Should I Rent a Car in St. Thomas or Antigua?

s_notes

I'll be on the Norwegian Jewel, Nov. 5th from Miami to the Eastern/Southern Carribbean. I'm interested in visiting English Harbor area in Antigua and Coki Point area in St. Thomas. I was wondering if it is worth renting a car or jeep to see these locations and be able to stop along the way there and back (time permitting) whenever we want. I'm looking more at the experience side of it than the cost difference but am interested in hearing what everyone has to say about both. I would say my girlfriend and I are adventurous but we're also on vacation and are looking for convenient and stress free adventure.

I always rent a jeep in St. Thomas to get out of the madhouse that is Charlotte Amalie when there are so many ships in port. There is a Hertz location an easy walk from Havensight.

You can get up into the hills, go to Mountain Top, hit some great beaches.

Antigua is home to 365 beaches and they are wonderful to explore. Drive up to Shirley Heights for a great view over the island.

I prefer to get away from the hordes personally so renting a car is something I do often.

I would never rent a car in port! You don't know the roads, they drive on the other side and you have to watch where you're driving so can't just watch the scenery going by. We have arranged with cabs to show us around and take us where we wanted to go. In Antigua he even just stopped at one of the MANY beahes so we could sun and swim. He also told us about the island, things we never would have known about if he hadn't told us! You don't have to agree to the 1st price he says. In Roatan we keep saying 'no' to the cabbies til one offered a much lower price for same thing. You'll enjoy the ports much more if you're not trying to find someplace! Get a cabbie to drive you!

We wanted to see a number of things in Curacao so we rented a car. I researched, ordered a map of the island in advance and plotted our trip. The price tag was cheaper than taking a shore excursion but...

1. The map was very detailed but the city streets didn't have street signs which meant we saw a lot of neighborhoods. Interesting but time consuming.

2. We did see everything; found that the National Park was a disappointment and bug infested.

3 At dinner, found out that another couple had just walked to the end of the pier and booked a tour and saw everything we did and more for less money and with more information provided by their guede.

I know YOU are talking about St Thomas but thought my experience might apply.

When we were in St Thomas in a cab heading back to the ship after a day of sailing and snorkeling, the cabbie went up into the hills to avoid a HUGE traffic jam around the harbor and it was very interesting. A lot of very narrow roads with sharp turns that he took at break-neck speeds!

If and when we go back, I want to hire a cab/van and let them take us to places we want to see and then just let them show us their island.

It is a beautiful island, and whatever you choose, have a wonderful time.

Thanks for your replies, I think I decided against renting a car. Maybe if I return on a cruise or fly directly I might reconsider but for now I'll stick with the cabs.

We have a roll call for NCl Jewel 11/5, come join us....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=263297

• 2 weeks later...

We did a land based vacation in STT/STJ this summer and all it took was DH pulling out into the road on the wrong side (our right side!!) one time with a huge truck coming at us to get him trained in a hurry on which side of the road to be on. We had fun though and to see how the taxi drivers drive would scare me more than my DH driving.:eek:

Archived