Full Ship and Upgrade questions?

Hi fellow cruisers,

I know there are always so many questions about upgrades and such, so here come mine.

First of all, I have heard several people refer to their ship as being full...etc. How do you find out if your ship is full or not?

Second, I have seen a post talking about if the ship isn't full it may be possible to pay more money for an upgraded room. Where do you go to inquire about paying for said upgrade? How soon should you do it? We are GTY OV (6A) and there are 4 of us in one cabin. We are all of adult size (our kids are teens and are 19 and 16, 5'11" and 6'0), and I am concerned we are going to be very cramped. A suite upgrade may be worth paying for, if we could get it. I understand that the Inspiration doesn't have just balcony rooms but only jumps to suites w/balconies after category 6.

Anyway, all info on this would be appreciated. Also, should my TA be looking into whether prices have dropped since we sail in 3 weeks?

A sign at the pursers will state "Ship full, no cabins available"

Paying for an upgrade is usually the difference in fare from your current cat to the suite, so if you want a suite you might want to pay for it now.You can ask at the pursers but unless you are first on the ship and first to ask you are probably at the end of a long line.

The rooms are inside, otside, and suites. The suites are the only ones with a balcony and there a only a handfull. I have done a cat 12 and it was not worth it IMHO. You will be cramped in the room,but you only sleep there so don't worry about it. Your better choice would have been a Destiny class vessel.The rooms are much larger.

Your TA should have been looking every month but I doubt rates will go down in the summer months.

Steve

I wouldn't worry too much about being cramped. The only time you are in your room is to sleep from my experiences. My husband is 6'6" and is built like a linebacker and he was perfectly comfortable in our cabin. We had four people in our cabin and we took turns sleeping on the top bunk. My husband had no problems sleeping even with his large size. He always slept like a baby and never complained about how much room he did or didn't have. If he was comfortable, you probably will be too. Just keep in mind, that we rarely spent much time in our room with the exception of getting some rest. This is true of most people because there is so much to see and do on the ship.

I would call my TA if I were you and ask if the ship was full and how you should go about getting an upgrade. That is what your TA is there for. They get a commission off of your purchase, so make them work for it. Mine has been very nice and full of helpful information. I hope this helps. Oh, and I am very jealous! My cruise isn't until October. I wish I could go on my cruise now. You are so lucky. Enjoy your cruise!

Steve - I appreciate all that info. I should have done my homework a little better as far as ships go, but Inspiration's itenerary really intrigued us.

CruisingQT - It is comforting to know that 4 in a cabin can be done fairly comfortably...at least sleeping anyway, which I guess is basically the only thing you are in there for.

I got a tip awhile ago on some board that if you are a family of four sharing a cabin, it may a good idea on formal nights for the guys (my hubby and son) to go get ready at the gym/spa and leave the cabin to my daughter and I. Is that possible? They said there were showers there (at the gym). They also said it was kinda cool because then the guys came to "pick them up" at the cabin and it made for a nice "date" feeling because they didn't see any of the preparations, just the "finished" looks of the ladies. :) We may try this if there are adequate facilities for the guys to use.

Archived