Island to Hawaii Shore Excursions

Zobrina

Kona -- Captain Zodiac snorkel. Look them up online. They're great. Right at the pier. Great snokeling .. request Capt'n Mike.

Hilo-- I'd rent a car. It's an easy drive to Volcano National Park and you're on your own time. We also booked the ocean waterfall kayaking, but it was cancelled due to high seas. So we did a quick to Rainbow Falls, too.

Kauai-- The helicopter tour is the best. I've done it several times. Take the 55 minute one, you will not regret it.

For good measure, Honolulu--

We rented a car in Waikiki. First up, the Arizona ... get there as EARLY as possible, otherwise it's an all day affair. Next up was Sea Life Park to swim with the dolphins (excellent). After that, a quick trip back to the ship to shower and change. Drove to the Royal Hawaiian for their luau. The best around. Then we drove around Waikiki (had a convertible). Turned the car in, did some shopping, cabbed it back to the ship just in time for sailing. Princess offers some of these tours, but you cannot do them all unless you rent a car. Long day, but you can recover on your return to LA.

We LOVED the Island. Have a great cruise.

Kona -- Captain Zodiac snorkel. Look them up online. They're great. Right at the pier. Great snokeling .. request Capt'n Mike.

Hilo-- I'd rent a car. It's an easy drive to Volcano National Park and you're on your own time. We also booked the ocean waterfall kayaking, but it was cancelled due to high seas. So we did a quick to Rainbow Falls, too.

Kauai-- The helicopter tour is the best. I've done it several times. Take the 55 minute one, you will not regret it.

For good measure, Honolulu--

We rented a car in Waikiki. First up, the Arizona ... get there as EARLY as possible, otherwise it's an all day affair. Next up was Sea Life Park to swim with the dolphins (excellent). After that, a quick trip back to the ship to shower and change. Drove to the Royal Hawaiian for their luau. The best around. Then we drove around Waikiki (had a convertible). Turned the car in, did some shopping, cabbed it back to the ship just in time for sailing. Princess offers some of these tours, but you cannot do them all unless you rent a car. Long day, but you can recover on your return to LA.

We LOVED the Island. Have a great cruise.

Which helicopter company did you use, or was it the excursion that Princess offered?

It did the helicopter tour many years ago several times. We were schedule to do the Princess shore excursion (I think it's 50 or 55 minutes), but high seas prevented us from going ashore this time. :(

For a helicopter tour, I would probably opt to go with Princess, as they have an ongoing relationship that the helicopter company wants to protect. Other tours, we go it on our own, but not sure I want to look for a bargain for a helicopter. :eek:

Kauai - The helicopter tour is NOT to be missed! I haven't cruised Hawaii, but have been to Hawaii/Kauai multiple times. On Kauai, I've done the helicopter tours 3 times. Once with Jack Harter & twice with Island Helicopters.

I would NOT hesitate to book independently with Island Helicopters. Be sure to book the earliest AM tour you can & request that you & your partner have the front seats with the pilot. You will not be disappointed!!! Island Helicopters choreographs their tours to music - an absolutely incredible experience! The Island Helicopter's pilot will give you factual info. & history about the areas you're flying over, but the addition of the music just adds to the overall experience. They'll also give you a video of the tour - very nice souvenier!

Jack Harter's tour was awesome also, but more if you're into the flora/fauna/history side of things. When I went on that tour years ago, they didn't do music at the time - but that may have changed.

Have fun!

Archived