What is the earliest we can board the Conquest?

CruisinRnG

Sort of on the same note, what's the latest you can get there? I have read that many times it is better to just wait and get there later. Does anyone have any experience with this? My husband and I will be driving to Galveston from Lafayette, LA that morning. Thanks.

The worst time to arrive is early afternoon. This is when the crush is greatest. You can arrive as late as 3:00 but if you are delayed for some reason you don't have a big cushion and could miss the ship if delayed long. Also the lunch buffet ends at 3:30. This isn't a big deal but we enjoy having lunch on the ship and some time to explore before muster drill.

HAHA nomoreknothead... Last one there is a rotten egg!

You will know me because I will be the one with a big grin on my face, sail n sign card in hand and on about my 2nd or 3rd Umbrella drink :D :D Actually, perhaps all the cruise critic folks on that day should request the same color of umbrella.. AS IF that will make us easy to spot. lol

Join our roll call sometime! We are working on a meet and greet!

I just got back from the roll call thread! Ya'll are a bunch of great folks! Can't wait for this trip! I just realized this is also super bowl sunday, thank goodness we arn't sailing from Miami!! :eek: !!!! I had a flight to atlanta,ga a few years ago and was wonder why it was so full come to find our we were on a plane full of super bowl attendees!! It was a rowdy bunch!

Usually you can board around noon. We like to arrive in Galveston around 10:45. Although it is chaotic outside the terminal there are no lines or very short ones inside.

According to some very recent Conquest reviews, there were lines in the terminal as early as 9:45. We'll be sailing on her on October 8, and plan to arrive at the terminal around 10. I'll let you know how it goes ;) Some of us on our roll call were joking about camping out in the terminal like we were waiting for concert tickets to go on sale!

According to some very recent Conquest reviews, there were lines in the terminal as early as 9:45. We'll be sailing on her on October 8, and plan to arrive at the terminal around 10. I'll let you know how it goes ;) Some of us on our roll call were joking about camping out in the terminal like we were waiting for concert tickets to go on sale!

I would expect to see lines at 9:45, atleast anyone arriving at that time would simply be waiting. No one is there to check anyone in at that hour. Check-in usually begins around 11:00, sometimes as early as 10:30. You still can't board until around noon.

Sounds like a plan to me! The earlier we get on the ship, the earlier the party starts:D :D

I was curious because I read a post a while back that said they were turned away and told to come back at 130. We are coming in the night before and catching the shuttle from the Galvez. I wasnt sure how that worked.

We'll be boarding at 10:30 on the 15th (for a wedding), it'll be the earliest I've been on a ship yet... and I can't wait!! Looking forward to some exploring time... Will the bars be open??? :eek:

Hmmmmm.. VERY good info to know. I would think they would.. at least give the folks a Bloody Mary to start the day off. Keep me informed.

It varies from week to week depending on arrival time & clearing Customs.

The US Customs Officers "own the ship" until all the passengers have cleared. Sometimes events from the prior cruise makes for a delay. Many times people board as early as 11:30 am and some as late as 1:00 pm.

The Conquest is easy to board, just carefully consider the late arrival time before you decide. Variables include construction, traffic, weather and vehicle trouble.

Your sailing date is the off season for Galveston tourism, so the traffic to the island will flow down I-45 at 70 mph. Consider using a detour around the line of cars along Harborside drive and jog one block over to the south to Strand Ave. Return to Harborside at 20th street and head straight to the terminal. Works for us everytime.

When you come in from Houston take the Beltway 8 system south to I-45 and you will have smooth sailing all the way. Some might suggest Hwy. 146, but there are many traffic signals. The Beltway has two toll plazas along this route.

Just my opinion, but I live south of Houston and drive these roads daily...

Some Conquest images: http://family.webshots.com/album/487389508qeWwtW

When you come in from Houston take the Beltway 8 system south to I-45 and you will have smooth sailing all the way. Some might suggest Hwy. 146, but there are many traffic signals. The Beltway has two toll plazas along this route.

This is a good idea if you are coming from I-10 east (Beaumont). If you are coming from I-10 west (San Antonio/Austin) I would not recommend it, especially if you don't have an EZ-tag for the tolls. The exact change lanes can cause significant delays. Coming from Dallas one should just remain on I-45 and drive through town.

The massive re-construction of the west loop (I-610) through the Galleria area was complete yesterday, Yeah! This will speed traffic through the entire western half of the city as the back-ups effected 290, I-10 and 59.

Great Pics Blusry, thank you for sharing! Seeing pics of the Conquest keep me pumped! Just 4 months and 6 days! I hope I can make it that long:)

We anticipated traffic issues in Houston. Murphy's law would have it that there would be some kind of major disaster that would keep us stuck in Houston for hours if we tried to go up the same day (even though Austin isnt THAT far away). So, we are going down the day before. We are staying at the Galvez, so unless there is some kind of un-natural act of God :eek: and we cant walk if necessary, we will be there early :D . We have sooo been needing this cruise... NOTHING is going to keep us from it. (of course now that I say that.. watch something happen... everyone please knock on wood... Whew.. thanks!)

My wife and I and friends will drive down on Sunday morning. This is our third cruise on the Conquest. We will arrive around 10:30 am. The key to early boarding is the earliest your selected parking lot will allow you to park. We have, in the past, been on the Conquest by 11:30 am.

As previously noted the key is how quickly they clear customs and empty the ship.

We would rather arrive early and wait in increasing anticipation.

Have a great time.

Archived