I have a crazy question...

MamaParrotHead

I've never noticed dirty dishes in my pictures- maybe because I've always just loved the memories :) We always purchase the group formal dining room pictures and at least 2 others from the week. I LOVE them!!! We usually spend about $350 per cruise on all the photos because the photographers seem to always catch us at the perfect times (I'm guessing the touch ups they perform don't hurt either :p )

Honestly, I've never purchased a picture on a cruise. In fact, there aren't many taken of me on any of my cruises. Not many anywhere come to think of it. LOL In our office directory it says "photo not available" by my name. :D

We don't cut in line but we don't do embarkation photos and I always wave them off in port. They're not always nice about it in the dining room and I find it pretty disruptive actually. Once a photographer told a friend of mine that she needed to get out of her seat and MOVE at dinner so he could take his precious shot. Got a 45 day letter out of that one.

The way I look at it is that you can go when they set up to take photos on formal nights and you get your picture taken coming and going so why is it necessary at dinner? And more importantly, why is it a travesty if you don't want your picture taken? Some photographers are worse than others.

We didn't buy a single pic the entire cruise! I couldn't believe how much they charged for one pic. I also thought the whole lining up for pics on the way to dinner was a pain. They could move it out of the way a bit so that those who don't want to take a picture aren't forced to wade through all of those waiting for one.

We didn't buy a single pic the entire cruise! I couldn't believe how much they charged for one pic. I also thought the whole lining up for pics on the way to dinner was a pain. They could move it out of the way a bit so that those who don't want to take a picture aren't forced to wade through all of those waiting for one.

I've never seen a picture line going to dinner :confused: I've seen the stations set up in the atrium on the way to dinner, but completely different than the line for dinner... what ship was this? that would bother me... thankfully never ran into it...

It was on the Conquest. The stations were set up just a few feet from the entrance to the (walkway?) entrance to the dining room. People waiting were in the way for anyone trying to go in. It wasn't a huge problem, but you feel intrusive trying to get by people, especially when it's a large group or family.

Although I hate being interrupted while enjoying my dinner, sometimes my mood will allow a picture or two. I will say, I have purchased a few only because they happened to be good pictures of my husband and I together which rarely happens.

I figure it's a moment captured that will never happen again and I look back at some of the pictures and the memories are immediately recalled of that particular cruise.

Yes, it's another way for the cruise lines to make a buck.. If you don't want the picture taken simply say no thank you and the photographer will be off to their next "victim"

Sue

Each day I check out the pictures in the Photo Gallery, discarding more than I buy. The more cruises we've taken, the more discriminating I've become on the ones I'll purchase. I hate ... hate .... the ones with Mexican hats, parrots, pirates ... although I know those pictures are popular with the kids. I think that's disruptive. And, we don't buy the ones of us by ourselves. We also politely bypass the photogs for the port pictures.

But, some of the candid pictures taken of us as a couple in the dining room, at the Captain's party, and other such venues, catch us more relaxed and happy than the formal portraits, and they're perfect. Also, if we've made good friends with our tablemates, we've been known to buy that group picture from our dining table.

Who here has actually PURCHASED any of the pictures they take while you're seated at the dinner table? To me, it irks me on many levels. First of all, there is no flattering angle when you're shooting people akwardly smooshing together on one side of the table. Secondly, I really don't want to pay $10-$20 for a photo of me with dirty dishes and half-eaten food in front of me, nor ones with food in my mouth (or, god forbid, on my face that I may have missed with my napkin). :D And lastly, but most importantly, I think it's kind of rude, and don't want to support that practice.

As you can see from the response, the dinner photos are actually one of the most popular dinner photos out there - You have to look at both sides - Do you think that the photographer actually enjoys going into a huge dining room to interrupt guests at dinner? Not likely (from personal experience). They are there for a reason - They sell well! Fact is, a majority of guests enjoy them, and if done correctly, the photos can turn out very good. A simple "No thank you" will move the photographer on, or quicker yet, just smile - It'll be over in a flash! You are never forced into buying them.

I buy the pictures on the ship for one reason. They are so much better that the ones I take. The one's I dont like, I don't buy. I buy a few every cruise so when the kids get older I can prove that I took them somewhere

I've purchased dinner photos on both of our previuos cruises, and I looked awful in both! Mama, you're absolutely correct, there's just no flattering angle for this kind of shot. But, for me at least, I like to be reminded of the folks I've had the pleasure of dining with. We've been lucky, and had great tablemates!

So, even though I continue to not take good photos, I'll continue to buy them!

LOL...I just had to double check the other room befor I answered, but we have a large one in one of those leather book frames with a picture of the ship on one side and one of the best pictures of My wife and I that was taken in the dinning room back in May.

I do find it annoying being interupted during dinner, but I can either say no thank you, or roll with it and hope I end up with a great photo that comes with a ton of memories.

I buy photos depending on how we look in them. On our last cruise, on the Ecstasy, the dining room photo came out great, we all look really nice, relaxed smiles, etc., so we purchased it. It was our first cruise with all five of us and we were willing to purchase several of the better photos. Yes, there were some half-empty salad bowls in the photos, but other than that it is a nice family photo and a great memento.

Well like everything else , you don't have to participate if you don't want to. You just politly let the photographer know that you don't want your picture taken, they are more then happy to oblige! The debark and embark pictures can be a little annoying but we got a great family pic on our last cruise with all of our custom made T-shirts on during the emark pics...... small incovienience really..........I don't really mind. Don't sweat the small stuff is my suggestion!

I concur. It took me several cruises to learn a few important pieces of information. One is that you can have as many servings of an item on the menu that you want and two is that you can tell the photographers, "No." I thought that I had to have the pictures taken each of the 40,000 times I was approached. I saw others saying no and thought, "No? I can say no??" I've been saying no ever since. I much prefer the pics we take ourselves (the formal portraits are the exception, of course). Note to self at the dinner table or anywhere else: if it bugs you, just say no. ;)

Purchased a dinner pic on every cruise and even took some of my own. Only noticed the fun everyone was having.

Went back and looked at several and had to laugh. Wife fixing to eat escargo and son making a face. Several others shots as well. Mother trying to eat a cold soup.

I guess it's just what you make of it.:p

Others things that would seem to be more gross or not proper: sitting on a toilet, sneezing on the buffet line, etc.......:(

Archived