Been to Paestum?

We are going in April. In doing research you have to go to Salerno via train

then take a local train to Pasteum. It looks like its close to Sorrento but

my italian friends tell me you have to go to Salerno to get there.

There is also a Ferry\HF that runs from Salerno to Sorrento and back but its

about a 11/2 hr trip. Here is a site that has a lot of information on Pasteum.

this is history and sites: http://www.paestum.de/en/paestum.htm

This is for a hotel but it has great photos of paestum worth a look.

http://www.ondaverde.it/paestumi.htm

I was actually there last summer but didn't arrive from a cruise ship. I was staying in Naples at the time. We took a train from Naples to Salerno. Going on the recommendation of the guide book we tried to take a bus but it was a Sunday and the buses were running very irregularly. Instead, we took another train there. It may have required another switch but I can't remember exactly. Only local trains actually stop in Paestum and they run once every hour or two. It's a bit more difficult to get to than I expected.

However, it's a very impressive temple site. There's also a museum there that is somewhat interesting but isn't a must see. Overall, the trip from Naples took about six hours (we actually didn't go straight back but took a boat from Salerno to Amalfi and from there a boat back to Naples).

It is a wonderful destination. Magnificently preserved temples and other structures in a rather rural and open setting. The museum across the road from the site was rather small, but we thought it was excellent.

We were staying in Sorrento and rented a car for the day to go to Paestum. It is at least an hour drive from Sorrento partly via the autostrada, which bypasses Salerno. You will want to avoid driving in Salerno, if possible.

If you are limited to public transportation it will be more of an ordeal. Rick Steves' Italy book has a step-by-step explanation of how to get there by bus or train.

Archived