Locking Luggage??

lls-con

I've read that luggage locks are not allowed by the airlines, but there have been a lot of suggestions to use "cable ties" or "wire ties."

Forgive my ignorance, but are cable ties and wire ties the same thing, and what are they? Also, I understand that you need to pack nail clippers to remove the ties in an outer pocket. Won't the nail clipper trigger security because it is metal? I don't want to do anything to draw extra attention to my luggage because I do want to pack some alcohol.

Suggestions please!

I never lock my luggage. I never put anything in there that I am afraid of getting lost. In this day and age you never know when they will need to open it. I got a note in mine from the TSA once saying it was searched.

You will find supporters of both schools of thought...Never lock or always lock.

I always lock, always have, but now I use TSA aproved locks. These are locks they can either open by combination or with a special key.

You will have the 'neverlocks' tell you of horror stories of locks being cut off. I have never had this experience, so I can't offer a comment on it.

I believe that if you have TSA locks, that the ywill not be cut off by the TSA to gain access.

In the end, you must make the choice and live with it. I'd rather they be locked, because the TSA aren't the only people handling your luggage.

vincenzo:)

I also have TSA locks for my luggage. The locks can be opened by the TSA with a key. If the lock is opened there is an alert indicator that goes from green to red. On our last trip the lock indidcated it was opened and when I opened the luggage their was a note from the TSA that it had been searched. Luggage goes through two many hands not lock it.

Walmart even carries them in the travel section. They'll be marked on the outside that TSA can open them. I don't have indicators on mine, but have always had the locks relocked and the TSA note inside my bag when it's been searched. Beats losing locks (time and time again)!

Karen

I've read that luggage locks are not allowed by the airlines, but there have been a lot of suggestions to use "cable ties" or "wire ties."

Forgive my ignorance, but are cable ties and wire ties the same thing, and what are they? Also, I understand that you need to pack nail clippers to remove the ties in an outer pocket. Won't the nail clipper trigger security because it is metal? I don't want to do anything to draw extra attention to my luggage because I do want to pack some alcohol.

Suggestions please!

You definitely can LOCK your luggage if you used TSA approved locks. They have key ones and also combination ones. We always use the combination locks. The TSA security has a master key that unlocks them IF needed then they will relock your luggage after inspection. We didn't have any problem using these locks on our last two vacations (one in September during high security time).

9310&$product_image_size=277,170

They cost approximately $10 per lock. You can find them at Brookstone, Travelsmith, QVC and many other stores.

I have a hard sided suitcase with built in TSA locks - Samsonite Silouhette. Prefer a hard side since it keeps stuff from being broken and the locks cannot be cut off. My luggage always gets searched and for two years there have been no problems.

Had my Louis Vuitton purse with a small decorative lock (non-functional) on the front of the purse in my luggage. They broke off the lock! I don't know who was in more shock...them when they realized it was a decoration on the front flap of what was once, before they destroyed it, a very expensive purse, or me when I found my purse destroyed and a small note indicating homeland security had randomly searched my luggage. When I approached them about this, I was told they have a strict no lock policy. I quickly lifted the front flap of the purse to show them it was never locked, as the lock was a non-functional decoration, and held nothing from their sight as it was attached to the front flap only, which was sealed with a simple snap. They just shrugged thie shoulders, and called next in line!:mad:

There have been reports on this very board from folks saying their TSA locks were cut off by airport authorities. So, even though there is a 'universal key' for TSA locks, perhaps some employees do not take the time to locate the key?

I never lock my luggage for airline travel.

You will need to lock your luggage before handing it over to the porters at the pier for the cruise. Carnival says to be sure your luggage is locked, so that's what I do. This is when folks use the cable ties, etc. I happen to have the little lock and keys that came w/my luggage.

Archived