Carnival - Belize question

MikeNKim

This is probably the ultimate stupid question but is Belize in Mexico???

The reason I ask is I am checking over our cruise docs and it says in Mexico you require a letter from a parent for a minor if they are getting off the ship without both parents...or something like that.

We are all travelling together but in Belize DH and DS are doing a different excursion then myself and DD will be getting off separatley just to wander the port area. We will require letters from each other to get off and on the ship or because we are travelling together we are OK???

Sorry for such a confusing question but this has be a little worried now.

Thanks

Kim

Belize is not politically part of Mexico. It's a separate country adjacent to Mexico.

I've cruised a number of times with my children and left the husband at home. Only once did I get a letter from my spouse giving me permission to take the children out of the country. When we checked in at embarkation, I asked whether the agent needed to see the letter. No, they did not.

If your family is going on different excursions, you won't need anything other than your sail and sign card. I usually take my driver's license and passport anyway. I've never needed it though.

This is probably the ultimate stupid question but is Belize in Mexico???

The reason I ask is I am checking over our cruise docs and it says in Mexico you require a letter from a parent for a minor if they are getting off the ship without both parents...or something like that.

We are all travelling together but in Belize DH and DS are doing a different excursion then myself and DD will be getting off separatley just to wander the port area. We will require letters from each other to get off and on the ship or because we are travelling together we are OK???

Sorry for such a confusing question but this has be a little worried now.

Thanks

Kim

Belize is in Central Americia. it is the only english speaking country in Central Americia. Its not Mexico, it is its own country. Great scuba there in Belize

We were on the Miracle this time last year. I was traveling with my son and his father and my daughter. I WAS asked at check in at the port at the start of the trip for a letter from her father. She was 11 at the time. I read in your post that your DD was getting off the ship alone to wander the port. I do not know her age but Belize is not really a port that you would want to wander around alone in. The port area is very small with just a few stores. Beyond that can be pretty scarey. Our family left as part of a tour but I could not see us traveling around alone there. There were soldiers walking the streets carrying guns when we were there. The people were very nice but it is a very poor country. My SO works with a man from there whose brother is runnig for Prime Minister. They agree that the area around the cruise terminal in not a nice one but told us that there are islands farther down along the coast that are spectacular to see. Right now though there are no tours that I am aware of that go that far from the ship. They have also said that they are trying to get the cruise ships to build a port in that area and move from the part they dock in now.

Thank you for the concern, I don't think i explained it correctly DS 17 and DH are going to the ruins. DD 14 and myself do not want to go as we are seeing the ruins in Costa Maya and Cozumel so we where going to just walk around the fenced in area and where hoping to get a few local crafts etc. We are not going to wander outside that fenced area. Should we even avoid that fenced area????

My DD can't even walk around the block by herself, I am a over protective parent...lol so I would never let her on the Island or leave her behind on the ship by herself.....thank you again for your concern.

Kim

I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Glory. We went on a snorkeling excursion in Belize but after returning my daughter (9) and I decided to venture into Belize. I did not feel comfortable and could not wait to get back on the ship. They were very aggressive and would follow and taunt you. They asked for us to buy them soft drinks, tip them, grabbed at my daughter, etc.. I actually saw them chasing one of the tour buses returning from a cave tubing excursion trying to get them to stop. I also saw a lady get angry with a fellow passenger for allowing someone else to braid his hair when she had approached him first, etc... There were armed individuals guarding the gate and it still was uncomfortable. In the excursion speech that the Cruise Director gave he stated that if you were only doing one excursion to do it in Belize if you hoped to enjoy it and I would agree. Costa Maya is a beautiful port with nice shops, clean public pools, sunbathing, an outdoor arena with several "shows" during the day, nice bars, etc... Costa Maya is somewhere I could spend a day relaxing and shopping without springing for an excursion. Costa Maya and Belize are very close so my suggestion would be if the same excursion is offerred both places take it in Belize and enjoy Costa Maya. If you can't then just be cautious going into Belize and if you can go in with a group. As I said I'm new to cruising so not an expert but I just returned on Saturday, September 30th and this is what I experienced. I can tell you that when we were in Belize the Glory was the only ship porting there that week so they were all over us. Apparantly the traffic picks up in October for them so they might not be quite as aggressive. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the honest feedback. Taking an excursion sounds like a good idea. I'm sure the fenced in area around the port is safe also, but is there much to see and do there?

The fenced area has a few restaurants and vendor stalls. Otherwise, nothing else really.

Book an excursion, get off the boat, and enjoy the country. Otherwise, you will be left with a real distaste for Belize.

We did Xunantunich last year and will be doing Goff's Caye this year.

Have fun!

Thank you for the concern, I don't think i explained it correctly DS 17 and DH are going to the ruins. DD 14 and myself do not want to go as we are seeing the ruins in Costa Maya and Cozumel so we where going to just walk around the fenced in area and where hoping to get a few local crafts etc. We are not going to wander outside that fenced area. Should we even avoid that fenced area????

My DD can't even walk around the block by herself, I am a over protective parent...lol so I would never let her on the Island or leave her behind on the ship by herself.....thank you again for your concern.

Kim

I don't there is any need to avoid the fenced in area. We can't do excursions because we have a special needs child and are limited to what he can do. We plan to just ride the tender in and mill around the fenced in area for awhile. But we will NOT be going outside the fence.

Archived