Hilo or Kona

coiran

The majority of the hotels are on the Kona side. Hilo really doesn't have many hotels (or many of quality to speak of). Other choices might be B&Bs on the Hilo side. But I'd say overall, most tourists would find Hilo a little rainy overall for their taste. Kona is blessed with much more sunnier (and drier) weather. I would stay in Kona and plan on doing a long day trip to the Hilo side.

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...

Kona is drier - there is more to do and see - no question for us - Hilo has alot more rain and is older. But Hilo has its good points too, waterfdalls, beautiful botanical gardens and orchid stops, etc. Mauna Loa Macadamia factory is over there and a Japanese garden, its closer to the volcanoes national park, but Kona is closer to Captain Cook, Painted Church, Kealakekua and Place of Refuge etc. My favorite snorkel beach is in the Kona (Keauhou) area Kahaluu Beach Park ...in my next life I plan to live there as a turtle!

I'd stay in Kona; there is a lot to do and see there and the weather is great.

We were able to drive to Volcanoes National Park from South Kona and saw quite a bit; did Crater Rim Drive, then drove down the Chain of Craters Road to the very end. We could have hiked to the active lava flow but we chose not to.

We stopped in Punaluu Beach and saw turtles, then ate food in Tex Drive-In in Pahala on the way to the park. It took the whole day and we were pretty tired afterwards. But it was fun.

Archived