A visit to the ship's doctor

Kinkacruiser

Hello,

First timer needs to ask about the cost of a doctor's visit on board the Pacific Star or similar. I have heard it's quite expensive (hence the need to claim on one's insurance). Are we talking less than $100? Better to be well prepared than not...right?

Also what is the best over the counter meds for travelsickness? I've heard the newer ships are very smooth..true?

Happy countdowns..

Kinka

I've heard the newer ships are very smooth..true?

Dont believe everything you hear.

As far as best anti motion sickness medication goes, it really comes down to what works for you. Personally i would recommend Kwells. They worked for me after countless travelcalms proved to be useless.

But there are people who swear by travelcalms or ginger or magnetic bracelets. So just try and find something that works for you.

Cant remember the price of the doctor, but from what i have heard it is really, really expensive and the main reason everyone should get travel insurance.

take care,

sam

ps. my 100th post, yay

Hi,

We used Kwells and although they didnt magically erase the sea sickness, I think they must have helped. I found that when I took them I still felt queasy and weird but had no urge to vomit or anything like that.

The seasickness, for me, wasnt a constant feeling of wanting to vomit, but rather a strange, unsettled feeling, feeling wobbly from the inside, if that makes sense.

Hubby, who has a stomach of steel, threw up one the first night coming back to Sydney and blocked up the sink in our cabin, which was embarrassing- the rough waters coupled with cheesy pizza, wasnt the best combination.

In the ship's daily newspaper there was something about sea sickness and it basically said that they dont hold much faith in the wristbands and gingseng (I am wondering if they meant ginger, which is good at fighting nausea). Their advice was to stick to lots of clear fluids, avoid alcohol, dont have any rich, spicy food and to go up on deck and focus on the horizon, as that's the only thing that doesnt move.

I think if you have enough to drink, the world will be swaying anyway, so it wont matter! :D

The onboard shop on the Sun sold packets of Kwells and luckily they did because we went and bought another pack on the way back into Sydney.

For us, coming out of and going back into Sydney was the worst- the waters must be rougher or we felt it more because the ship was traveling faster? I'm not sure.

I did speak to a few people who had the injection and it was around the $100 mark, but not sure of the exact amount, but they were fine and dandy for the rest of the cruise while the rest of us were looking a bit off-colour.

My advice is be prepared but also go aboard with an open mind- you might be fine!

The other piece I can give is to have a few lie-downs throughout the day, even if its for five minutes, thats what I did when it got rough. Just being flat on my back and going with the motion kind of centres you again and you feel a little bit better. Eating also helped. I found that I felt sickest while on an empty stomach.

My doctor used to be a ships doctor and told me that the needle they give you is phenergan so he just gave me phenergan tablets to take with but I didn't need them after all. My mother in law swears by those wristbands and she gets sick just watching a boat or anything swaying.

I think if you can get through the first two days, you will be fine.

If you're still not up to it after that, I would bite the bullet and get the injection- its a small price to pay to ensure that you enjoy the holiday you spent thousands of dollars on, if you know what I mean.

If you get the injection, it would be well worth it (depending on the level of sickness of course).

Nothing is more of a holiday dampener than not feeling 100%. You dont wanna look back and say "I wish I had gotten the shot because I spent the whole time being miserable!" ;)

Does anyone know where they inject you? Is it on the bum?

Hubby was not feeling the best after we left Noumea so he just drank Ginger Ale. By the next day he was fine. (did get told it had something to do with the flow of water and the ship going into it.??????probably not a good explanation but never mind!! lol)

As far as Travel Insurance goes I'd check the fine print or find out before hand about any applicable excess. If you can pay a little extra to have the excess removed it would be worth it. Ours had a $100 excess per event so it probably would not have been worth our while to claim for any seasickness shots etc - luckily we didn't need any.

My sister used Avomine from the Chemist - one a night at bedtime and had no signs of seasickness. My doctor on the other hand prescribed Maxolon for us to be taken when needed. Two scripts filled to cover the four of us and only two tablets used for the week - luckily they weren't very expensive.

I think the key to avoiding having to fork out for the injection in the first place, is making sure to take your chosen sea sickness medication before you need them. like the night before you leave. I have been told that just doing this works wonders and also means that you dont have to take as much when you are on the ship.

Phenergan is extremely effective against motion sickness, so much so that it's used by astronauts. However, some folks (including me!) find it makes them very sleepy. Which may or may not be an advantage :confused:

My wife and myself found that a bottle of wine each worked rather well when the seas are alive; on one rough evening, everyone else was bouncing from one side of the corridors to the other, whereas in our slightly drunken state, our weaving coincided with the rolling of the ship and so we walked in a straight line. :cool: Well, that's how it felt to us......

"My wife and myself found that a bottle of wine each worked rather well when the seas are alive; on one rough evening, everyone else was bouncing from one side of the corridors to the other, whereas in our slightly drunken state, our weaving coincided with the rolling of the ship and so we walked in a straight line. Well, that's how it felt to us......"

On my first cruise in 1976 that's exactly how I remember one night. lol. lol.

I seen the doctor on the ship as i was sea sick injection cost me $175 the injection was phenergan in the backside:) didnt hurt..The doctor also gave me tablets called Avomine which you can buy at the chemist.

Needle made be very sleepy had injection at 4pm slept right through till 7am next morning.....Rest of the cruise i could party...

Frank

Archived