Costa Rica Off Road Adventure

Laid-back

Has anyone done the above Puerto Limon excursion listed by RCI? I have looked through many threads and do not see any comments so I don't know if that is because it is new or because it is not good. I notice that it is the only one listed by RCI as requiring a waiver so not sure what the excursion entails. Have done the zip line before and signed a waiver but the zip line excursions do not list a waiver being required. Surely this can not be any more strenuous than the zip line (which was not at all).

Any comment on the Off Road Adventure would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

We just returned today and have to say that next to the Canal by Boat excursion, the Off Road Adventure in Limon really exceeded our expectations. The right up on the ships excursions does not give a very accurate picture of what you'll experience. We were greeted at the dock by the company's owners who conducted the tour. The vehicle was quite something since it was designed by the owners. It will hold about 40 people and we had about 14. The tour rakes you up to the mountains where they take you on a short walk and show you many of the many different plants as well as animals are spotted. You then take a short break for some of the best fruit we have had in a long time as well as a couple of choice of beverages, alcoholic and non alcohol. The is when the rain started on our tour while we were in the forest, because of the type of bus we were in we were able to go across the rive over to a banana plantation then drove through a small village. After that we returned to the ship. Even though it poured rain, it was still a very enjoyable time for everyone on our excursion.

We just returned today and have to say that next to the Canal by Boat excursion, the Off Road Adventure in Limon really exceeded our expectations. The right up on the ships excursions does not give a very accurate picture of what you'll experience. We were greeted at the dock by the company's owners who conducted the tour. The vehicle was quite something since it was designed by the owners. It will hold about 40 people and we had about 14. The tour rakes you up to the mountains where they take you on a short walk and show you many of the many different plants as well as animals are spotted. You then take a short break for some of the best fruit we have had in a long time as well as a couple of choice of beverages, alcoholic and non alcohol. The is when the rain started on our tour while we were in the forest, because of the type of bus we were in we were able to go across the rive over to a banana plantation then drove through a small village. After that we returned to the ship. Even though it poured rain, it was still a very enjoyable time for everyone on our excursion.

Thanks My Cruz, you are definitely a person of your word. We have it booked and are looking forward to this very much so it was great to get some positive feedback. Not looking forward to the rain though because we have had so much of that in VA but the excursion sounds great. Thanks again!!!

I'm not sure why RCI required a waiver, Princess didn't have us sign anything. There were a couple of times that the truck was in a tight spot and the driver had to really work hard to get us around a truck on the mountain. There was not a person on the trip with us that was disappointed. We felt that the right up on the Princess website did not accurately describe the excursion. Hope you have a great time, and don't forget to let us all know how your trip went.

My Cruz: Will definitely let you know how it went. We have never been to Costa Rica before so we are excited about going. We will be back just before Christmas so will let you know then. I notice the excursion is still wide open for our time so apparently not many are doing it. 14 on a bus holding 40 sounds pretty good to me. We did a ship excursion one time and were the only ones on it. We definitely got first class treatment but it would have been more fun if at least a couple of others would have gone. So we are hoping that there are a few others. Still hoping that there will be no rain but the area is a rain forest, so I guess rain is part of the deal. Anyway we do appreciate your taking the time to give us a glimpse of what to expect.

I think the reason more people don't book it is because it sounds like it may be too intense by the title. However, if you can climb up a few steps to get in the bus and don't mind a little bit of a bumpy ride while in the mountains, it's not that at all. Our description said something about it being dusty but that was not the case at all. The guide was really wanting us to talk it up and let the cruise line know how much we liked it. We gave it a high rating on the survey at the end of the cruise.

Hopefully more people will see this post and give it a try.

• 1 month later...
I think the reason more people don't book it is because it sounds like it may be too intense by the title. However, if you can climb up a few steps to get in the bus and don't mind a little bit of a bumpy ride while in the mountains, it's not that at all. Our description said something about it being dusty but that was not the case at all. The guide was really wanting us to talk it up and let the cruise line know how much we liked it. We gave it a high rating on the survey at the end of the cruise.

Hopefully more people will see this post and give it a try.

Well we tried to do this excursion but when our tickets were delivered to the stateroom and I saw we were numbers 3 and 4 I knew we were in trouble. Sure enough the tour was cancelled. We were really looking forward to it. Had to substitute the Bus-Train-Boat Adventure and it was very good as we had an excellent guide. Maybe next time we can do the Off Road one. There was no other ship in port with us so that may have accounted in part for the lack of participation. The Panama Canal was awesome, so it was still a wonderful cruise.

Archived