Exercising on board...

star10

No step classes on the Miracle last week - I was a little disappointed. They had spinning, yoga and pilates on sea days and some afternoons for a $10/class fee. There were a few free other classes but were always while we were in port and not on the ship. If you want to work out on the machines, though, gym was great.

I took several cardio type classes on the Miracle and I thought that they were challenging. I work out at the gym on a regular basis and I thought that the classes that we took on the ship were comparable to the classes we take at home. I think it all depends on who is teaching the class and what type of people show up though. I had taken a class on a Princess ship and thought that it was a joke, I would have gotten a better workout walking back to my room. The gym on the Miracle was well equipped, but crowded during the morning hours.

I took a (free) aerobics class on the Glory in '04. I would think that something like a step class (which requires more balance & agility than aerobics done on the floor) might not be offered while at sea, or during "rougher" seas, so as not to cause injury. I remember the aerobics class seeming a little bit tougher than ones I've taken on land for this very reason - there was the added difficulty level of keeping your balance while on a moving ship!

Head over to the gym at your first opportunity once on board - it should be pretty empty on sail away day. It's a perfect time to scope out what that ship has for equipment & they should have a list of that week's classes posted (free and otherwise), or even printed on a sheet you can take with you.

Sha

Not sure about step classes. I decided beforehand to take the stairs instead of the elevator. That lasted about 1-1/2 days. I then relented to the theory of 'you're on vacation, have fun'!! Enjoy your cruise! :D

I take the stairs ALL the time. I find that most of the time - especially when going downstairs - I get there faster than waiting for an elevator!

Sha

• 3 months later...

Archived