Is anyone else a complete idiot on heels?

so there

As someone else mentioned, cheap shoes are SO not worth it. It's not that you have to be exhorbitant, but this is one area in which it will be really worth your while to spend a few extra bucks. Good shoe construction is everything!

My three favorite pairs of dress shoes are all 4 inches. The heel is attached sturdily- meaning, the shoe can take my weight on the heel without wobbling.

I find in 3 inch heels and above, that walking is so much easier if you allow your hips to go with the motion of the walk. I don't mean "swing your hips". Not at all. It's kind of hard to describe, but as I step forward, my hip sinks to the side that is stepping. I find that I jam my knees if I don't do this.

My best advice? When you find shoes with heels that you actually like, buy them in every color you think you might ever wear.

I'm an art teacher, on my feet the WHOLE day walking around the classroom to keep an eye on what the kids are drawing, so I never get to wear heels. (I see some teachers in them and it just amazes me.) I love the way heels look- they make me even taller (I'm 5'7") and make my legs look longer and, therefore, skinnier :D- so I do wear them when I get a chance!

I'm bringing both flats and heels on the cruise. I will probably wear the heels to dinner, and dinner only, and then change into the flats if the heels are uncomfortable to walk around in. I wear the thick, clunky heels, so they shouldn't bother me, though. I couldn't wear a stiletto to save my life. I'm a clutzy girl.:rolleyes:

Personally- I look for a heel that's well attached. Meaning whether the heel is thick or stiletto, you won't be able to wiggle it even a little bit from where it attaches to the heel cup.

When you try on a well made shoe, there will be no pinching, grabbing or rubbing on either heel or toes. Truly- a good shoe won't need much "break in". It will be made of either quality leather, or fabric that is sturdy.

Shoes that are faux leather have always had issues in my experience.

So- I would never say I'm an "expert"- - but having worn heels, some extremely high, these things in my experience count towards a well made shoe.

Archived