Stateroom preferences...

mkaiser

We are planning a cruise on the Destiny and our first cruise we booked an inside, the last two were balconies. I hate to say it, but I think you're spoiled once you book a balcony...it's just great to have it! We were wondering what's more popular...booking an inside just to save the extra $$$ (you're hardly in your room anyway) or just book the balcony. There's nothing better than to step out on a balcony with your coffee early in the morning as you pull into the ports. And with the great ports the Destiny offers I don't know if I should pass that up!

Ya know, sometimes I think someone's not playing nice. Back in the 1980s we had inside cabins. In 2004 we booked an OV guarantee. I just wanted some sunlight. Well, lo and behold, we get to the dock to find that we'd been upgraded to a balcony. Yep, we're spoiled. Nothing less than a balcony for us now.

I do suppose however that if I just had to cruise for one reason or another and could only afford inside, that's where I'd be (but not for long).

I think I'd get claustrophoic, not being able to "see out" atleast a window. We are too frugal to spend more on a balcony, because we honestly didn't spend THAT much time in our rooms to justify it. We save for a year and a half to go on a cruise every 2 years, so any corners we can cut, without short-changing ourselves, we do.

It took me 20 years to coach my DH into cruising so for our first cruise we bought a balcony room and would not have anything less. I know most people say you are never in your rooms but we are early risers (5am) and love sitting out on the balcony in the early morning with coffee in hand, we also love sitting out on the balcony each night just to wind down from the day. My husband loves nothing more then to have that ocean breeze blow in our room and would not be caught without his bunge cord. We both agree there is nothing nicer then sitting out on the balcony and watching the boat pull into the ports. Go for the Balcony is my vote!!

We have the same dilema, first few cruises inside then OV then balcony. It is hard to go back. Price does play a roll obviously. We live near the port of Galveston. If we book a 4 or 5 day cruise from Galveston last minute an inside cabin is just fine. Only suites have balconies on Elation anyway. When we book a seven day or longer cruise well in advance that is when we spring for the balcony.

If we decided to sail for a week from San Juan we would definately book a balcony if our budget permited. Sailing from a hot weather port on a port intensive itinerary really maximizes the possible usage; go for it!

I'm just guessing but the people that say they don't spend much time in their cabins have inside cabins. We spent a lot more time in our balcony cabin than we did in our ocean view cabin we had on our first cruise.

In our OV, I would get up early in the morning and go to the Lido deck, grab a cup of coffee, then sit at one of the tables watching the water pass by. I am not a snob but I enjoy quietly watching the water pass by and get lost in my thoughts early in the mornings. With a balcony cabin, I can grab a cup of coffee from the Lido deck, then head back to the cabin and sit out on the balcony and relax in peace and quiet. If it gets crowded on the Lido deck on sea days, I can always go back to the balcony to sit in the sun.

Why go to the Lido for coffee, when we arrive on the boat we give the cabin stewart a small tip and he has a pot coffee delivered each morning to our room. During the last cruise not only was the coffee delivered but he sent fresh fruit as well, gotta love how they spoil you

Why go to the Lido for coffee, when we arrive on the boat we give the cabin stewart a small tip and he has a pot coffee delivered each morning to our room. During the last cruise not only was the coffee delivered but he sent fresh fruit as well, gotta love how they spoil you

I go to the Lido Deck for coffee because I can get it when I want it and not have to wait for room service or not take a shower yet because room service may come when I'm in there. It's just easier. And we always book on either the Lido or Panorama deck so it's not that far to go.

That’s me too. I don’t wish to schedule a room service coffee not knowing exactly what time I will be waking. Too early, and they’ll wake me up. Too late, and I’m stuck waiting, or will wake DW and DD.

I gave up sacrificing room comfort years ago. I’d rather enjoy ALL aspects of my cruise, including the comfort of my stateroom. Nothing less than a balcony for me!

I've had an extended balcony, inside and a few outsides. For the price, the balcony just isn't worth it to me. I would LOVE to have one every cruise, but I'd much rather use that money on photos, drinks, souvenirs, etc. Usually, the balconies are much more expensive than the outsides. I find that outsides are not too much higher than insides usually, and I must have a window. I would cruise again in an inside, but ONLY if it was a matter of choosing an inside or not cruising at all.

We booked a balcony on the Destiny, because after considering RCCL Adventure of the Sea with a similar itinerary and the fact inside cabin on that ship was the same price as a Balcony on the Destiny, I thought that if I was willing to pay that amount for an inside, why not go ahead do a balcony.

We have done all three - inside, ocean view, and balcony. I never thought I would choose to pay more money for a balcony - I would rather go on more cruises. Having said that, we got the blacony last time to get near our friends. I LOVED the balcony for two main reasons! First, I wake up earlier than my hubby and son, and this way, I did not have to leave the cabin, just broguht the phone away from the "sleeping" people, and ordered room service, and got it and went on my balcony. Having my coffee delevered to me on my balcony was wonderful! In addition, I usually have trouble winding down at night from the excitement of a cruise. I slept like a baby with the balcony because I went outside and listen / feel the breeze before going to bed. In fact, I caught my head sort of nodding and woke up while "relaxing" on my balcony.

Having said that, I do check on prices before commiting to another cruise. If there is a big difference, or we are trying to shove in more cruises, I would definately choose the inside cabin or ocean view rather than not going.

Guess what? My next cruise will be one of those L shaped cabins with the larger balcony. Can't wait to see it!

Archived