Danger on Carnival cruise?

Jante

I don't mean to start anything but did anyone hear in the news recently about someone getting thrown overboard or raped or something on a Carnival cruise? DD heard something (she's not exactly sure of details) & its freaking her out (first cruise is in 28 days on Miracle!) I told her she needs to exercise routine caution - don't go to some strangers room, go on deck alone at 4am etc. Does anyone know about this sop I can set the poor kid's mind at rest?

I watch the news every night and keep check on world events on the computer every day and I haven't heard a thing. My husband reads the newspaper from cover to cover everyday and he's heard nothing. And believe me, this would be headline news! If someone were raped or thrown overboard on any cruiseline, it would be big news! The media would attack it like vultures. Just tell your daughter that she must be mistaken or overheard only a piece of a conversation and took it the wrong way. If this did happen, I can't imagine it not being all over the papers. I don't think she has anything to worry about. I feel safer on the cruises than I do on some land based vacations.

Jante, I really hate to say this and don't mean it to strike fear (as I am sure all parents understand this...), DD has a MUCH larger chance of having something like that happen walking in a park, down a street, in school, etc... there are so very few incidents on cruiseships and as long as you are aware of your surroundings (which as women, we should ALWAYS be), she should be fine. There have only been a couple of "overboard" incidents on Carnival over the last 2 years... and they all involved alcohol.... I don't know how old your DD is, but if you are concerned, make sure you know where she is at all times and get the walkie talkies.... good luck and have fun!

All places in this world are places where there is risk. The real problem is that on a ship, some people let their guard down. I believe that children/teens need to be taught not to go to anyone else's cabin ever unless parents are with them. They also need to know not to allow anyone into their cabin - again unless parents are there as well. At the very least, siblings can buddy up providint a small level of security. Carnival (or any other line) does not prevent teens from leaving Camp Carnival. They can wander off with anyone they just met. I would think that being in public space would usually be pretty safe. I came home from my kids' cruises needing a vacation. Parenting is an exhausting deal - made even more so by the relaxed fun atrtitudes on a cruise ship.

I was on a RCC ship two years ago, and some guy was all boozed up and was trying to climb from one balcony to the next & fell in. They had to do a "search & rescue" and because of the reports/paperwork, the ship got into port several hours late.

Thank you all for your prompt replies. I have read them to my DD and she is now reassured! We are eagerly awaiting our August 7th departure! Thanks again for all yr help!

Not to beat a dead horse, but there was a case (reported on Cruise Critic) of a crew member on either NCL or RCCL (can't remember) who was found in the water after many hours. She wouldn't say what had happened, but speculation was that she had been tossed over by another crew member. Carnival is such a well-known cruiseline that any time ANYTHING happens on any cruiseline, people automatically think Carnival. That doesn't mean that things don't happen on Carnival--obviously you need to use common sense, as you do anywhere (& there are indeed creeps out there--not trying to blame the victim). But if your friend worries about bad things happening, she might as well never leave her house. And as for going overboard--once you see how high the railings are, let's just say that someone would really have to be trying (or have someone physically lifting them) to go overboard.

There have been several reports in the past year about people overboard... There was a drunk guy on the COnquest that ended up drowning, a guy mysteriously fell off the Celebration, but was resques, a case on HAL which was deemed a suicide, a missing passenger that disappeared on a ship on the West Coast that was thought to be domestic violence, but I never heard the final result, and a report of a crew member on Crystal that was never found inthe Pacific between Hawaii and Fanning Island. Most cases are self-inflicted or just general stupidity int he case of the guy on the COnquest.

I agree with Yarlena on the sexual assault issues. Be smart and you can avoid putting yourself i na precarious situation. There are cameras throughout shipos and crowds around that will prevent most anything.

Archived