gave the info re: Ivan and David.:) :) :) :)

I wouldn't recommend an independent tour in Belize, especially not to go someplace as far as Xunantunich (its a 2 hour drive from the port). I booked a shore excursion through Carnival back in May to Xunantunich and our bus broke down on the way back to the port. We were stranded in the middle of no where and it took forever to get a replacement bus. We didn't arrive back at the port until 2 hours after the ship was supposed to depart but luckily since we had booked through Carnival the ship waited. Someone at our dinner table went on the Alton Ha shore excursion and coincidentally their boat broke down and were also late getting back to the ship (although not nearly as late as my excursion). Belize is a developing country so if I were you I would play it safe there and book through HAL.

Fully agree with Pog27! Belize along with Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala and, to a lesser extend Costa Maya, are places with a lot of under developed areas surounding them. I know/it sounds like you've got your mind set on visiting archeological sites which is great. We were in Belize in 2005 and took an excursion to their zoo set in an authentic rainforrest area. A very interesting trip to see Central American animals in their true habitat

Hello Holycow -

Are you on the Veendam 12/9 out of Tampa? If so, check out the Roll Call boards for that sailing. We have quite a thread going there and also a Meet and Greet party scheduled for Dec. 11.:) Please sign on so we have an opportunity to "meet" you before we sail. We already have 24 people scheduled for the party and hoping for more.

I would like to do Altun Ha and would like to hire my own guide if I could get a small group together. It's only a 4 hour tour.

Archived