luaus in honolulu

nwlywed

We will be on Island Princess Dec.27 and would like to know of any good luaus following atour of Pearl Harbor? Also does anyone know of any New Years eve events on ship? Anyone sailing at that time?

We will be on Island Princess Dec.27 and would like to know of any good luaus following atour of Pearl Harbor? Also does anyone know of any New Years eve events on ship? Anyone sailing at that time?

Hi, I got married on the NCL Star three years ago. We went to Paradise Cove (this place was featured in one of Elvis's Hawaiian movies)for a wonderful Luau. It was great. We went to different huts to make leis; wrist bands of flowers, flower halos, etc. Also, we went to different spots to play some Hawaiian games. They even had a hookilau (sp)?. Then, a hawaiian man climbed a tree/pole and poured roses down on everyone. I think it was called the rose ceremony. They then had everyone come to a small amphitheatre for the removal of the pig from the ground. Great ceremony. It was done right at sunset and one of the men blew a conch shell. Then on to your tables for a feast. Of course then there were hula shows, and people up and dancing. It was absolutely wonderful.

I've been to two different luaus on Oahu; Germaines Luau and The Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Germaines was more of what I expected as a luau - sitting on sand, food, ceremony, etc.

The cultural center isn't anywhere near Honolulu but in case anyone was interested, it's more of a theme park and the luau is more like a huge sit-down (regular chairs) BBQ. Entertainment while eating can be hard to see if you're not close to the stage.

One other thing (or warning) about the Cultural Center is that it's run by the Mormon Church. They do a nice job of portraying all the different Polynesian cultures but don't expect any alcohol or caffeine to be served. No caffeine was hard to deal with after only a few hours sleep and jet lag!

Archived