What happens if very few kids on Celebrity?

mygirlscats

We're sailing Celebrity for the first time on a 14 day South American cruise. This itinerary will not draw a lot of families with kids, but I'm praying my 11 year old won't get too bored (I'm trying to gently reduce her expectations...this will not be like 7 days in the Caribbean!)

Will Celebrity still offer any kind of program if there are very few kids?

We were on a 10 day cruise on the Century last November and there were something like 12 kids under 18 on board....and this included a 2 year old and a 17 year old traveling with us. We saw several babies on board, so there were very few children of the age that would be interested in the kid's program.

Usually it was the same 2 girls and 1 boy, in the children's area most of the time we were there (the Century staff allowed us to let our 2 year old to play in the area if one of the adults were with him), and they seemed to be very happy and extremely well cared for.

Sometimes I would see a couple of the counselers walking around the ship with a couple of kids, doing different things. So even with just a few kids, they worked very hard to keep the kids busy and happy. To me it looked like those 3 children had private care....how cool is that?

Our cruise this past Dec. had 32 children on board.(3 were ours)We saw a lot of babies and infants under 2, but very few 10 year olds, the age of our oldest. I will say our kids had a great time and enjoyed all the individual attention. We were on a 11 night cruise, and the kids crew commented that they were used to little numbers on longer cruises. They still spent time with the kids and actually liked that they were able to get to know them so much better. Our family had such a great time that we are going again this Dec. for 11 nights. Have a great trip. Janice

We were on a Zenith 14 nite cruise a couple years ago and there were less than 10 kids. My 9 year old son got to pick board games and videos or Nintendo. Nearly every night my 2 daughters (teens) were treated to frappacinos at Cova. They had a fun but different cruise than usual.

Last month we went to Bermuda. The kids club was virtually nonexistent. My son went to several activities and after a few minutes the workers said it was cancelled for lack of participation. He had outgrown his suit and I figured he could eat in the dinner party on formal nights, but even that was canceled, so I had a "date" with him in the casual dining. I think on this cruise the youth workers figured they were on vacation. It seems they should have improvised and after seeing so little kids, planned events accomodating less.

Good luck to you. You can't go on a cruise and not have a great time; some are just better than others.

On three of my six Celebrity cruises, all 10 days or longer cruises, there were less than 4 school age kids on board, and they didn't have a program at all. On a South America cruise, which I've been on a couple of times, there were no school age kids on board at all, and only three infants. Not a very popular cruise for families because in the US, parents cannot really take their kids out of school for two weeks because of all this No Child Left Behind business and rules about attendance.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's like any other aspect of a cruise... much depends on the crew you get on that particular sailing!

Celebrity does advertise a "year-round" kids' program, though, so I will take heart from the positive comments...maybe my daughter will luck out with a counsellor who will "big-sister" her since I profoundly doubt there will be other kids on board!

...anybody with a preteen girl want to come cruising to SA? Anyone? Hello?

I have to say, I wish our family were joining you. Our 10 year old daughter would have a playmate. Nonetheless, I congratulate you for having a terrific attitude. With such a long cruise it would hard to believe that no matter how few children, Celebrity would just up and shut down the kid's club.

Anyway, if you want a glimpse of what types of activities they offer for 11 year olds on a "typical" sailing I have kid's club dailies posted by day and age group.

Wow! I bow to your superior organizational skills...I can't even keep her school photos in one place.

The regular kids' program looks terrific...I did call Celebrity to ask what they provide on the Infinity in this circumstance...three days ago! Some day I'm sure they'll call back....!!

I'm really interested in these comments, because we are taking our 2 children on a 15 night TA in March. We are always off for 2 week spring break and know that the children numbers are low on longer cruises. Celerity told me that the program would run, but doesn't say if there are any other children on a cruise. One reason we like cruising is because we have family time and adult time. Most nights we all eat together, but some we eat after the children have gone to kids club.

We are just hoping there is at least a couple other children around their ages of 7 and 11. I will confirm with Celebrity, to make sure the program is run regardless of the number of children.

Diana

Diana- I see you have already joined your roll call so keep posting asking about other people with kids. You still have a few months before sailing so hopefully there will be other people in the same situation who will be sailing with their kids. Good luck :)

BTW- I envy your living at the Jersey shore, I lived in Point Pleasant for quite a few years :D and miss it terribly.

de13, let us know what you find out...I've been waiting a week for Celebrity to return my call (I left a message with the Infinity Special Services co-ordinator...the general info line said that's who I should ask).

Donch'a love those 2 week spring breaks? I thought the Arctic was the only place that did that (believe me, by springtime you've GOT to get out for some sunlight!)

BTW- I envy your living at the Jersey shore, I lived in Point Pleasant for quite a few years :D and miss it terribly.

I was just in Pt. yesterday for my son's football game! Spent many years in highschool hanging out at the Boardwalk. Now my kids love going there.

I will let you all know if I find out any info from Celebrity regarding children and the sailings. Might also try special services. I have received numbers of children before from other lines...

Diana

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finally got an answer from Celebrity (it seems the woman I left five messages for no longer works there...time to turn off her answering machine, donch'a think?)

They gave me the exact ages and genders of the other kids on the cruise, and offered to call me closer to our cruise date with updated information (hallelujah, there are at least 5 other kids coming, including 2 girls very close in age to my own!!)

She also confirmed that on the Millenium-class ships, the kids' program runs year-round, although it may be modified from the full program. However, she said there will definitely be activities to give my girl some fun kids' time (and me some quiet adult time!). Interesting that she said that for the Millenium class...possibly that's not the case on the smaller ships???

Now I can relax...I know she'll have the opportunity to make some new friends...and she won't be the only kid on board (read: bored only kid).

That's great info! Would you be able to share the Celebrity contact info so I can find any info regarding our March Transatlantic. Really hope there is at least one other child on this 15 nighter....

Thank you!

Diana

We were on the Summit a few years ago during the last week in August. Because most schools are already back in session then there were very few kids on the ship. We were really disappointed in the kid's program, especially because the facilities are great and they did have a staff, but the staff seemed to be on vacation. Our kids had fun (one of my kids is really into going to the kids program no matter what) but compared to the other cruises we were on it was disappointing. I think it just depends on the staff and how much effort they want to put into it with not very many kids.

Archived