Dreading My Cruise Holiday

mumontherun

I have booked a med cruise for myself, dh, ds aged 2 and dd aged 6 months. We are departing in a few weeks and I am dreading it because of all the additional hassle involved with little dd. I need to pack two buggies, 70 nappies (diapers) and 10kg of formula milk.

What freaks me out most of all is managing the bottles. Can anyone help me. Should I pack my steam sterlizer? Or should I bring a plastic bucket? Should I buy entirely disposable bottles and teats? Should I bring a kettle and a bottle of detergent?

On formal nights, we don't want to eat in the dining room. Too much hassle to bring a tux and clothes for babies who might throw a wobbly at any moment. Can we eat somewhere else or are we supposed to order in?

Also, the room looks terribly small. Where will ds sleep? I have been unable to secure an upgrade as RCCL has told TA that the suite is not suitable for 4 only 2.

What about excursions? Is it a good idea to put our kids on a bus for a 10 hour trip to Rome? DS would probably be okay, but dd is very fussy about her routine.

What have I done???? I wish I could cancel this trip and head for a villa in Portugal instead. Please please please help me.:confused:

Thank you in advance to all you experienced cruisers.

mumontherun

~twenty valium a day will only make be sleepier - not calmer~

Do you have the Playtex Nurser system where you live? Disposable liner bags? I just took a few of the bottles, 2 nipples and a box of liners. Then I used bottled water on the ship to mix the formula (no need to steralize anything). I also packed a small container of dish soap to wash the bottles.

Now, the 10 hour trip to Rome? :eek: You are a brave, brave mama. I would never attempt it with two kids that age. My kids travel well and travel often. I have had them in a car for 10 hours...but a bus? That's really risking your sanity. I wish you the best!

I'm sure it'll all turn out fine, try not to get yourself in too much of a dither.

Btw, You haven't said what ship you are on, or which ports to visit!

Sadly I can't give you any help thru experience of cruising with a baby/toddler, but I am a mum to young kids and remember quite clearly the 'hassle' of even visiting relatives. (we've cruised with the kids too, but they were 9 & 10)

Regarding the formula. Can you get larger boxes of the pre-made stuff now? When I used to buy it, it was a single bottle size. If you can, then I'd suggest you hang the expense and just buy these (taking extra 'incase'). Then daily you can pour out sterile milk in DD's bottles. (I wasn't aware you got disposable bottles) I'd think they'd be too expensive to buy, so it might just be worth taking sterilisation tablets (liquid's not a good idea - too heavy and if it leaked...!!) and a smallish container with lid, that you could just leave behind.

You should have a kettle in your room, and perhaps a fridge too.

I'm sure you can buy nappies at each of the ports, but it would be cheaper and more convenient to pack them - just think of all the extra room you'll have for souveniers when they're used up!

Like you said, I'd forget formal night and just plan on having as relaxing a time in the dining room as possible. You could also maybe use the creche occassionally too.

Now tours. My 10 year old couldn't survive a 10hr trip to Rome! But it can be done very easily by yourself. Does you ship offer a tour where they simply take you to and collect you from Rome? If not, then just get a taxi. It is a long journey away from the port, but hopefully your two could snooze then.

Don't try and do too much. I Know you'll want to see as much as you can, but it's just not going to happen. Pick one or two things that are important to you and then just take it easy. Walking around the Med is very enjoyable. If you can go to a beach/water park one day, do it and relax. The ship will also be much quieter on port days.

A thing hubby and I do, is agree which child we will 'watch'. That way you're not left panicing over the 2.

You will manage this holiday fine, the ship is only a floating Hotel. Believe in yourself, and have fun. :)

Hi guys - thanks for the posts.

We are sailing on Voyager from Barcelona at the end of the month taking in Marseille, Villefranche, Livorno, Cittavechia and Naples.

My TA contacted RC but was told that we could not have a kettle in our room. Strike One.

Not sterilse??? I am way to a-retentive for that!! I am going to bring pre-made formula but it will take up all of dd's baggage allowance and weighs a tonne. I will bring the nappies though cos I know what you are saying about souveniers (tee hee!!).

I guess you are right about the crazy idea of taking an excursion. I will probably try Pisa which is only a few hours. It seems that there is nothing to do in Cittavechi though and thats why I thought we might be brave and chance Rome. It seems a shame to be so near and not go there.

I have agreed with dh that we are responsible for one child apiece. He is at best a little crazy when we travel - you know what I mean? We have to run everywhere in case we miss flights, connections, etc. This is our first time abroad with the little 'uns and I'm worried about dh's nerves.

Methinks that any port that requires a tender to shore will be a no go area too then?? I'm wondering too if I should bring blankets for the baby. The general concensus on this forum seems to be to bring sheets. Would this apply to blankets too?

Thank you so much for your comments. I feel like such an idiot that I booked this without researching it further, which is quite unlike me. We are in Ireland btw.

Regards,

Carol

Hi Carol.

Don't give up on Rome. As you say it would be a shame to miss. Just don't do a tour that has you stuck on a bus for 10 hours! Catch a bus,train or taxi to the center and walk around yourself (with a map). We did this and it was brilliant. Just make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to port ;)

Villefrance is usually a tender. When we did the Med (different ship to you) we literally had to jump down into the tender - I was terrified! However, on our last cruise in the Caribbean you could walk on/off the tenders easily, so you'll probably be okay. Villefrance is beautiful, but we went along to Monte Carlo - another city that great to simply walk around. Your hubby and son might appreciate seeing the markings for the Grand Prix and the odd VERY nice car too. If you don't fancy that I think there is a water park in the opposite direction (going towards Nice).

Barcelona is simple - get the ship's bus to the Columbus statue and off you go. There is a bus you can get on/off whenever you wish that tours the city.

At Livorno we did a Florence and Pisa tour (no kids). Piza is closer if I remember correctly and better for the kids. The Tower sits in a park area where your son could run around to let of some steam and there are market stalls all the way up.

Not done Naples or Marseille.

I'm with you on sterilising - especially at 6 months. If the ship won't supply a kettle (can't see why!) then go to Tesco and buy one for £5 and leave it to your chamber maid! I think the hardest bit will be packing a container that takes a few bottles at once (so you're not sterilising all the time).

And you're not an idiot for booking a cruise holiday!

As for bottles, Avent makes disposable bottles that cost about 50 cents each. You have to reuse the adaptor and the nipples. Just buy a small bottle of antibacterial dish soap and a bottle brush and that is pretty sterilized. The bottle part you just throw away and they fit into each other so they dont take up too much room. I dont know if they sell these by you, but I think Avent is a British company and you certainly sound British!!!! We have cruised with our two sons who are now 3 and 1 1/2. One cruise was when they were almost 2 and 4 months. Its not the same as a vacation without them, it is a lot of work, but the looks on their little faces as they see the ship and everything else for the first time is priceless. Enjoy your time with them and your cruise.

Also, as for your dining room dilemna, if you are cruising on RCCL, in room babysitting is available if that is something you are comfortable with. A staff member will come to your room and for just $8 hour will watch your kids, who will probably be sleeping at that point, in your room while you and DH enjoy dinner alone.

We took a very similar cruise for our honeymoon (Palma and Toulon instead of Marseilles). Even just as a couple we found the itinerary exhausting. I would suggest pick ONE "must see" for each port and let the rest happen if it can - even skip a port and stay onboard the ship one day (I'd skip Villefranche). Las Ramblas in Barcelona is interesting, stroller (whatcha call it? buggy! :) )friendly, and near to the port area (not w/in walking, still have to take a bus to Chris Columbus statue). Villefranche (we tendered, too) was a cute town in itself (someone just a did a little article about it - NY Times or Budget Travel?) and it's a quick train ride to Nice and the beach there for some relaxing time. Livorno we did the Pisa/Florence combo tour and that was a long day. I'm with PP who said just do Pisa (check if they have age restrictions to go into the tower), hang around the Cathedral a while and then head back. Florence wouldn't be as kid friendly. Civitavecchia - we took the train to Rome and did a whirlwind tour, too much. I think the train ride was about an hour and 15 minutes. That might be fun for the 2 year old (more fun than the bus). Again, pick one thing - if it were me doing it again with our daughter in the future, I think I'd go for the Roman ruins to Circus Maximus. I *think* you can climb on the ruins (well, people were) so that might expend some energy. It's free too. Naples - ruins at Pompeii might be a good choice, again b/c the 2-year-old could run around. Good thing about ruins - they're already ruined!

We haven't taken our cruise with DD yet but after 2 vacations have learned that vacations with babies are definitely more work than staying home. I don't know if you've ever tried, but maybe a carrier (Baby Bjorn, sling, backpack) would be better for your 6 month old and have an "umbrella" stroller for the 2 year old to lighten the load. I breastfeed so I can't help with the formula question but I can advise to bring extra diapers in case of stomach troubles. I am also bringing a breast pump since I pump milk for DD's cereal (keeping supply up) so I have that bottle and the pump parts to wash. Ship water is very clean so no worries there, I'm bringing a small bottle of dish soap. DD is also very fussy about her routine, it took a few days each time to get into her "vacation routine" - fewer naps, later bedtime, falling asleep in the big bed in the room with us, but it worked out OK. On formal nights (we're doing NCL so there aren't any) you can eat at the buffet. We're going to try to eat in the dining room as much as possible, though, esp. for breakfast and possible lunch, as it will be easier than balancing trays, stroller, diaper bag, etc. Re: where your son will sleep - depends on the layout of the room, some have bunk beds that fold out from the wall. If he's just into a big bed, keep him on the lowest bed. You can also request a portable crib (or two).

Keep in mind that even if DH helps out as much as possible, you'll still feel overtired - but at least you're overtired on a cruise! I'm planning a spa day - one day I'm putting DD in Daddy's hands and taking an hour hot stone massage and reflexology! It might be the only chance to sleep I get. :)

I really hope this helps - sorry it's such a book! Don't worry about "missing" anything - better to have a nice vacation and keep everyone happy (and with enough sleep). You can go back again someday and see more when they're older (or as a second honeymoon!).

Sorry, but sterilizing must be a European thing. In the US, the doctors no longer recomend the need for sterilizing bottles and water.

Like a previous poster said, the liners are already sterlized. You would only need to wash the nipples with an anti-bacterial dish soap.

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesandpacifiers/products/disposablebottles.asp

Here is the info on it and the reason it is no longer necessary....

Sterilize bottles for baby?

My daughter is four months old. How old does she have to be before I can stop boiling her bottles to sterilize them?

The short answer to your question is you can stop now. It is not necessary to sterilize bottles, nipples, or formula.

To understand recommendations on whether to sterilize or not, it is important to realize the history of why sterilization was necessary in the past. In the 17th and 18th century there was a very high mortality rate for infants fed cow's milk. When pasteurization became available, technology allowed for sterile condensed milk to be used for infant feeding. However, during this time, the public water supplies remained largely unmonitored and formula was usually made in batches and left unrefrigerated, Thus, bacterial contamination tended to be a problem. Therefore, it became commonplace to sterilize the water, bottles and nipples. However, by the 1950s, city water supplies became much better monitored and free of bacterial contamination.

Studies were done back in the 1950s, which showed that babies could be safely fed formula made with clean (not sterile) bottles/nipples and tap water. However, by then, sterilization was so commonplace that it was difficult for doctors to stop recommending the practice to their patients, and it was also difficult for grandmothers to stop recommending it to their daughters.

In summary, formula prepared with city-treated tap water in the U.S. is as safe as sterilized formula. United States water from wells, cisterns or other sources should probably be sterilized by boiling for at least 10 minutes, plus one additional minute for every 1,000 feet of your city's elevation.

And this is from Web MD

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/119/113475.htm

Should You Sterilize Your Baby's Bottles?

By Steven Parker, MD

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed By Cynthia Haines, MD

on Thursday, March 09, 2006

In the old days when water supplies were not

reliably clean, it made sense to boil the water before use. But now, sterilizing bottles, nipples, and water is mostly unnecessary.

Unless your water supply is suspected to harbor contaminated bacteria, it is as safe for your baby as it is for you. There is no reason to sterilize what is already safe.

Sterilizing the bottles and nipples is also unwarranted. Thorough cleaning with soap and water gets rid of almost all germs. And once on the bottle, the nipple begins to pick up all the germs in the environment, so a "sterile" nipple and bottle is just a pipe dream anyway.

Also, as for your dining room dilemna, if you are cruising on RCCL, in room babysitting is available if that is something you are comfortable with. A staff member will come to your room and for just $8 hour will watch your kids, who will probably be sleeping at that point, in your room while you and DH enjoy dinner alone.

If reports are right, then the inroom babysitting is only available for age 1 years and up now.

I’m feeling a bit better now – thank you.

I agree that sterlising bottles is probably a waste of time but I just feel that I have achieved something. My sister is a microbiologist and she freaked the first time she used her microwave sterliser as she felt it was anything but sterile. Despite that, she is still sterilising for her nine month old.

It’s a pity that Villefranche is a tender but we have already been to the south of France before. If any of you end up there again then I would recommend the villa of Beatrice Rothschild de Ephrussi and also the Greek villa and an absolute must see is Eze.

Squeakydust – I am wondering why you would suggest leaving the kettle with the chambermaid? It could be handier than you might think. We do enjoy our hot cuppa. My older kids laughed themselves silly at the sight of DH and I sitting in the scorching sun in Portugal drinking hot tea!

1929 – I actually have the Avent disposable system. I used them on a weekend away and used tablets to sterilise the teats but DS could taste the solution of the teats no matter how well I scalded them. She is a fussy little wretch! I have always used the pre-made formula which I usually buy in one litre cartons. It makes me laugh when we are warned about drinking the water abroad when the stuff that comes out of our taps is orange in colour and smells bad. I would never used it to make formula. I have started buying up the small 250ml cartons which means I only need to open and pour as I need it. She drinks 250ml x 4 x 7 days = 28 + spares = 35 cartons just to be sure. This wrapped in bubble wrap as recommended by the manufacturer and distributed across cases. My luggage will be sloshing so much I’ll probably be dragged in for questioning!

I guess I will also need a travel adapter to suit North America?

I am going to buy a second buggy – something light weight. I also need to get two collapsible rain covers. I have a sling but her ladyship has very definite ideas about being hauled around like a papoose.:D

Thanks again for all your tips. We might yet decide to take one short excursion but I will let you know how I get on.

Carol

Sterilizing the bottles and nipples is also unwarranted. Thorough cleaning with soap and water gets rid of almost all germs. And once on the bottle, the nipple begins to pick up all the germs in the environment, so a "sterile" nipple and bottle is just a pipe dream anyway.

And once they start eating dirt, it's *really* not an issue anymore!! :)

My luggage will be sloshing so much I’ll probably be dragged in for questioning!

Once we had about 6 cans of formula in a suitcase. These were the enfamil cans that are metal. When we went through x-ray, the guard's face went pale. He thought it was a bomb!! A female guard took a closer look, saw us with our baby in the stroller and set him straight. Boy did he look terrified. LOL!

I have booked a med cruise for myself, dh, ds aged 2 and dd aged 6 months. We are departing in a few weeks and I am dreading it because of all the additional hassle involved with little dd. I need to pack two buggies, 70 nappies (diapers) and 10kg of formula milk.

What freaks me out most of all is managing the bottles. Can anyone help me. Should I pack my steam sterlizer? Or should I bring a plastic bucket? Should I buy entirely disposable bottles and teats? Should I bring a kettle and a bottle of detergent?

On formal nights, we don't want to eat in the dining room. Too much hassle to bring a tux and clothes for babies who might throw a wobbly at any moment. Can we eat somewhere else or are we supposed to order in?

Also, the room looks terribly small. Where will ds sleep? I have been unable to secure an upgrade as RCCL has told TA that the suite is not suitable for 4 only 2.

What about excursions? Is it a good idea to put our kids on a bus for a 10 hour trip to Rome? DS would probably be okay, but dd is very fussy about her routine.

What have I done???? I wish I could cancel this trip and head for a villa in Portugal instead. Please please please help me.:confused:

Thank you in advance to all you experienced cruisers.

mumontherun

~twenty valium a day will only make be sleepier - not calmer~

Please relax. You are going to have a great trip. First, don't worry that you have to bring so much stuff. Just bring everything that you need and if that means you end up paying porters to carry it all for you, so be it! (Just bring lots of tip money!) As for the sleeping arrangements, you'll figure it out when you get there. Is there a couch or loveseat that you can you use for ds? Can you request a pack-n-play? Worse comes to worse, you can put him on blankets on the floor. Probably not your favorite choice, but it would totally work. I mean, I slept on a floor until I was 9 and I turned out mostly fine :D

Just go easy on yourself. And I agree with the suggestions to take it easy in ports. Don't book something for every port, but definitely get off the ship and enjoy the change of scenery. Ds will appreciate that, too.

If you really don't want to eat in the dining room on formal nights, don't feel like you need to order in. Throw on some casual clothes and go to casual dining or the buffet or whatever else is open.

Just stay relaxed and go with the flow as much as possible. Keep in mind that you may not get to do everything that you want to do, but at least someone else will be doing the cooking and the cleaning, LOL!

Wishing you a fabulous trip. Wish it was me!!!

Carol, I meant for you to leave the kettle with the chambermaid after your holiday was over - to help make more room in your case. :)

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

No cruise for us this year - just Majorca. At least it's another country the kids haven't been to.

One more thing, you probably already have enough to pack, but do you have a portable DVD player? We used one on all of our cruises with our son and it was a life saver. We brought it to the dining room (with headphones), since the dinners were so long, and also had it available for use in the cabin for when I was getting myself ready in the morning or before dinner. Anyway, you could also bring it along in case you decide to go on a long excursion at some point.

Good luck,

Shellie

Hi Squeakydust - Majorca still sounds good to me. At least you will have sunshine, relaxation and above all else - happy kids.

shellie- thanks for that. I don't quite understand the dining arrangements but that clears things up for me. I got word today that we will be at a large table. At the end of each meal the other diners will be covered in pureed food. The little girl can spray a distance of 20 feet. No matter what time she has her dinner at, she likes to participate in our meals too.

BTW - enjoy the mexican riveria.

Our meal time is 8.15pm and I am assuming that is Central European time that the ship operates by/ This means it will be 7.15pm in Ireland (don't mention daylight saving time change). This would suit us well as dh is a type 1 diabetic and has to take his insulin and food at that time.

Definitely feeling better now. Although DS was with the doctor today and has a chest infection. It should be cleared up in a week but we'll have to keep an eye on the baby after that.

TTFN

Archived