Just returned from Star 7/4 - 7/11

jus4fun

My husband and I just returned from our first cruise. We sailed on the Star to Alaska. It was a fabulous, over-the-top vacation. We were on board by 11:30am on the 4th and we in a taxi-cab on are way to a hotel by the airport by 9:30am on the 11th (if we had known it deembarktion was so quick, we would have scheduled a flight for the same day!). We have absolutely, positively NO complaints, everything was way above our expectations. Rather than ramble on, if you want specifics just let me know!

We can not wait to cruise again and will most certainly sail Norwegian!

Glad to hear you had a great cruise. We also had a wonderful cruise and were really impressed with NCL but we were on the Spirit the same time you were on the Star. I've got some great pictures of your ship as it sailed by us in Juneau and as it docked in Skagway. Did you happen to get any pictures of the Spirit? I'd be glad to email you some of the pictures if you're interested - the Star is a beautiful ship!

jus4fun,

I am so glad that your first cruise was so wonderful!! Mine was, as well, and I instantly developed what has turned out to be a long-lasting, true love of cruising. I am glad to hear of others having great experiences on the Star to Alaska, as we did June 20-27. WHAT A TRIP!!

brunolvr,

the Spirit is beautiful, as well, inside and out. I would love to take a cruise on the Spirit!! I have a picture of her as we sailed into Juneau, but I was committed to the buffet (with the family) at the time and it was taken through the window.

How about Glacier Bay, eh?!!!!

Julie

So glad you all had a great cruise to Alaska. Our June 27 group did as well. I don't know why all they complaints about NCL because I sure haven't had any problems on any of the ships I have been on or with their customer service. NCL is still my #1 choice and I am still dreaming about our Alaska Cruise. I have most of my pictures back and I can't stop looking at them!

Hi Cruisers.. welcome back!

Can you tell me what was your most favorite shore excursion and your least favorite?

I was watching the webcam last week and noticed it was foggy and rainy quite a bit ~ seem you all had a great time anyway.

Whats the best way to pass the time on the at sea days?

My daughter wants to know if anyone was using the pool (crazy child)

Thanks in advance.

Glad to hear that you had a great time. I too noticed that the webcam looked like you encountered lots of rain. How was your weather? What shore excursions did you do, and which one's did you hear great things about? I noitced that you asked about laundry facilities in one of your pre-cruise posts. What did you do about laundry, wash somewhere, or just pack heavy? Thanks in advance!

Casshew,

my family swam in the ship's pools on many of our 7 days on the Star. We had especially hot weather on some of the days, but even on a few of the "moderate" days they used the pools. One day, it was a cold and windy at the kiddie pool (aft), but they just moved to the Oasis pool (midship) where the plexiglass surround cuts down on the wind quite a bit. With the hot tubs to warm up the adults occasionally, it was pretty easy to accommodate the kids and their overwhelming appetite for swimming time:D .

We did some great excursions in Skagway: the train/bus/gold rush trail camp combo and the free, ranger-guided walking tour of downtown.

In Ketchikan we went snorkeling---EXCELLENT! and not a bit cold. Also, who cares if it rains, you're wet anyway:D .

In Juneau we grabbed a shuttle to Mendenhall glacier, then returned back to town and took the Mt. Roberts Tram up the hillside to see eagles and great views of the cruise ships below. I would recommend these diversions as well!

Happy Alaska cruising!

Welcome back Julie and family. Looking forward to your review. I know you probably have yard work (our lawn was 7 inches high), laundry (we had four loads) and various other things to do first. We also came home to a dog infested with fleas. Had to flea bomb our house and the doggie sitter's (Bruce's mom's) house on day two at home. Ugggghhhhh!!

Take care and can't wait to read your review.

Cathy

P.S. As for the above question re: rainy, we only had about 1 hour of light rain in Skagway, just as everyone disembarked into town. Soon that cleared up as well. I guess there is no way to predict the weather.

Hi Cruisers.. welcome back!

Can you tell me what was your most favorite shore excursion and your least favorite?

My daughter wants to know if anyone was using the pool (crazy child)

Thanks in advance.

As far as shore excursions, the three we went on were all great:

Wilderness Fishing & Dining in Ketchikan-my younger daughter and I caught three large fish each including a pink salmon. We also had dolphins swimming around our boat, saw seals & sea lions and had eagles swoop down within a few feet of us to pick up discarded fish. My wife and older teen preferred spending the morning shopping-their loss.

Helicopter glacier landing in Skagway-fantastic!

Mendenhall glacier and Whale watching in Juneau-we saw a row of 11 whales bubble feeding.

There were plenty of folks in the ship's pools & hot tubs. Being Floridians, we just shook our heads.

Jay

First of all, to all of you leaving the 18th; have a great cruise. You too can write a review! I have a few questions for those whoi sailed on the July 4th cruise. How was the weather? What time did you get to Juneau? How was the food in the main restaurants and any alternatives you might have went to? Thanks, glad you had a great cruise. I'm really getting excited about our August 8th cruise.

Casshew,

We did some great excursions in Skagway: the train/bus/gold rush trail camp combo and the free, ranger-guided walking tour of downtown...

Happy Alaska cruising!

Hi, zimmerjulie.

I am interested in more information about the free ranger-guided walking tour of downtown Skagway. It sounds like a good activity we could do in addition to our planned trip on the Yukon and White Pass Railway. Is there a souce you can reference for the walking tour? Where and how do we find it?

Thanks!

Cruise 'n Shopper,

Julie posted this website in another thread re: the ranger guided walk in Skagway. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/ .

Sounds like you sign up for a time in the Visitor's Center - it lasts 45 minutes. We are also planning on going - sounds very interesting. The site also contains information about things to do in this port.

I noticed some of you mentioned the webcam looking very rainy for the week of this trip - it isn't always what it seems! We were on the July 4 sailing and whenever we looked at the webcam from our room it looked like it might be raining - even when it wasn't! There was a lot of mist at times that must gather on the lens. There were even times when it looked nice through the webcam, but it was really overcast and somewhat gloomy - go figure!

The only rain we had was the first day at sea, it was very overcast and rainy for most of that day. Other days were overcast, but not raining.

Our favorite excursion was Captain Larry's whale watching in Juneau. We saw a whale breech, came very close to 3 whales swimming together, saw eagles close-up and had a naturalist on board to explain everything and get us close to the action.

Here are some pictures I took of the Star from our ship, NCL Spirit, in Juneau and Skagway. If anyone has pictures they took of the Spirit from the Star, I would love to see them! Hope this works okay - http://community.webshots.com/album/163098048CrjRLO

and, also, the pictures look better if you check the "normal size" box and not view them at the "fit to window".

I am glad that you can such a great cruise I really enjoyed ours June 20-27

I have posted some pictures also go to cruise@addicts.com and go to their gallery and it is under Alaska 2004.

No one can believe what great weather we had when I tell them but this year it seems to be warm in Alaska . I would love to hear your review of your trip also.

brunolver,

We got a few pictures of the Spirit's June 19th cruise. We were on the Star June 20th and I will look again and see how many we have. We were in Seattle early and watched the Spirit take off and then I think we took a couple in Juneau when we both were there. You won't be on the balcony waving since your were'nt on that sailing but it just might do anyway!

Luanne

Casshew and Alonzo14.

You guys get ready because one day of your journey you will see each other's ship and you will be racing up the inside passage I believe. Get ready to wave at each other and I won't tell you who wins the race. ;)

Luanne

Casshew and Alonzo14.

You guys get ready because one day of your journey you will see each other's ship and you will be racing up the inside passage I believe. Get ready to wave at each other and I won't tell you who wins the race. ;)

Luanne

LOL... we should place wagers :D

Archived