Cayman after Hurricane?

cruzinfreak

I was hoping to travel to the Cayman Islands but then the Hurricane came, this was a while ago, I know...but was just wondering how Cayman has recovered, its landscape etc. Hoping to take a RC cruise there later this month so really need some imput pls.

Also - any recommendation on what NOT to miss while there???

Thanks!!!

Grand Cayman has recovered nicely from the hurricane. We spent a week there this past January, and although they were still working on things, you really had no clue just how devistating Ivan was (to parts of the island). We noticed over on the East Side, there were still some houses that hadn't been rebuilt, but other than that, they've really cleaned things up.

While we were there, we bought a book called "Paradise Interrupted." It was hard for me to imagine we were in the same place. I was worried that things would still be a mess, but they weren't.

I'd probably put the stingrays on the top of my list as things to do. We also did an island tour (Hell, and the turtle farm) which we enjoyed. Seven Mile Beach is pretty. You could spend the day at Sea Grape or Royal Palms (they offer food, chairs, restrooms, water toy rentals).

You can just grab a cab in the port area to Sea Grape or Royal Palms. The cabs charge per person, per trip. I think it's $4 or $5 per person for a ride to both of these place, but I am not exactly sure of the price (we had a rental car).

Rum Point is another great spot, but it's a 45 minute drive (each way) from Georgetown. You could rent a car and drive. It's really a pretty drive over there. Rum Point is much more tropical than 7MB. There are lots of palm trees. There's a restaurant there, chairs, gift shop, restrooms, volleyball, hammock (I saw only one), and Red Sail operates out of there so you can rent water toys.

The day we were at Rum Point, it was packed, so if you go there, you might rent a car and go straight there, or do one of the tours that offers snorkeling with the rays, and then a trip over there. I think Nativeway might be the only one who offers this. We used Captain Marvin's for our stingray tour (both times we were there).

There's also the rum cakes. You can get those right in the port area. There's a Tortuga shop to the right of the port area. They offer free samples of rum cake and rum.

There's a lot more things to do in GC, but these are some of the things we did. :)

Thank you so much for your help and valuable input...the stingrays sounds like a great experience. Im a little cautious though....what happened to Steve Irwin, i know was a freak accident, do you know is they ever had any problems? Also is there a Margaritavilla in GC too?

Thanks so much

I'd not go near a stingray in the wild, but I would do stingray city. Although they are wild, they are used to humans being around them. But being cautious is good...they are wild creatures.

I read somewhere that the stingray that killed Steve Irwin was a big stingray. And it sounds like he was floating along above it and to me it sounds like the creature felt threatened.

Margaritaville is right in the port area. The front door faces the water. You won't be able to miss it. I'm not sure when it opens...but it was supposed to open in September, I think.

Glad I was able to help...

Have a great time!

It has recovered very nicely....but don't have anything to compare it to! I mean, I've seen other places destroyed by Hurricanes and I could not tell anything here other than a few hotels were destroyed and they haven't completed the rebuild....but everything else was very nice. There is not a lot of vegetation to speak of (atleast where all we were)...the land is almost flat....like a few feet above sea level....everywhere. We LOVED Grand Cayman and would like to fly back and stay a week. We cannot imagine missing the stingray excursion!!!!!!!!!

We got our DVD in and it is fascinating how the Stingrays seemed to almost enjoy your company...they came to you, did not try to get away. If you get nervous, you can always get back on the boat and view their awesomeness (word???) from there.

Archived