Can you leave the ship while your kids are in AO?

darshan

This will be the first cruise we will be taking our daugter (7 yr old) on. We want her to experience the culture, so she will be spending most of her time with us. The question I have is, is she able to stay in AO (RCL) while we are in port if we leave the ship? DH and I would love to scuba dive in Cozumel, but will not both be able to with her in tow.

There are some considerations about this issue. One is how to get in touch during an emergency. I've been on cruises where a child had gotten sick and couldn't be treated by the ship's doctor because they couldn't get in touch with the parents. Another issue is missing the ship. I was on an RCCI cruise where two families left their kids on board and then missed the ship. These poor kids had a two day wait until their parents made it to the next port of call---and one was an infant. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I have left my daughter at AO while we were in port. We would often take her with us somewhere in the morning, have lunch and then take her to AO. My daughter was 3 and 4 at the time and she is very independent and really loved going to AO. I think it is pretty safe to leave a 7 yo as long as you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. Have fun and do what you think is right for your situation.

My daughter's 6th cruise is coming up and we have always left her and her cousins on the ship. My sister and brother-in-law always scuba dive and I have gone snorkling. There has never been any problem. If you book an early excursion through the ship I can't imagine not making it back. It isn't much different than leaving a child in daycare if you work.

Have a great time!!

Is there any way to leave a cell phone with her to be used in case of emergencies? Just so you can be contacted.

I am the mom of a child who caught a virus on board a cruise ship (Disney Magic) and she had a seizure. She had never had a seizure before. So I now always plan for the worst. :(

Because my wife and I both work, each of our three young children (6, 5, and 4) has been in preschool since age 2. I work one hour away from home and am sometimes on the road. My DW commutes by train and cannot get back home before 2:00 p.m. at the earliest. There have been times when we have been called about sick children, and we get there as soon as we can.

Last year, on Radiance of the Seas, our two oldest REFUSED to forego "preschool on the ship." Just as we trust the preschool administrator and the teachers at home, we trusted the counselors and doctor on board the ship. We let them know our intended itinerary and the approximate times when we could be found at each location and enjoyed a day in Cozumel wih our youngest child. The girls had a grand time. We had a nice time being with just our little boy. Since we had only one child to care for, we alternated getting massages by the sea with taking turns keeping the little one entertained. It was great!

On both the ship and at school we left medical authorizations in case of some dire emergency. Our cell phones worked at some port, but not in others.

For this year's cruise, our youngest was finally fully potty trained and I had been hoping that my DW and I could get back to enjoying some more adventurous excursions, but we had to change our plans and will be going on HAL instead. Their policy of having Club Hal in effect only during days at sea already has me grinding my teeth. I am facing another endless round of beach days and light shopping.

My wife and I have so little time together (she leaves at 6:30 and I play Mr. Mom in the morning, but I don't get home until 8:00 at night) that I am already looking forward eagerly to our 2007 cruise, 15 days to Hawaii and back on Serenade of the Seas. Thank you RCCL!

I was on an RCCI cruise where two families left their kids on board and then missed the ship. These poor kids had a two day wait until their parents made it to the next port of call---and one was an infant. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

OMG!!!! Who watched the kids for those 2 days - and took care of the baby!? I can see if they left them with family and went on an excursion, but if they left them with staff, maybe this incident is why they raised the age limit on babysitting.

Because my wife and I both work, each of our three young children (6, 5, and 4) has been in preschool since age 2. I work one hour away from home and am sometimes on the road. My DW commutes by train and cannot get back home before 2:00 p.m. at the earliest. There have been times when we have been called about sick children, and we get there as soon as we can.

Last year, on Radiance of the Seas, our two oldest REFUSED to forego "preschool on the ship." Just as we trust the preschool administrator and the teachers at home, we trusted the counselors and doctor on board the ship. We let them know our intended itinerary and the approximate times when we could be found at each location and enjoyed a day in Cozumel wih our youngest child. The girls had a grand time. We had a nice time being with just our little boy. Since we had only one child to care for, we alternated getting massages by the sea with taking turns keeping the little one entertained. It was great!

On both the ship and at school we left medical authorizations in case of some dire emergency. Our cell phones worked at some port, but not in others.

For this year's cruise, our youngest was finally fully potty trained and I had been hoping that my DW and I could get back to enjoying some more adventurous excursions, but we had to change our plans and will be going on HAL instead. Their policy of having Club Hal in effect only during days at sea already has me grinding my teeth. I am facing another endless round of beach days and light shopping.

My wife and I have so little time together (she leaves at 6:30 and I play Mr. Mom in the morning, but I don't get home until 8:00 at night) that I am already looking forward eagerly to our 2007 cruise, 15 days to Hawaii and back on Serenade of the Seas. Thank you RCCL!

Check this out again with HAL, I have received different answers about leaving the kids while in port. I am under the impression that it is available, but you do need to pay for it....and find one of the counslers that is available.

Archived