Both Queens in Southampton 30OCT06

catandave

It appears that both the QE2 and QM2 will be in Southampton on Monday 30th October.

The schedules show that QE2 Sails for the Mediterranean at 5.00pm and QM2 is sailing on a Transatlantic at 6.00pm.

I dread to think what the departure terminal will be like. That is if they both use the same facilities. Anyone out there with any insight?

The good thing from my point of view will be that my wife and I will be doing a QE2 back-to-back with the Zeebrugge cruise and we will already be on board....I hope they don't make us join the freshly embarking passengers. But then again we dont want to miss a photo-op (who knows, one day we may get a good one!!)

What caused me to look at the schedules was a comment from Cruise-Connect regarding the transportation of our parents, from Leeds, for the first 2 day cruise.

"We may in fact be able to bring them back on 30 OCT with cruise connect

- only because we have 2 ships sailing in on that date, but delays will

occur

Because of this as they will have to go to the QM2 to collect their

passengers first before heading north."

It seems that they will not be running coaches down for embarkation on to the QE2 short cruise (28OCT06) from the Nort East due to lack of demand.

Can't wait to get on board again and it will be great to see both ships together.

It appears that both the QE2 and QM2 will be in Southampton on Monday 30th October.

The schedules show that QE2 Sails for the Mediterranean at 5.00pm and QM2 is sailing on a Transatlantic at 6.00pm.

I dread to think what the departure terminal will be like. That is if they both use the same facilities. Anyone out there with any insight?

The good thing from my point of view will be that my wife and I will be doing a QE2 back-to-back with the Zeebrugge cruise and we will already be on board....I hope they don't make us join the freshly embarking passengers. But then again we dont want to miss a photo-op (who knows, one day we may get a good one!!)

What caused me to look at the schedules was a comment from Cruise-Connect regarding the transportation of our parents, from Leeds, for the first 2 day cruise.

"We may in fact be able to bring them back on 30 OCT with cruise connect

- only because we have 2 ships sailing in on that date, but delays will

occur

Because of this as they will have to go to the QM2 to collect their

passengers first before heading north."

It seems that they will not be running coaches down for embarkation on to the QE2 short cruise (28OCT06) from the Nort East due to lack of demand.

Can't wait to get on board again and it will be great to see both ships together.

I thought the QM2 was going to have her pod replaced at the end of october and it would take the better part of a week???????????

Does this mean you are on for the Med trip as well? lm doing the Zeebrugge as well, Did a posting earlier and got a response from another traveller on the mini trip, Shall we organize a gathering?

Wonder if QE2 is at her own berth or the P&O terminal?

cheers

Myles

According to Southampton VTS (http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp)

QE2 is at 38/39 (Queen Elizabeth II terminal )

QM2 is at 106 (Mayflower Terminal)

I'll be coming in on the QM2. Is it likely it will sail past the QE2? It'd be great to see that classic ship.

ships going to/sailing from 106 sail past 38/39 - so perhaps, but it will depend on sailing schedules

(see the solent water link above - they have annotated aerial pictures of the berths e.g. http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Solent%20Ports/Solent%20Ports%201/page5.html)

Karen

Looks like QM2 is arriving earlier than QE2 so the old girl will probably not be there when you come in to Southampton. There is always the chance you will be delayed, if so you could get the chance. If nothing else you will see her arriving in the distance.

If you are Southampton for the day, you can get harbour cruises from the Hythe Ferry terminal. They give you a good chance to see the ships (even doing a quick return trip to Hythe will give chance to see Lizzie on her docks. See http://www.hytheferry.co.uk for details.

Karen, thanks for posting the VTS cruise ship link (I only had the VTS daily movements page before - I didn't know they had started doing the cruise ship only page).

ships going to/sailing from 106 sail past 38/39

If you click on the terminals at the VTS site, you get a picture showing all 3 cruise berths and their relative positions - You sail in from the right, and out to the right. (or use this link http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/city%20cruise%20terminal.pdf - its a PDF file giving directions to a particular terminal - scroll to the bottom, and enlarge the picture)

Transat_jon - they have done it for a while - but it keeps moving ! It used to show upto a year (I think) but now its just the three months. I always used to find it comforting that the ship I was travelling in had actually booked its berth:)

Another page that is fascinating when a ship is due in (or out) is the 'live' radar page http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/radcap.asp which shows the area around the isle of wight (it is driven by the 'owners' of the site, so sometimes you get odd displays (windows dialogs) and other times it moves - for example when I watched Freedom of the Seas leave different parts of the isle of wight showed)

Karen

Archived