Hotel Keeping My Luggage From Me?

AlohaGirlAtHeart

This might be a silly question,but I want to make sure that its not what I think it is...On the back of my Greyhound Travel Services coupon it says " All guests are required to store their luggage in the secure area provided by the hotel. We suggest you bring an overnight bag to the hotel."

This is a coupon from Carnival that I will use to take the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. It doesn't really mean that the hotel is going to keep my luggage over night, does it? That would be horrible...HELP! :confused:

Yes, that is exactly what it means. The hotel stores your luggage, except for an overnight bag, and they have it loaded on the transport (bus) early in the morning. That way they are not waiting to load luggage and passengers when the shuttle is ready to go.

Why in the world would you need all your luggage for an overnight stay anyways?

Ok, I just called the hotel and they said that they don't do that...Now I'm really confused. Guess I better just pack an over night bag anyways. And the reason behind needing my luggage is because we are flying, and I don't want to check one extra over night bag when I can just put everything in my suitcase. Seems like less hassle to me,but maybe I am wrong.

One other question for someone that might be able to help...Do we need to have locks on our luggage? I know we can't have them in the airport. but maybe after we get to the hotel put them on? Thanks!

Yes, that is exactly what it means. The hotel stores your luggage, except for an overnight bag, and they have it loaded on the transport (bus) early in the morning. That way they are not waiting to load luggage and passengers when the shuttle is ready to go.

Why in the world would you need all your luggage for an overnight stay anyways?

Yes... what LMHSRN said.

Also, keep in mind that you would want a carry-on for the ship too, as your luggage may not arrive to your cabin right away... sometimes as late as 8:00pm.

Keep your meds, bathing suits, personal items, docs and passports, small changes of clothes, toiletries, etc in your carry-on, so that you can use the pool and such until your luggage arrives to your cabin.

Happy sailing. :)

...Do we need to have locks on our luggage? I know we can't have them in the airport. but maybe after we get to the hotel put them on? Thanks!

I use the quick-release plastic ties (get them at walgreens/ longs/ cvs drugs, etc.). It keeps honest people honest, the airlines can easily remove them to search your luggage if needed (they did mine, one time), and they hold all the zippers together so your luggage doesn't accidentally open up while in transit (I'm assuming a zippered roller suitcase).

I wouldn't bother with a lock... if someone want's your stuff, they will get it. Just don't put anything valuble in your checked luggage. Keep it in your carry-on.

Thanks for the info..I guess that I am just frustrated because with the new airline regulations, I cannot take all of my personal items as a carry on. But I'm glad that I know what to do now, and I will be packing an over night bag...

Yes... what LMHSRN said.

Also, keep in mind that you would want a carry-on for the ship too, as your luggage may not arrive to your cabin right away... sometimes as late as 8:00pm.

Keep your meds, bathing suits, personal items, docs and passports, small changes of clothes, toiletries, etc in your carry-on, so that you can use the pool and such until your luggage arrives to your cabin.

Happy sailing. :)

One other question for someone that might be able to help...Do we need to have locks on our luggage? I know we can't have them in the airport. but maybe after we get to the hotel put them on? Thanks!

You most certainly can have locks at the airport they just have to be TSA approved. They sell these at target, walmart, staples, etc. I always feel better with locks on everything.

You most certainly can have locks at the airport they just have to be TSA approved. They sell these at target, walmart, staples, etc...

Agreed! Also, I believe Carnival asks you (or perhaps "strongly suggests") to lock your luggage before you check it at the cruise terminal. Not only is it a bit of a security measure, it will help keep your luggage from accidentally coming unzipped while it's being loaded onto the ship and taken to your cabin. I'm sure we've all seen/heard what happens when luggage comes open during handling at the airport and I know I don't want that to happen to mine! :eek:

You most certainly can have locks at the airport they just have to be TSA approved. They sell these at target, walmart, staples, etc. I always feel better with locks on everything.

I've used these locks (and bought locking luggage that was TSA approved) and every time, they have been cut off!

One time, it was my locking hard travel case for my golf clubs. They just busted the lock mechanism right off! and then duct taped the thing back together!

Since then, I've just carried zipties. Simple and effective.

I've used these locks (and bought locking luggage that was TSA approved) and every time, they have been cut off!

One time, it was my locking hard travel case for my golf clubs. They just busted the lock mechanism right off! and then duct taped the thing back together!

Since then, I've just carried zipties. Simple and effective.

I have never had a problem and I travel A LOT and always use the locks they have never been cutoff

Are these locks with a key? I am going to Walmart today and want to pick some up...thanks

From what I saw at Target (I'm sure Walmart carries the same or similar ones) they have both combination and key locks that are TSA approved. Just depends on which type you prefer.

Are these locks with a key? I am going to Walmart today and want to pick some up...thanks

There are both key and combination locks that are TSA approved.

But like someone else stated. If they are in a hurry, an arse, or just lazy, they will cut the lock off rather than invest the time to use the key.

Archived