To Victor Meld

Coolgran

Hi

Only just spotted your post. Many thanks for the very kind thought. We are driving down to Southampton Monday AM. Stop at Hilton overnight so that we can park the car there. Collect the Ship Tues . Still packing as I type. Think we have covered most angles. Just hope there is plenty of dancing then we will be happy.

Kind regards Graham

I have posted several times asking about the level of service, amenities, crystal and china in the Grills etc.. I guess what I'm asking is: is she what she has always been, a 5 star ship or has Cunard been withdrawing this and that so that one sails on her mainly for nostalgia.

We are booked on the NY-LA sailing through the canal on QE2 next winter and are fondly looking forward to sailing on her again. With all of her perfections in mind, and there are so many, several disturbing criticisms of her recently have caught our attention because they could dampen our good time. Here they are and please comment.

1) She has limited deck space since the Quarter Deck pool has been removed resulting in considerable crowding on deck and not enough room around the pool. (The pool was there when we sailed on her and there was no crowding on our 10 day cruise.) Did you find this to be the case?

2) Inside, in the public areas, one side of the ship is smoking, the other non-smoking and the non smoking side is very crowded and it is difficult to find seating. Is this true?

3) Did you notice the same QE2 fine crystal and china in the Grills? We have heard that it has been downgraded or that there is no fine crystal at all.

Please enlighten us and thank you!

Hi

Only just spotted your post. Many thanks for the very kind thought. We are driving down to Southampton Monday AM. Stop at Hilton overnight so that we can park the car there. Collect the Ship Tues . Still packing as I type. Think we have covered most angles. Just hope there is plenty of dancing then we will be happy.

Kind regards Graham

Have a blistering trip Graham. The Southampton Hilton's OK for overnight and there should be a few more Cunarder's there. Give us a rundown when you get back.............

Best wishes, Anita

1) She has limited deck space since the Quarter Deck pool has been removed resulting in considerable crowding on deck and not enough room around the pool. (The pool was there when we sailed on her and there was no crowding on our 10 day cruise.) Did you find this to be the case?

I don't feel that the deck space is any more limited than it was before the pool went. The pools are certainly crowded - there's only two to go around, not the four there were before. It's not fair for me to comment on the pool facilities though - I haven't had time to go swimming since 1992!

2) Inside, in the public areas, one side of the ship is smoking, the other non-smoking and the non smoking side is very crowded and it is difficult to find seating. Is this true?

It is true that one side is predominantly smoking, the other non-smoking, although it's always seemed to us that the smoking side is packed and the non-smoking side has plenty of space. I think a lot depends on what's happening - if you want afternoon tea in the Queens Room then it'll be very busy - if you want a table in the Grand Lounge at 10-30am then it will be quiet.

3) Did you notice the same QE2 fine crystal and china in the Grills? We have heard that it has been downgraded or that there is no fine crystal at all.

I didn't notice a big difference in the standards of china and glassware between the restaurants. In the grills the standard of service is higher, but everywhere on the ship you get decent food on decent plates. The styles of china used has changed and the costs of that china might have changed as well (you don't get silverware on decks 1, 2 and 3 for room service anymore) but it doesn't make a marked difference to me. Remember, I wasn't eating in the Grills 15 years ago so I might not notice if the china is now only good!

I think that she still is a 5 star ship, but she isn't quite as lavish (wasteful?) as she was.

The cut crystal glasses in the Queens Grill have gone, being replaced by cheaper alternatives.

Last time we were on board, there was still a good selection of crystal in the bar in the suite.

Our umbrella was missing. Although my mother had one in a QG cabin on Deck 2. Suffice to say, it wasn't in her cabin at the end, but in our suite! Apparently as they disappear (read - are stolen) they will not be replaced.

... (you don't get silverware on decks 1, 2 and 3 for room service anymore)...

So, the grill cabins on 1 and 2 get plastic cutlery? I guess the in cabin stocked bars for QG come with plastic glasses on 1 and 2 or have they gone too?

So, the grill cabins on 1 and 2 get plastic cutlery?

OK - I forgot you're all Yanks (:D ) and silverware is cutlery - I meant tea pots, milk jugs, sugar basins, etc.

I guess the in cabin stocked bars for QG come with plastic glasses on 1 and 2 or have they gone too?

Plastic glasses? You must be joking - You're expected to drink straight from the bottle (and that is plastic):D

Archived