Seapass Question

jamessa

Just off the Monarch and I don't think there was a hold on the card, although when I got back I noticed 2 charges: one for the total amount of the sea pass charges and one for exactly half. I wasn't sure what the one for half was, and just as I was about to call RCI and ask what the charges were for, it was taken off, so I am not sure what that was all about :rolleyes: ...

I would call your bank though, and make sure there isn't a "daily limit" that they put on your debit card so you don't run into problems. If there is a daily limit, make sure it is enough for you.

I have heard stories where their daily limit was exceeded, and they weren't able to use their card the rest of the cruise until they talked to the bank.

It won't hurt to let your bank know anyways, so they know you might be using it out of the country if you use it in ports.

Have fun !

Just off the Monarch and I don't think there was a hold on the card, although when I got back I noticed 2 charges: one for the total amount of the sea pass charges and one for exactly half. I wasn't sure what the one for half was, and just as I was about to call RCI and ask what the charges were for, it was taken off, so I am not sure what that was all about :rolleyes: ...

That was probably the hold amount.

I do this on the Rhapsody and it works well. I tell them I am going to pay cash, they do not require anything up front and the week limit is 500 before they shut you off until you pay. Then on Friday evening or Saturday, I pop down to the pursers desk and tell them I want to pay with my CC/Debit card, and give it to them, they switch it out and verify my charges to date will go thru, then I as long as I have money to cover it on my Debit card, I do not have to worry. It saves that not being sure if they are going to run "test" charges to your card. I have had that happen and my bank wonder what was going on so shut off the card, had it happen to a friend too. Doing it this way, saves me the hassle of having to contact the bank to warn them this is going to go on. They know I cruise so a charge from RCCL does not worry them but several in one week sends up flags.

In the end only the final charge really goes thru, since that is the only one they submit. The other times are just to make sure you have funds to cover your charges to date.

Not sure the cash limits are the same on all ships or if some require you to put up the cash up front but I know on the Rhapsody they dont.

I'm doing everything on my debit card on the Sovereign in 2 weeks but I've tried something different this year. I've credited my seapass account in advance. Had a client pay invoice early , a surprise to me, so I called gifts and gear at RCCL and applied 250 to one reservation and 250 to another...we have 2 rooms. We've averaged about 400-500 on a 4 day cruise with a family of 4. Nice going in with it all paid for. Just doing what my parents did...No Credit...always cash.

I'm doing everything on my debit card on the Sovereign in 2 weeks but I've tried something different this year. I've credited my seapass account in advance. Had a client pay invoice early , a surprise to me, so I called gifts and gear at RCCL and applied 250 to one reservation and 250 to another...we have 2 rooms. We've averaged about 400-500 on a 4 day cruise with a family of 4. Nice going in with it all paid for. Just doing what my parents did...No Credit...always cash.

When you've done this, does the amount show up on your seapass account the day of embarkation or do you have to wait a few days for your account to reflect the prepaid $?

When pre-paying your seapass by buying a shipboard credit through Gift and Gear, the amount is applied to your seapass within 24 hrs of boarding. You will get confirmation cards of the amount on account in your cabin. I've done this on my last 7 cruises and never had a problem

I do this on the Rhapsody and it works well. I tell them I am going to pay cash, they do not require anything up front and the week limit is 500 before they shut you off until you pay. Then on Friday evening or Saturday, I pop down to the pursers desk and tell them I want to pay with my CC/Debit card, and give it to them, they switch it out and verify my charges to date will go thru, then I as long as I have money to cover it on my Debit card, I do not have to worry.

Not sure the cash limits are the same on all ships or if some require you to put up the cash up front but I know on the Rhapsody they dont.

Hi Nitra,

We've done the same thing on NOS and EOS with no problems. On EOS back in 2004, the limit was $200 per person. I wouldn't be surprised if the $$ limit has changed by now.

I learned about doing this a few years back here on the boards.;)

Treven,

I called RCCL and requested a receipt for the advance payment. You can call Gifts & Gear and request a receipt to be faxed. it won't show up on your reservation. It's like giving yourself a gift certificate. They'll even ask you what you would like to say on the card they leave in your stateroom. This is the first cruise that I've pre-paid the seapass account so I'll report on how it worked but RCCL said I'd have the credit as soon as I got on board.

Archived