Closest beach to cruise pier

Kenhel

Is there a beach within walking distance (up to 30 minutes) from cruise peir. Would you consider it safe to walk (a mother and young daughter)

I have heard there are inexpensive buses that take you to Maho Bay. The SXM websites I have been on say they are very unreliable and not recommended if you are on a tight schedule. Any comments from cruisers who have used public buses on SXM?? Is there a detailed map of the downtown area and cruise peir that indicates bus pick up locations??

Is there a beach within walking distance (up to 30 minutes) from cruise peir. Would you consider it safe to walk (a mother and young daughter)

All you have to do is to walk to the end of the Pier, you will see the water taxi sign. $5 pp for unlimited water taxi rides all day long. Totally safe, no problem whatsoever. Get off at the second stop and there is a huge beautiful beach right there. No charge to use the beach, but if you would like a chair and umbrella, it is usually $5 per person. Shopping is just a few steps away up from the beach with a narrow street and lots of shops accesible. There are different places to catch the water taxi, just look for the signs. Perfect day for a mother/daughter outting and perfectly safe.

Great Bay Beach is perfect for sitting in the sun and enjoying the view. Be advised Great Bay is an industrial port and the beach is man-made. For me, I would NEVER go into the water at this location. The risk of exposure to ecoli and other sanitary contaminants is very high.

Having been to St. Martin several times I always wondered WHO in their right mind would go to that beach?! For a few $$$ more, take a taxi (they're everywhere) to Orient Beach (a 20 minute drive away) for a much more clean and fun time!

I have heard there are inexpensive buses that take you to Maho Bay. The SXM websites I have been on say they are very unreliable and not recommended if you are on a tight schedule. Any comments from cruisers who have used public buses on SXM?? Is there a detailed map of the downtown area and cruise peir that indicates bus pick up locations??

Don't feel intimidated by some of the posters here. If you would like to save some money and just go to Great Bay Beach to soak up some sun, have some cool drinks and work on your tan, it could be the perfect beach for you and your daughter.

It is only steps away from the Boardwalk and all of the restaurants and bars there. Only a few more steps away from the fantastic shopping on Front Street.

As kal has stated, and as I have posted in other threads here, it's not a beach I would choose to go into the water.

It's certainly safe to walk there, and is on the order of the 30 minutes that you mention, but consider the $5 water taxi pass for all day (it may be cheaper for children, if that applies), especially if you're considering going back to the ship for lunch.

There ARE buses to Maho. It's not that they are unreliable, it's much more that there is not a schedule for the buses. The 'system' is a number of independent drivers with their own vehicles that drive the routes that they choose on a schedule that they choose, usually depending on the number of passengers along any given route.

The routes, themselves, are fairly fixed. The stops in downtown Philipsburg are located along 'Back Street'. The next street over away from the bay behind Front Street. To find a stop, go to the Court House, and walk a block away from the water. You'll see marked spaces with signs labeled 'BusseHalte' or something close to that. The destination for any given bus will be on a sign (usually) in the lower left hand corner of the front window. Look for a bus with either 'Maho' or 'Mullet Bay' (sometimes 'MBay') in the window. If you have any doubt, just ask, as it is truly 'The Friendly Island'.

gary

We just got back from St. Maarten and we took a tour at the end of the pier. (as long as we got 8 people) it was only $25.00 ea. We saw a beach we wanted to stop at. It's called Sunset Beach and I think it's on the French side. Ask anyone or go online and key in Sunset Beach, St. Maarten. It looked absoulutly beautiful and the tour guide said it's a public beach. We will check it out next year when we go back.

We just got back from St. Maarten and we took a tour at the end of the pier. (as long as we got 8 people) it was only $25.00 ea. We saw a beach we wanted to stop at. It's called Sunset Beach and I think it's on the French side. Ask anyone or go online and key in Sunset Beach, St. Maarten. It looked absoulutly beautiful and the tour guide said it's a public beach. We will check it out next year when we go back.

Hmmm, I wonder what beach that is? Here is the list of all the beaches on the island and "Sunset Beach" isn't one of them.

EXCUSE ME!!! I just checked it out and it was a beach near Sunset Beach Bar (a tiki bar) And the beach there is magnificent! I only saw a huge sign that said Sunset Beach resort (or something like that) Please find a search and key in Sunset Beach in St. Maarten and you will see where it is. It's near the airport.

That's kinda what I figured. It's Maho Beach that you're looking for. As a tip, the only attraction of that beach is the location at the foot of the runway and proximity to the Sunset Beach Bar.

From a pure beach perspective it's very small and the sand comes and goes with the season. At some times there are more large boulders than sand. Due to aircraft landings/take-offs only a part of the beach is functional. The noise, huricane force jet blast, flying sand and jet exhaust heat is a serious problem for beach dwellers.

Thanks for advice on the water taxi and the list of St Maarten beaches- sounds like an ideal plan. We will definitely get off at the 2nd stop and check out the shopping. How often does the water taxi run and what is its route?

After we look around at Great Bay we would like to hop back on the water taxi and see another beach!

Archived